Fly Fusion Forums

Flames Choking Early This Year

I for one wish the game of hockey wasn't ruined in Canada.... I love watching european and international tournaments.... but the WWE on ice is just becoming a bit too much for me. I've heard all the arguments from so many NHL fans over the years about why fighting is necessary and part of the game blah blah... bottom line is if I want to watch a fight, I'll watch boxing or professional fighters, if i want to watch basketball or football or soccer I will watch the game. NHL? Dont even know what I consider that anymore. There is NO sportsmanship, I've never seen any sport where no two players EVER joke around, smile at eachother, lift eachother up after getting knocked down, offer a hand after/before the game. Its just became a spectacle to watch a few guys with too much 'adrenaline' as 'Roy Junior' put it the other nite acting like little boys. Where else would 25+ year old men think its the right thing to do, starting fights as part of a game? I might expect behavior like that from a bunch of drunks in a bar, or some troubled 15 year old kids, but to see it on TV during nearly ever NHL game and on all the highlights, its really ridiculous. I know no one will agree because Canada and hockey is like Brasil and soccer, but I think if we all took a step back and really analyzed if fighting was a necessary part of the game and if it makes it a better game, we'd all come to the conclusion that it ruins it every way. The culture we're bringing our young up into, in one of violence and that its okay to be a poor sport, and okay to never grow up and learn to control your emotions, is really sad to see. A fight here and there like you see in other sports that really get broken up in seconds might be fine. But involving it as part of each game and letting it happen while the refs watch on, hard to believe it even came to that.

Thats why I hate the NHL and always have. I love hockey though, outside of this Canadian culture thing thats going on. A bunch of testosterone-high, immature men fighting on ice skates. cool. Hate me if you want, but I would honestly love to be involved in the passion that you guys all show about your teams, I miss that kind of dedication to sports teams. Theres just no way Id ever get into this league with all the fighting and poor sportsmanship. And trust me, people with the same views as me are a LOT more common than you might think.

I mean, imagine any other sport where you have the talented players, like Kobe and Ronaldo, and then on every team you have some fighters, who arent good fighters and arent that good at basketball or soccer. Every game, at least once sometimes more, the game is halted for a while to watch people fight.... these fighters take up spots normally played by more skilled players. To me, the games would be ruined.

Playoff hockey - better. Less fights.

I don't know, since seeing that Roy stuff the other day Ive became even more disappointed in the NHL and the culture of hockey in Canada.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I for one wish the game of hockey wasn't ruined in Canada.... I love watching european and international tournaments.... but the WWE on ice is just becoming a bit too much for me. I've heard all the arguments from so many NHL fans over the years about why fighting is necessary and part of the game blah blah... bottom line is if I want to watch a fight, I'll watch boxing or professional fighters, if i want to watch basketball or football or soccer I will watch the game. NHL? Dont even know what I consider that anymore. There is NO sportsmanship, I've never seen any sport where no two players EVER joke around, smile at eachother, lift eachother up after getting knocked down, offer a hand after/before the game. Its just became a spectacle to watch a few guys with too much 'adrenaline' as 'Roy Junior' put it the other nite acting like little boys. Where else would 25+ year old men think its the right thing to do, starting fights as part of a game? I might expect behavior like that from a bunch of drunks in a bar, or some troubled 15 year old kids, but to see it on TV during nearly ever NHL game and on all the highlights, its really ridiculous. I know no one will agree because Canada and hockey is like Brasil and soccer, but I think if we all took a step back and really analyzed if fighting was a necessary part of the game and if it makes it a better game, we'd all come to the conclusion that it ruins it every way. The culture we're bringing our young up into, in one of violence and that its okay to be a poor sport, and okay to never grow up and learn to control your emotions, is really sad to see. A fight here and there like you see in other sports that really get broken up in seconds might be fine. But involving it as part of each game and letting it happen while the refs watch on, hard to believe it even came to that.

Thats why I hate the NHL and always have. I love hockey though, outside of this Canadian culture thing thats going on. A bunch of testosterone-high, immature men fighting on ice skates. cool. Hate me if you want, but I would honestly love to be involved in the passion that you guys all show about your teams, I miss that kind of dedication to sports teams. Theres just no way Id ever get into this league with all the fighting and poor sportsmanship. And trust me, people with the same views as me are a LOT more common than you might think.

I mean, imagine any other sport where you have the talented players, like Kobe and Ronaldo, and then on every team you have some fighters, who arent good fighters and arent that good at basketball or soccer. Every game, at least once sometimes more, the game is halted for a while to watch people fight.... these fighters take up spots normally played by more skilled players. To me, the games would be ruined.

Playoff hockey - better. Less fights.

I don't know, since seeing that Roy stuff the other day Ive became even more disappointed in the NHL and the culture of hockey in Canada.

Mvadog,

If you think nothing happens in American Football or CFL you are sorely wrong. Do you not remeber the crap that AJ Glass did last year with the eskies.

Also I played the sport for close to 10 years and coached the sport for 11 years and I know for a fact that there is alot of dirty play in Football, lots of fist fly in the LOS, and in pile ups there are alot of dirty *hit that happens.

As for sportmanship what about when Randy Moss pretended to moon the crowd after a touchdown or should I say Terrell Owens, what about him????

Oh and also what about those NBA players that went after the spectators............

I have also watch soccer games where there are brawls with the teams and oh what about baseball fights, bench brawls happen on a regular basis!!!!!!

I agree with you that fighting needs to be banned but come on u are labelling one sport when fighting and unsportmanlike conduct happens in alot of other sports.

So could you explain these things to me and why they are okay and what happens in Hockey isn't?????

If the reason a person supports a team is because the team is winning, they are not a true "Fan" in my opinion.

Say what you want about the Flames, but they are My Team. Always have been and always will be.

If Calgary was to lose the Flames for some reason, I would just be a Fan of the Game, but would not likely have a Team.

The Flames only winning one playoff series since '89 shouldn't make a difference to a real fan. The same goes for Fans of any team, even the Oilers. Although I spend a great deal of time ribbing Oilers fans, I respect the true fans out there that support their team thru good times and bad.

Yea Im a huge fan of NBA and NFL, and the difference is simple-

When it happens, rare as it may be, its a huge deal (if noticed). If refs see that sort of thing its broken up as fast as possible, the league takes quick action to suspend and fine. In the NHL, the refs move away and let them fight, and its considered part of the game - no fines, no suspensions. The only time that stuff seems to happen is when someone brutally attacks a helpless opponent (like Roy Junior) or if someone uses a stick or some other form of aggravated assault. A regular old fight is punished by nothing except a longer penalty.

The smallest signs of poor sportsmanship like spitting in a face, punches thrown, pushing, etc are all frowned upon in those other sports - immediately kicked outta the game and punished. With hockey its hitting someone in the face with a stick or hitting a helpless person from behind into the boards or something major for it to even be news.

Also in those other sports, they usually shake hands before and after the game, commonly its seen that people help eachother back on their feet (I understand this is impossible to do in hockey), and you see a lot of players joking around with eachother. Hockey seems like nothing is allowable except a pure hatred for eachother when in the uniform.

There is a fairbit of cheap shots taken in the scramble in football, but if they were to take their helmets off and start fighting im sure u can imagine what would happen - definitely not everyone standing back and pausing the game to let them fight....

The NFL wide recievers messing with the crowd is totally different than poor sportsmanship on the field.... also the soccer stuff is always with the crowd - doesnt have anything to do with the soccer players. Soccer players are actually the most sportly out of all the sports, no cheap shots or anything allowed or youre outta there.

The fact that there is these montages on fights for other sports is cuz they are so rare - for hockey theyre so common that no one would bother to look up a regular hockey fight online. Maybe when something wierd happens like two stars fighting or two goalies, but the good ol normal fight in the nhl wont even be on youtube. The other sports are though because theyre so common - exactly what Im tryin to say - its not part of those other sports.... juss rare events

I guess Ill just add that I dont wanna start an argument cuz itll be one against every person on this board... but I just wanted to know what the hockey fans all thought about this if they took a second to really think about it.... and so far already one person thought it should be banned so maybe its not as popular as i was thinking...

This is an interesting bit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighting_in_ice_hockey

see History: In 1922, the NHL introduced Rule 56..........

also:

"The NHL averaged twice as many fights during Gretzky's prime with the Edmonton Oilers than it did during the 1970s; some sources credit Gretzky with being a major cause in the statistical rise."

This was the Fort Frances Junior Sabres Fight. Take note of the song playing on the PA system.

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-26...h&plindex=1

I like hockey. Learned to watch it in Edmonton in the late 80s and really fell in love with the speed. Been warching the Flames since I moved here and like them for their grit, cuz gritty is when they are at their best.

I HATE!!!! the premeditated fighting. I've heard all the arguments and think they are all utterly bs. Do other sports have fights? Of course. But no other sport employs people who are only on the roster to fight or intimidate. Whether you believe me or not, it lessens your sport which is a shame as it is a wonderful game.

MV mentioned WWE. When I was a kid, NBC had the NHL on on Saturday afternoon. We all thought it was fake, like wrestling. And before you say I was just a kid, I sure didn't think the NFL or MLB were fake. If the NHL had looked more real, I would have looked at it as a sport, not as a cheap circus. And I promise that it is looking more circus like all the time. And I gotta say that now that I know it is real, it makes it even more sad to me.

I know I never played and lots of people will think or say I don't understand, but to them I say "its probably you who don't understand."

To get back on topic, bye bye Oilers! Nice run!

I'll be the biggest fan of whoever takes on the flames in the first round. I really enjoy listening to The Fan 960 whenever they loose and hear them all whining about it. The biggest loser in the world has to be that Richards low life. He's got an absolutly sick sense of humor and he just isn't funny. You almost have to feel sorry for the guy though, having the mentality of a 6 year old. What should I expect though, he's a transplant from Toronto. When the flames went on their run a few years ago, everyone in Oil country was saying crap like "come on and support calgary" and "cheer for the other Alberta team to win it all". I do admit, I actually bought in and tried to cheer for them for 1 game. After it was done I didn't feel right. I felt so dirty that I considered taking a bath in turpentine. Now I'd rather take a shotgun blast to the face than cheer for calgary. Yeah the Oilers suck this year (and last year) but it's going to be real interesting to see what kind of a team they have next year with everyone healthy. Go Oil Go, oh yeah...they still aren't "tecnically" out of it yet.

I'll be the biggest fan of whoever takes on the flames in the first round. I really enjoy listening to The Fan 960 whenever they loose and hear them all whining about it. The biggest loser in the world has to be that Richards low life. He's got an absolutly sick sense of humor and he just isn't funny. You almost have to feel sorry for the guy though, having the mentality of a 6 year old. What should I expect though, he's a transplant from Toronto. When the flames went on their run a few years ago, everyone in Oil country was saying crap like "come on and support calgary" and "cheer for the other Alberta team to win it all". I do admit, I actually bought in and tried to cheer for them for 1 game. After it was done I didn't feel right. I felt so dirty that I considered taking a bath in turpentine. Now I'd rather take a shotgun blast to the face than cheer for calgary. Yeah the Oilers suck this year (and last year) but it's going to be real interesting to see what kind of a team they have next year with everyone healthy. Go Oil Go, oh yeah...they still aren't "tecnically" out of it yet.

I know exactly how you feel...I tried cheering for the Oilers in their run from a couple of years ago for the same reason. But...

Anybody got a shotgun MMAX can borrow? One less "Anybody But Calgary" schmuck is a good start... ;)

:P:P:P:P

Crazy how well the Oilers have played since I left the province. Young guns have brought them up to 2nd most goals-for in the Western conference, not bad for a team that people have been calling offensively challenged. Powerplay is clicking too. This is a team that has a very, very bright future.

Crazy how well the Oilers have played since I left the province. Young guns have brought them up to 2nd most goals-for in the Western conference, not bad for a team that people have been calling offensively challenged. Powerplay is clicking too. This is a team that has a very, very bright future.

Nthis year though, by the looks of things.

You'll have to make it yourself. White hockey tape, stick on letters and crazy glue. I had to run some clear packing tape over the letters also, I lost a couple of them while driving. You sure get alot of interesting looks, more Flames fans than Oilers fans south of Red Deer.

can someone explain to me how the tie breaker works in terms of standings? Is it goal differential? Head to head matchup? Seems like the way the races are in both conferences one or the other will come down to a tie breaker.

Tie Breaking Procedure

If two or more clubs are tied in points during the regular season, the standing of the clubs is determined in the following order:

1. The fewer number of games played (i.e., superior points percentage).

2. The greater number of games won.

3. The greater number of points earned in games between the tied clubs. If two clubs are tied, and have not played an equal number of home games against each other, points earned in the first game played in the city that had the extra game shall not be included. If more than two clubs are tied, the higher percentage of available points earned in games among those clubs, and not including any "odd" games, shall be used to determine the standing.

4. The greater differential between goals for and against for the entire regular season.