Fly Fusion Forums

Reel Purchase (and Rod)

Pflueger Trion, I own 2, both trouble free for 3 seasons now. would buy another if I needed it.

Right now I fish a TFO 7wt 4 piece TiCr and a Sage Z-Axis 5wt 2 piece .. love them both .. I also believe the Martin Stillwater or Millcreek are great rods for the price +/- $80 no warrenty but very nice action...

Go with TFO Signature series rod & Pfleuger Trion reel. Both good quality and cheap, and TFO warranty is for life. I actually got a TFO as a back-up rod in case I broke my Orvis (which I have), and I actually prefer casting the TFO, and it was less than half the price of the Orvis. Ditto the Trion. Can't go wring IMO.

I would buy any TFO rod,

Tioga reel, I left my outside the whole winter, I remeber one winter day I went out to get my setup and my reel was one gaint ice cube!

I am currently using a Dan Bailey and really like this reel also!

if u wana spend a few hundy go bauer dude i have had one for a yea and wouldnt go back, bin through more abuse than anyone would ever imagine. infact i got a few of em now...machined, cork disc and made in the usa...

if u wana spend a few hundy go bauer dude ive have had one for a yea and wouldnt go back, bin through more abuse than anyone would ever imagine. infact i got a few of em now...machined, cork disc and made in the usa...

I'll take one off yer hands there Max, straight up trade for a bottle of 100% Muskol..one man don;t need all those reels :P

if u wana spend a few hundy go bauer dude i have had one for a yea and wouldnt go back, bin through more abuse than anyone would ever imagine. infact i got a few of em now...machined, cork disc and made in the usa...

I'm with Maxwell. I have two Bauers and counting - I think they might be best bang for the buck out there (although they are not a low end reel).

Conor, I have an Orvis Clearwater Classic 9 ft. 6 # that I gave to my son a couple of years ago. I wish I hadn't, it is without a doubt the nicest casting rod that I have cast. Maybe its just my casting style that matched up to the rod. I have cast some of the TFO's as well as Sage. I'd go back to the Orvis in a minute. As far as reels go, I still have the Battenkill click and pawl reel that matched up to the clearwater calssic. Its a good reliable reel and I wouldn't have any problem buying another. By the way, when I bought the rod, it was probably in that 200 to 300 dollar range.

Murray

On the cheapy side I used a dragonfly 555 with a cork drag for about 10 years problem free. wouldn't want to hook too big a fish on that one though (I did rebuild it every season too)

Also have a Trion for the spey rod - awesome reel well worth the money - would definately buy again (About 160 for a 12 WT)

On my 5wt I use a Okuma 5/6 SLV (was about 110) which is a bombproof reel so far. only thing is I occaisonally catch the line in between the drag dial and the body (at least I did when I first got it, used to it now)

Guest rusty

My Lamson LP and Orvis Battenkill reels have been awesome - low maintenance and very functional. I think a Bauer would be awesome too though and will probably go that way next time.

You just can't beat Sage XPs.

Speaking of I need a new reel for a 5wt rod. I'm looking for one between $50-100 range.

What brand would anyone recomened ?

Suntoucher

Maybe I should have mentioned this if it matters but I'll mainly use it for small creeks like Stauffer/Prairie and the biggest rivers I would use it in is like the Rams/Blackstone.

Sounds like there's a lot to choose from here.

Suntoucher,

5wt rods..... maybe a bit more than you quoted but look @ the TFOs, seem to be decent rods for the price. I can't remember their price point, roughly $100 but Grey's by Hardy seemed to be a decent rod too. Wholesale carries them. B)

Go with TFO Signature series rod & Pfleuger Trion reel. Both good quality and cheap, and TFO warranty is for life. I actually got a TFO as a back-up rod in case I broke my Orvis (which I have), and I actually prefer casting the TFO, and it was less than half the price of the Orvis. Ditto the Trion. Can't go wring IMO.

Hey Glen,

When you shipped my order, I think you made a mistake. You put the flies in a Pleuger box. Next time, please forget the flies and send me the Pleuger!

I took my flyfishing lesson yesterday....today I'm going to buy my rod and reel. Went to wholesale just to take a peek yesterday....the guy wasn't helpful at all. He was more interested in trying to sell me "pretty" rods cause I'm a girl, which kinda pissed me off...I don't care what it looks like how does it work!! I wanted to cast the rod outside to see if I liked it...he wouldn't let me. I wouldn't buy a $200+ pair of sneakers without trying them on first...I was kinda thinking the same with my rod. Is this normal that you can't try stuff out before you buy it? Anyways I think I'm going to go with the TFO Signature series rod with the Pfleuger Trion reel....cause so many of you have suggested it.....thanks for that.

One of the smaller shops should let you try before you buy..... but as for wholesale sports.... best if we don't open that can of worms. None the less you will likely be happy with the tfo rod. Also I am sure someone on the forum here MUST have a tfo sig series rod..... maybe one of them will meet up with you and let you cast it....... I would offer but I live in Canmore and I don't have a TFO. If you want to cast a GLX on the other hand....... but that might ruin TFO for you ;)

JK