Fly Fusion Forums

Where Have You Been Hooked?

Well not really hooked ,a friend of mine was fishing with a streamer and a big splitshot ,casted to the bank hooked a bush gave it a big pull.......Splitshot right in the eye ,shatterd his glasses almost knocked him out of the boat.That was 1 year ago this month ,he just got the last of the stiches out and has 99%of vision back.

l tryed to set up a poll but to no success, and funniest one l seen was a buddy of mine unhookin a pike and got his hand hooked to the fish and man was he in some pain, bonked the pike and brought him to hospitable with fish still attached... Doctor got good laugh as well as use..

1/0 hook right to the bend in the forearm. Chuckin' weighted streamers for pike on a windy day, and got it on the backcast. Had a hell of a time getting it out as the barb was pinched but there was just enough of a bump to catch under the skin.. creative use of a set of forceps eventually got it out.

As for me ive been hooked all over but the most painful one was one day I was away on a boys weekend and my cellphone rang. It was the wife and she wasnt very happy. She had a hook stuck in the bottom of her foot. I lost it when I was tying about a week earlier and thought i got it with the vacuum. APPARENTLY NOT! I had already consumed a few so I wasnt as sympathetic as I guess i should have been but got bailed out by my dad when he took her to the hospital to get it removed. Me and the boys thought it was hilarious but her not so much.

Cal

Fingers - Many times from a dropper and a panicking fish

Cheek - Streamer pierced through

Bottom Eye Lid - Too close for comfort

Hand - Barbed streamer hooked peirced my vein and I bled like a stuffed pig

Ear - Dry Fly in the wind

And that 's just the body,

My coats have plently of freaking holes

I put a nice dry into my index finger last summer when i was tighten the knot slid it right into the center of the finger the fact that it was a new fly and i hadnt had a chance to pinch the barb yet didnt help either. Pain = lesson learned.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

i got a real deep one in my finger with a #16 Elk Hair Emerger and i was lucky enough to be wearing a backpack last night when Jayhad hooked me and his back cast.

prettymuch everywere except the eyes and lips.. put a few in my chin while messing around with cowboy spey casts.. had a few clients stick em in me while fishing in the boat and have had a few friends stick me aswell..... not the best feling bt thank god for barbless... most memorable would have bin a while back when me and my cousin were fishing a pond and i stuck one right on the the backside of my thumb (pre barbless) and we couldnt get it out.. so we kept fishin and road our bikes the hour back along t highway and i got it cut out later in the evening..... will never forget the look on my aunts face..

Guest KnottyGirl

WOO HOO, I'm not alone in the world!!! And here, as a rookie, I thought I was the biggest fly fishing klutz in the world after I hooked myself in the ear a few weeks back.

Great thread guys, thanks for making me feel like less of an idiot! :clapping:

Only ever got it in the hat on windy days *crosses fingers and knocks on wood*, thank god for that. My girlfriend though is another story. A few weeks ago on our trip out to Vancouver Island when we were offshore fishin for hali's in some pretty decent swell she lost her balance and put a hook right through the middle part between her thumb and first finger. Not nice at all, barb still on. She was a trooper though, had to cut the hook off at the bottom and rip it out through the top, throw some ointment on it, and back to fishin we a went!!

true story: friend of a friend is fishing the crow a many years back. he's solo, it's almost dark and he's working a size micro mayfly hatch. he chili-dips his back cast in the brush and in the process he inhales his fly up is nose. like way up. instant nasal drip flood and his eyes fill up with water. he tries fishing for it for a few minutes, but it hurts like hell and he only drives it in deeper. then - he drops and steps on his only pair of glasses. and he's basically blind without them at night.

so after an hour or so of extreme blind bushwacking back to where he thinks his vehicle is he stumbles out onto the road, the first car stops as they see this poor bastard scratched to hell from brush, cut and bleeding everywhere. they drive him to where he thinks his truck is, but he's so blind and disoriented it's not there. they take pity on him and drove him into the doctor in town, they have to go in and get the fly from the other nostril it's so far up. and he needs several stitches to his many cuts and scrapes [he fell down alot on his little hike].

oh yeah, and by this time it's 3 AM and his wife has sent the search party out...

that's one of the better ones i've heard.

I've never been hooked but I've hooked - wow...that sounded wrong. I cover up pretty good with a hat, glasses and scarf around my neck in response to the question "how'd ya like a big streamer in your jugular". The thought makes me queasy.

Got my oldest in the head (right after he got a buzz cut to boot) with a stonefly - back in the days of barbs. Got him in the cheek too - he learned what was the backcast zone after that one.

Got my youngest in the chin and in the ear - he still hasn't learned. He just doesn't go fishing with us anymore :o

Guest Sundancefisher

I never stuck myself until I was about 39. Then in one summer I hooked myself 3 times. Twice in the fingers and once in the palm.

All happened within about 2 weeks. I had been fishing with three flies at once, caught nice sized trout and while dehooking the fishing flips away and drives one of the other hooks into me.

I can't fault them and I feel it is only fair. That being said...I wish they were barbless.

Cheers

Sun

When I'm fishing a hopper-dropper and hook a small squirming fish on the hopper, I've got about a 50/50 chance I'll be wearing the dropper by the time I get him released. Worst is when you get hooked on the droppper, the fish flops back into the water with the dropper still attached, and then swims away with all his might, driving the dropper further into your hand.

When I'm fishing a hopper-dropper and hook a small squirming fish on the hopper, I've got about a 50/50 chance I'll be wearing the dropper by the time I get him released. Worst is when you get hooked on the droppper, the fish flops back into the water with the dropper still attached, and then swims away with all his might, driving the dropper further into your hand.

lmao i here ya dude! same wiht triple nymph rigs!