Fly Fusion Forums

Chironomids

Note the absence of beads on most of the patterns shown. In my experience, they really are not required. The un-beaded hooks sink quite well and may take a couple of seconds longer to reach depth if you are using an indicator. Using a quite long leaders of +20' and a floating or neutral density line, an un-beaded pattern fishes a tad better as you can fish it slowly w/o hanging up on the bottom. And if I use a bead, it is typically a plastic or glass bead to slow it's descent.

Like this one:

post-206-1207428342.jpg

I do alot of interior lake fishing. When your looking to tie some, many patterns call for peacock herl thorax before the bead. I've found this unnessary and simply create a patch of black thread to represent the same. I'll try to post some photos. I'm stocking my chronie box for the May 12 trip to Salmon Arm area.

Cheers, chronie

chronie63,

The body is invisible sewing thread available @ most sewing shops. You'll have to load the invisible stuff to a empty spool as the invisible spool is about 1000 yards.

The head is Arizona Sparkle Yarn - herl color - the gills are Stillwater Solution gill yarn - the rib is 0.003" copper wire - glue is Loctite Super Glue from CDN Tire.

To load the spool, I use a 3/8 variable speed drill, a 1/4"*1.5" long bolt c/w nut. Slide the MT spool on the bolt and tighten nut. Chuck into drill. Put invisible thread spool on some type of post. I use a Robertson screwdriver mounted @ a slight angle in my 4" metal vise. Don't put too much on the MT spool. The thread tends to "spring".

catch ya'

Don

Hydropsyche,

The wing case has a small strip of black Phentex yarn pulled over the herl.

The bodies are of Flashabou. Numbers on the flies correspond to the numbers stamped on the packaging.

The bodies are either glued with Loctite Super Glue or Sally Hansens Hard as Nails.

catch ya'

Don

I'd focus more on damsels in the first week of June. Make sure you have a well stocked damsel and dragon supply, as well as some mayfly emerger patterns. Chironomids for the time period mentioned = BOMBERS. #12 to #6, match the hatch. My best colour combos are:

Black / red

Red / silver

Olive / black

Don't forget

Black on Black can be killer as well. Lots of success with this pattern in the spring. Also Micro Leech's under an indicator would be another good option.

The fish that I am holding was taken with a black on black. Also brass on olive is a good chironomid pattern.

Russ C

RussC,

Could you take some pictures of the black on black and the brass on olive and post them?

catch ya'

Don

Don

PM sent I am not able to get a very clear picture of the flies.

Russ C