Fly Fusion Forums

Reel Purchase (and Rod)

Tell me about it Lone :) the need for better equipment that is.... I bought a TFO TiCr 6wt to replace a broken RPL and it's a nice rod, I like fishin it. BUT I got to try a 6wt TCR the other day........................Gawd I want one so bad I can taste it :wub:

buy the best you can so you're not wanting another for at least a few more years. For reels go with islander or hardy (love the hardy lightweight sereies on a dry fly rod) and for rods stick to sage or loomis.

I feel the same way as bloom buy the best you can afford and don't buy anything without a lifetime warranty. In my opinion feel free to start with cheaper rods I did and after breaking 4 of which only 1 was covered (close to a grand in fly rods) I decided to buy more expensive with a better warranty..... I really feel it makes sense. If I break a cheap rod I know my money is gone..... if I break an expensive one atleast i know its covered......

Taco if you liked it with just a short tryout period think about how much you will like it once you really get your mojo working with it! High end rods are a completely different breed......

Brownee. as far as I know, some of the Fly Shops in town will actually let you take a rod and reel out on the river for a test run for the day. Any how, you did the right thing, I would never buy a rod no matter what type,model or cost without at least casting it first. In my opinion, I think they should have rigged it up with a line and let you cast it on a piece of lawn ouside.

Pflueger medalist, still the best value for the money out there....have been using one for going on 30 years and doubt that I will have to replace it any time soon. Any of the middle to upper end Hardy's. Currently I have been using 2 Hardy reels since about 1979. A Hardy Golden Prince and a Hardy Zenith. Both have been worth every penny spent on them. The Golden Prince is the reel I use well over 90% of the time.

I took my flyfishing lesson yesterday....today I'm going to buy my rod and reel. Went to wholesale just to take a peek yesterday....the guy wasn't helpful at all. He was more interested in trying to sell me "pretty" rods cause I'm a girl, which kinda pissed me off...I don't care what it looks like how does it work!! I wanted to cast the rod outside to see if I liked it...he wouldn't let me. I wouldn't buy a $200+ pair of sneakers without trying them on first...I was kinda thinking the same with my rod. Is this normal that you can't try stuff out before you buy it? Anyways I think I'm going to go with the TFO Signature series rod with the Pfleuger Trion reel....cause so many of you have suggested it.....thanks for that

Brownee it's to bad you had a bad experience with wholesale iv'e found that somtimes you get the guy who knows his stuff and sometimes you get the guy who is only thinkin about getting home at the end of the day. I like to go there for flies cuz they'er a good price. They might not be the best quality but i don't catch alot of fish so they last a long time for me. ;)ps i cant figure out how to separate my text from the quote text.

Definatly go with what you can afford. But if you can afford it Z axis sage holy absoulutley amazing. I fish every thing from size 22 dries to size 4 bully streamers and not a single complaint. Also dont cheap out on the reel.