Fly Fusion Forums

Tfo Rods

I'm looking to pick up a rod or two in the next couple of weeks.

Looking at TFO's, anyone have any feedback on them?

Steve

this is something i came accross recently.

these guys tested all the rods and were rated on everything.

747.Final.Results_000.jpg

Visit My Website

tfo's are awsome rods and for the price they are right up there with the competitors.

I have one in a #9 and I think they're the best rod for the money. In fact, as far as I'm concerned if you're not getting a high-end Sage or T&T or Orvis or Winston or whatever, TFO is the only way to go. Their $200 rods are better than almost any $300 rod.

You know, I've owned many TFO rods in the past and I still have 3 (Finesse 4wt, Signature 4wt and TiCR X 5wt) and I have never had one break. I have taken TFO rods up against tarpon, mahi mahi, barracuda, bonefish, kingfish, all sorts of jacks, redfish...the list goes on and I have never had to use the warranty on any TFO rod I've owned. I will certainly more in the future.

James

there a good rod for the price but the reel seats and guides are mega low end and will crap out on ya soon enough if u fish em hard enough.. the ticrx has a better reel seat then the lower models and will do ya good in all situations... it depends on how often you fish i suppose.... but the in-town warranty is key and teh main reason why i got a ton of em for clients

I have a 3wt Finesse and just picked up an 8wt Axiom. I love my 3 wt for Grayling in the fall, and did not have an issue boating tarpon, barracuda, crevalle jack, and other fish in Key West a few weeks back.

I agree with the other posts that the rod isn't high end, but the fish doesn't know I'm casting a several hundred dollar cheaper rod.

The rod cast just as nice as several other 8wt rods IMO, for big dollars less. I paid $250USD for my Axiom, as compared to $450 and upwards for other 8wts.

Best bang for the buck, IMO.

• 2 years later...

...I have a TFO Lefty Kreh signature series 10' 6wt 4pc. and I fish it on the K lakes and the Bow and I think it is a great rod...I just beat the crap out of it and it keeps going...I think I have only sent it in 3 times in the past 2 years...once because the tip snapped in -20 something weather and a couple times because of the guides...but honestly it is a very reliable rod.

I have had a few TFO's over the years, still have two of them, one still being brand new from 3 years ago....I like the feel of them, they cast nice, good price as well, and the warranty is great for Calgarians, however, I find the tip sections break far to often and the guides wear out fairly fast....Thats my experience...

I currently have two TFO's and have owned three. Never had one break from use. I have an 8'6" 5wt for dries on the Bow and a 7'6" 3wt for the mountain streams. Both signature series four pieces and I love them both. Suit my casting ability and have both been very reliable.

I love all mine the only time ive had one break is when ive broken from neglect. They cast great and they are great for people new to casting. You need to be careful about charts and reviews on the internet or in magazines no magazine will EVER write a bad review about a rod that gives them advertising dollars. I don't trust magazine or internet reviews, i think the best review is from users on forums like this. I never buy bases on magazine or internet reviews.

I got a TFO professional seriest 7'6" 3wt 4pc for christmas, and I couldn't wait till june 16th to bust it in, so I took it for a spin on the bow and the first fish I got was a 21" football of a brown trout. I was sure on more than one occaison that my rod was gonna snap haha. But it didn't. It's a damn good rod for less than $200. great warranty, great rod, awesome action. with a dry fly on I can cast just about cast the entire length of the fly line. I don't have much experience with higher end rods, but between my sage launch and my TFO prof. I must say there is such a huge leap in quality and castability from the lower end rods I've owned/used of my friends. Unless you want to spend another 300 on top of the 200 a TFO would cost then you simply can't beat the quality/craftmanship of a TFO, they are simply good well priced rods.

Guest BigSky

yeah i'm sure I like it... the reason it's in the trading posts is because I would prefer the signature series over the ticr x simply because it feels more natural for my casting style and I don't need two 6 weight rods.

Troutlover, I think you hit the nail on the head with your comment

I have 2 TFO's ( 1-6 weight, 1- 4 weight). Was about to purchase my third last week when Fish tales recommended trying out Amundson. I ended up going for the Amundson - 4 piece 6 weight. It was cheeper, the same warrenty, and casted better in my opinion. It came with a rigid rod case as well. All this for $119. Pretty good deal I thought. Go to Fish tales and try both the TFO and Amundson.