Fly Fusion Forums

Online Disclosure Of Fishing Holes

That's funny! Took me a minute to figure that one out.

Rickr, are you studying up for your Canadian citizenship or something? :lol: I like how the American guy is the only one who made a comment on the group of seven joke! Good on ya Rickr!

Sorry for the poach of the thread, but it was already way off topic anyways!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Find the used tampon beach......and you will find fish.

Hullswood is no secret dave. While your there, you just may get lucky and hook ladies underwear and bra in a matter of fifteen casts like someone I know not to mention any names... ehhem... :blink::blink::blink:

Are you looking for locations on the bow i have 2 for you. There is this little waterfall you can see from deerfoot and memorial excellent fishing spot either right aove or below just wade out 20 feet or so . #2 is right off of calf robe bridge on deerfoot there is 2 under ground springs that come out of big concrete structures always an excellent place to fish you may even hook into the BIG "BROWN" trout i let go this morning. If you catch my drift. Get out explore the rivers are huge. I perrty sure even non anglers know where fish creek is.....

Here we go with the whole secret spot debate again. Who cares if some group is planning a big group trip down south, I can guarantee you the Bow, Crow, Castle, Oldman, Livingston, Carbondale etc are no "Secret Spots" these are all very well known rivers and can be found by anyone with a map and enough sense on how to read it. Your secret is 99% likely to be someone elses as well. Sure there are some small creeks and there or spots on some larger rivers where access is a little more difficult, but thats why they see less traffic. Like I said, the rivers that have been mentioned in this thread are no secrets, including the Red deer

Get use to people crowding rivers. Hell by the time I retire there will be about a million more people living in Alberta. Don't like someone crowding "your" spot? Move to a different province.

:lol: HA! Don't bother with BC. The gov't is making a huge push to increase angler numbers

I gotta tell ya ... mikefromSundre makes more sense to me in this thread than anybody else. Those of you who choose to keep your favorite fishing spots a secret are maybe keeping them a secret from other anglers but certainly keeping them secret from the authorities who protect them. The only way to influence the political arena into preserving our fishing streams is to attract enough attention to force the legislators to act.

A case in point are the fishing opportunities in Montana. Montana understands the value of their fishery. The majority of streams in central Montana have a boat launch every 5 miles, foot access almost everywhere and a state promotional program second to none. And every one of their streams is protected from development ... protected to preserve the fishery they offer.

By contrast, Alberta has no concept of what fishery protection is or how to achieve it. Yes they've done some work on the Stauffer and Dog Pound but how about the thousands of miles of other streams in central and southern Alberta? Go ahead an continue to keep your favorite fishing hole a secret and, over the years, watch it fall victum to the development threatening every water course in Alberta today.

The Raven River, North and South, is a perfect example of this. Sure they used the "Buck for Wildlife Program" to protect the banks of a very small segment of the Raven (Stauffer) but following a good rain storm, none of the Raven is fishable including that section known affectionately as the Stauffer. Same goes for the Dog Pound, Fallen Timber, Little Red, Sheep, Highwood, Gorge ... I could go on and on. If we are going to curtail this tendency, we've got to start making some noise instead of quietly trying to keep a "secret".

I gotta tell ya ... mikefromSundre makes more sense to me in this thread than anybody else. Those of you who choose to keep your favorite fishing spots a secret are maybe keeping them a secret from other anglers but certainly keeping them secret from the authorities who protect them. The only way to influence the political arena into preserving our fishing streams is to attract enough attention to force the legislators to act.

A case in point are the fishing opportunities in Montana. Montana understands the value of their fishery. The majority of streams in central Montana have a boat launch every 5 miles, foot access almost everywhere and a state promotional program second to none. And every one of their streams is protected from development ... protected to preserve the fishery they offer.

By contrast, Alberta has no concept of what fishery protection is or how to achieve it. Yes they've done some work on the Stauffer and Dog Pound but how about the thousands of miles of other streams in central and southern Alberta? Go ahead an continue to keep your favorite fishing hole a secret and, over the years, watch it fall victum to the development threatening every water course in Alberta today.

The Raven River, North and South, is a perfect example of this. Sure they used the "Buck for Wildlife Program" to protect the banks of a very small segment of the Raven (Stauffer) but following a good rain storm, none of the Raven is fishable including that section known affectionately as the Stauffer. Same goes for the Dog Pound, Fallen Timber, Little Red, Sheep, Highwood, Gorge ... I could go on and on. If we are going to curtail this tendency, we've got to start making some noise instead of quietly trying to keep a "secret".

Two words. Angler density.

still talking about this eh?

i dont have a problem disclosing spots, not much within the city limits is a secert, any pics posted show, yep - water, a fish, guy with a stupid smile, probably a boot or a net, a hand and probably a rock or a tree. big water out there, even on the little streams, unless you have been there, 99% of the fishers out there have no idea where "the spot" is. and i doubt someone is going to waste the time, printing off a pic and wandering up and down the river looking for "the spot", what a waste of time, especially when you could be fishing the last 10 pools you passed up.

sure we may all have a favorite spot, and every so often, we might find rick there, but hey, be nice, he's a good guy. go and find another spot. or if you are feeling testie, toss a jar of eggs. the jerk in YOUR spot will leave.

Hey LS, nice to see you back! A house with no computer? Who's house were you sitting? Fred Flinstone's?

So back to spots, sorry to keep this going, but I have to say something (and LS, this is not in response to your post above!)

I'm taking a bit of ribbing, most of it I hope good naturedly, about showing people other peoples spot. So I thought I would list all the people who have showed me spots:

Maxwell-every run in Fish Creek, Policeman's, and points south

Toolman- some sweet runs way out of town and a couple of very nice runs in the city

Troutlover-runs all over the city, mostly south of fish creek and south of town

MTB-Below fish creek, some stuff around Caresland

Rocknbugs-another nice run in the city

BBB-some overlooked water in the city

Monger-directed me to some nice water south of town

Osprey-directed me to an overlooked run close to my house

I'm sure I'm missing some others. I apologize.

So I don't know what is left for me to fish that isn't someone's spot. Maybe some of the diversionary canals? I'm actually starting to search out my own water, but as soon as I find someplace new, I discover it is someone elses.

My point is, every spot is someone's spot. They are all good. Why stress it? Don't take pictures that show obvious landmarks. And while some people will recognize the background in any picture, that only means that they know all the spots already. What's the big freakin' deal?

Guest bigbadbrent

damnit rick i thought u were going to panorama, would have stopped by and giving you a book to read that i think you would like when i was coming back into calgary

Hey LS, nice to see you back! A house with no computer? Who's house were you sitting? Fred Flinstone's?

So back to spots, sorry to keep this going, but I have to say something (and LS, this is not in response to your post above!)

I'm taking a bit of ribbing, most of it I hope good naturedly, about showing people other peoples spot. So I thought I would list all the people who have showed me spots:

Toolman- some sweet runs way out of town and a couple of very nice runs in the city

Rick:

Apology accepted.

I am a little confused, though.

Should I be deeply hurt that you left me off your list?

Or should I be happy that you didn't disclose "my spot"?

Y'know, with it being such a "secret spot".... ;)

Guest bigbadbrent

Rick, i'm becoming a changed man..i havent fished in the city in...nearly a month..once summer is back, i'll be back at my overlooked spot, until it becomes less overlooked, then i'll have to become a changed man again...Doesn't stay overlooked very long with how well it was fishing last year in the last couple months

Hi, I'm Brent..i'm an addict

I've been clean for nearly a month now

I'm slowly finding my ways to new spots that i've yet to see pictures show up, and have no people when i go fishing.

Lets hope i stay clean till summer

btw, i've got a spot for you, though i could call it my spot as i don't know anyone that fishes it, probably due to the fact that if water levels are normal, its impossible to fish.....we'll go fish it one day, whoever wins the categories (first, biggest, most, last, & exotic) can claim it as their own..i won the contest today with my good friend, so its mine as of now.

you also may have noticed my complete lack of specifics in all reports now..fish #, pics, location, flies, etc etc....

Some of the best fun I've had fishing in the last decade was catching fish out of one of the heaviest fished, with most visible fish and highly trafficked location in Calgary. I'm speaking, of course, of the McKenzie Lake-Deer Run Footbridge in good old Fish Creek. The challenge is to catch fish in everbody's spot!

I was wondering... seeing how I have never fished the Bow before, if any of you have a GPS could you post some of the "hot spot" coordinates? I'll use them on my new Garman when I come down...

Thanks in advance :P