Fly Fusion Forums

Official Flames 2008/2043 Seasons Thread

*sigh*

I dared to believe at the end there.

I also have been talking with friends... GM sutter HAS to go. He got glorified in 2004 for one move, getting kipper. what about the dumb trades he's made after? too many to mention but if we even had HALF the team he's traded away we'd be in pretty good shape...

as for COACH sutter... give him time he will right this ship with the right pieces in place..

as for me, I'll go suck my thumb and lay in the fetal position for a while and then it's on to baseball... GO SOX.

here's hoping for next year.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think if you get rid of one sutter you've got to get rid of them all. brent was a good coach in junior but not so much in the nhl....at least what has he done in the last 3 years? the new gm may want a say on a coaching staff.

darryl has had his chance and i think this year has been a disaster. hard to believe that we couldn't have received more for phaneuf....even though he does seem to wear the role of overrated rather well. and kotalik? higgins? those guys looked out of place on the flames. we need a complete change of philosophy. we're old and slow. langkow at $4.25 million? signing stajan to a $3mm/contract? seems a bit high when you consider what vancouver signed some of their guys for recently. who's the backup goalie next year? toskala? will he sign for a reasonable salary as backup?

i don't want jarome to go but perhas he is traded for younger players/draft choices as part of a rebuilding process? hell give him a chance to play on a contender when he still has the skill to score 40+ goals and get something for him now to help the future.

darryl has not shown he can draft and nurture young talent (or even recognize talent for trades?!?!). in fact given his preference for trading away draft choices it seems as though he doesn't think that's a good way to build a team. and the draft choices he has made are pretty much all busts....although backlund seems to be showing some potential now.

i'm thinking we're going to have a few rebuilding years that may be a bit painful for us fans. but i'm hoping at least rebuilding will start now.

if it were my team, on monday, apr 12, king and all sutters would be shown the door - they've had their chance. don't hesitate. get out there and get new mgt and coaching staff in place asap and get started on rebuilding the flames into a team capable of contending.

but what the f* do i know?! i liked the team a lot at the start of the year and in November dared to think they would contend in the conference this year.

We have had a mediocre team for years and nothing has changed. 04 we had what looked like a typical half assed Flames squad and just made it into the playoffs. (A little more comfortable then normal) then it took on a life of its own and it was magical but I don’t see how we became any better of a team after that? We added and removed players looking for that one or two great fits, some failed some have worked out ok but this team in my eyes has never been the team that some here or in the media thought they could be.

I hope and I dream I can see them take the next step and become a force in the West and I don’t have the answers on how this should be done but one thing I know is that we are still a Hell of a lot closer to having and great team then the Oilers are of getting out of the basement!!!!!!

What it all comes down to is the Flames continual lack of addressing the biggest area of concern on the team. A legitimate first line center. Without that Iggy will always be what he is right now, damn good but also streaky. He's got no one to get him the puck... so as he goes the flames go... when he doesn't go the flames don't go (and even fail to make the playoffs).

Get Iggy a center... and this team as it is, will contend for first in the division. All we needed was about 10-15 more goals, all year...

didn't hear it myself but from what i read about the king/sutter press conference yesterday we can expect the status quo for next year. wish the ownership had done what tampa bay did on monday....

hawgstoppah i can't see how this team can compete as is....a #1 centre will help but how the heck would we pay for that given the cap situation. and then what about secondary scoring? seems pretty important to have 2 lines that are threats to score.

can't see a team taking on any of the bad contracts....langkow, sarich, kotalik, staios and dare i say it regehr (could get a much cheaper stay at home defenseman who would be as effective as he was this year - although maybe he just had an off year? - but a team may very likely take on that contract so i wouldn't be surprised to see him go).

and presumably they will resign white....at what cost? gotta be in the $1.5 to 2mm neighbourhood.

what are we going to do about a backup goaler? another young guy that gets thrown to the wolves and eaten alive every time he gets between the pipes? can't see signing toskala for a reasonable amount....another team may take a chance on him as a starter and pay him accordingly....although i don't know why...otherwise kipper gets overworked yet again....at some point all those minutes will catch up to him....

a real concern is we really have no young talent coming up...between bad drafting and trading away draft picks we seem to be in a pretty tough position to try and even change the makeup of the team. perhaps there's some talent in abbotsford i don't know about but the future doesn't seem very bright in that regard....

as for the oilers it seems to me that in their favour they have a lot of younger players with potential upside (although a number don't seem to be panning out for them). and don't they have eberle's rights? and get to choose hall or sequin this year? those players along with the younger guys they already have seem to give them a leg up in rebuilding on the flames.

this year they were hit so hard with injuries it seems a bit unfair to compare them to the flames who had virtually no injury problems. although with souray wanting out there must be some problems in that organization as it seems that players don't want to go there or once they get there want out after a short time....

i just hate to think about another middle of the road (if that) for the flames....

So Iggy is willing to waive his no-trade clause. Hmmmm, interesting -- that's usually the first sign that a player wants out -- just ask Sheldon Souray. Actually, although I'm not a Flames fan, which perhaps gives me a better perspective, I think trading Iginla would be a good move, both for him, and for the team. He's a great player, but he can't do it alone, and the Flames need to do a major rebuild, not tinker. Lose some salary and get some young players. Terry

So Iggy is willing to waive his no-trade clause. Hmmmm, interesting -- that's usually the first sign that a player wants out -- just ask Sheldon Souray. Actually, although I'm not a Flames fan, which perhaps gives me a better perspective, I think trading Iginla would be a good move, both for him, and for the team. He's a great player, but he can't do it alone, and the Flames need to do a major rebuild, not tinker. Lose some salary and get some young players. Terry

I wouldn't take this as a sign at all (I am also not a flames fan). By the sounds of it he was beeing badgered and asked this question in every way possible. Many players would have probably lost there cool and/or ended the interview but iggy is a class act and gave his honest answer. He basically said he wants to stay but if he is told that he is not wanted then he would look at it. Any allstar would wave a no trade clause if they were told they weren't wanted.

I wouldn't take this as a sign at all (I am also not a flames fan). By the sounds of it he was beeing badgered and asked this question in every way possible. Many players would have probably lost there cool and/or ended the interview but iggy is a class act and gave his honest answer. He basically said he wants to stay but if he is told that he is not wanted then he would look at it. Any allstar would wave a no trade clause if they were told they weren't wanted.

Really? Might want to inform Mr. Heatly of that fact......

A little bitter Darren?

Not at all. I'm actually quite glad he didn't come to Edmonton.

I just thought that it was an odd statement to make.

Iggy, however, is a class act. Always has been. I can't see the Flames trading him, but if someone offered up a package including a first round pick for 2010, they would be crazy not to consider it.

Not at all. I'm actually quite glad he didn't come to Edmonton.

I just thought that it was an odd statement to make.

Iggy, however, is a class act. Always has been. I can't see the Flames trading him, but if someone offered up a package including a first round pick for 2010, they would be crazy not to consider it.

He's not in Ottawa anymore

if jarome is not traded prior to this year's draft for one or more draft picks & players he will be traded at the deadline next season if the flames are again floundering....and as of now there's no reason to believe they won't be.....

• 5 months later...

Time to get this to the top.

Regular season starts tomorrow. fLAMES went 7-0 in the pre-season.

Not much of a test for the first game to see if the pre-season was just that, the pre-season, or if it was an actual representation as to what you fLAMES fans can expect of your team this year.

I, for one, think they will do much better this year for one basic reason only. They finally have a bona fide back up for Kipprusoff. It will push his game to be better, and he looked REALLY good in the pre-season.

If Calgary can get some guys to step up at centre with the injuries to Stajan, Langkow and Moss in the early going, they could get some quick wins under their belt and get an early start to the division title.

Time will tell.