Fly Fusion Forums

Fly Fisher's Elbow?

I've noticed lately that when I get done with my fishing on the Bow, or anywhere else for that matter, that my elbow has some stiffness in it. I did have it before when I very first started, but thought that it was just because my arm wasn't used to the motion of fly casting. After my last outing, which was last Thursday morning, my arm hasn't stopped aching. Is there such a thing as Fly Fisher's Elbow? I would think this is what Tennis Elbow feels like, but I don't play tennis.

when i was about 13 or 14 i got the same pain in my wrist right about the time the victoria secret mag came in the mail doctor said something about repetitive motion? I guess my wrist got sore from turning pages; however i found that in time it went away as victoria started to send a monthly advert and then a bi-weekly i turned pages more and more and soon my problem was gone i realized i just had to develop the right muscles. :D

I've noticed lately that when I get done with my fishing on the Bow, or anywhere else for that matter, that my elbow has some stiffness in it. I did have it before when I very first started, but thought that it was just because my arm wasn't used to the motion of fly casting. After my last outing, which was last Thursday morning, my arm hasn't stopped aching. Is there such a thing as Fly Fisher's Elbow? I would think this is what Tennis Elbow feels like, but I don't play tennis.

Be very careful with this. It may lead to unsolicited contacts from the Spey Rod crowd trying to bring you over to the dark side. Fight them with valor! A bit of a sore arm is a small price to pay for the glory and prestige of fishing with the short rod! <--poke--<

Hi I had the same thing last summer when I first started, I was putting to much force in my castings when I got better at my castings the pain went away.. also could be your getting older! Try ginger root capsules they work with pain take with food....

But the elbow and less force will be good as gold..your over doing it.. I did...

when i was about 13 or 14 i got the same pain in my wrist right about the time the victoria secret mag came in the mail doctor said something about repetitive motion? I guess my wrist got sore from turning pages; however i found that in time it went away as victoria started to send a monthly advert and then a bi-weekly i turned pages more and more and soon my problem was gone i realized i just had to develop the right muscles. :D

ROFLMAO!!!!!!

FNG it can happen dude i might need to use a little more schoulder.. try practicing shooting line, taking less false casts and cranking on te rod so much.......

Now, how did I know I was going to get a bunch of smart ass responses.......lol

Anyway, I guess time will tell. Stretching and strengthening seems to be the common cure.

And rick, don't worry, I have zero interest in spey casting. At least, at this point.

Might have stretched or torn something. I have a list of exercises you could do for both elbow and shoulder that will help heal and strengthen. I will see if I can find them. Spent 25 years as a baseball pitcher and know all too well the damage you can do. Can lead to some issues. I can't play ball or even toss a football anymore. I also have to throw my dog's ball underhand when playing fetch (look like a loser at the park).

Don't let your kids throw curveballs and sliders before the are in their later teens.

And don't go to a spey rod!

I had the same thing, went to a physio and she called it a stressed ligament, due to repetitive motion. I got some exercises that helped, but the biggest thing she told me to do was.......rest. It did work and I think having to rest at the end of the year is better than my situation when I got it in April.

FNG

I may have something similar going on right know. If you can't make

a tight fist without experiencing some discomfort you might have inflamation

on a tenon where it attaches to the elbow ( tennis elbow). Like others have

said the only cure is rest. Failing that you can get a tensor bandage that

straps around your upper arm in the sore area and cinch it down ( not to tight).

That will keep the tenon from over working ( ie casting). You can also take Iboprofine

2 - 3 times a day until it subsides...check with your pharmacist. Good luck.

I had the same thing, went to a physio and she called it a stressed ligament, due to repetitive motion. I got some exercises that helped, but the biggest thing she told me to do was.......rest. It did work and I think having to rest at the end of the year is better than my situation when I got it in April.

Yeah, rest likely will be the best thing for me, but not yet. The weather is just too nice tomorrow to pass up the morning to hit the Bow :D

I'll load up on Aleve or something before I head out, I am sure that will help. Has in the past. If that doesn't work, I still have some percocet kicking around :devilbob:

I went through a lot of suffering a couple of years ago. Terrible pain from tennis elbow (tendinitis) that translated to bad days at work as I am on a keyboard all day. You really have to examine how you are hurting yourself and change your casting methods and style to allow less stress. You will also need a healing time. My Doctor put me straight and explained where the stresses where for me. Mine changed over a one month period to completely disappearing.

Take the pain seriously. A friend had a similar complaint that has turned into a chronic problem that 2 surgeries did not alleviate.

There are small muscles in the upper forearm that can become inflamed from repetitive use - tennis, golf, fishing, computer mousing. The muscles are used on the backcast to lift the rod.

For a while last winter my right arm was so sore from spending too much time on the computer that I had no strength in it - this was even using an ergonomic mouse. There's still low constant low level pain but it's very slowly getting better after massage, physio, stretching, and strengthening. I will likely have to always be careful the rest of my life. I now have 2 mouses and alternate hands during the intense work days and use hot keys more.

Here is a exercise product i like to recommend for this type of issue, it helps to strengthen and stabilize the elbow and its attaching muscles.

http://www.powerballs.ca/en/shop.html

The cheapest one works just as good as the others, and some stores in Calgary might carry them, i'm just not sure which ones.

wtf does it do? :unsure:

Hi, Wow, you can get all the toys, spend tons of mula, go to physco all you like, I take ginger root capsuals, and works well too, look on the interent what Honey and Cinnamon will do, I've been taking it for 3 months now I like what it's doing.. I'm losing weight, takes most of my pains away, my job is very intense, 14 hour days I use every muscle in my body pretty much and I'm not a young spring chick... my two cents worth..