Fly Fusion Forums

A Question Of Etiquette

kritofr

Hey,

With upcoming arrival of spring and with a larger influx of speycasters on the water, I have a question to what people would perceive as good etiquette on the Bow river when speycasters and drift boats cross paths.

Obviously, the double handed rods will allow the walk and waders to cover greater distances with their casts and some stretches on the river may not be suitable to accomodate both speycaster and drift boat. So what would constitute good etiquette in the minds of a speycaster when a drift boat floats through?

Personally, as I do both on the river, as a speycaster I would stop fishing to let the boat carry on through and resume fishing when it has gone out of my range. However, if the boat stops in the area that I can cover, then I will resume fishing right away and share the hole.

As a drift boater, I will try my best to get to the other side of the river and try to stay out of the range of the speycaster. However, this isn't alway feasible in some areas or if there are other fishermen on the other side of the river. Or say at the stretch of islands above the Deerfoot trail extension where the speycaster could cast across over halfway to the islands making it difficult for any sort of passage of watercraft.

What are some other opinions out there?

I think a good drift boater would watch where the walk and wade guy is casting then go around that area. Either that or ask them. At least that's been my experience with good drift boaters, pontoon guys, etc. Usually the good ones will pass me by hugging the opposite bank from where I am even when I'm fishing a single hand rod.

As far as tighter spots, both the drift boater and the walk and wade guy should compromise. I would stop casting while the boat passes, and the boat should make an effort to get through the water I'm working as quickly as possible with minimal disturbance. These are ideals as I see it and I know it isn't always going to work out that way...

i think yall pretty much nailed it..best not too be messing with eachothers waters..we all have lots of room too share...there will be some conflicts i suppose but as long as common courtesy is held on both sides i think there shouldnt be too many problems...

Slightly different in Scotland while Speycasting, when the drift boat is passing, you put down your rod, this way the guy in the boat see's its ok to pass, as he passes you give him a wave and smile as you get ready to throw as many rocks as possible before he's out of range. :D

Only kidding..... but that used to happen on the Spey years ago, i think you guys said it all, common sense and some respect for each other is the way to go.

Gordon.

I can only comment on the issues we have had here in BC either on the Island, or the larger rivers like the Dean and Skeena,and it is not always clear. The best rule I have seen for Jet Boats is "no fishing from the boats!"..On the Stamp and a few others the Jet Boaters have been careless and offer little curtousy...although after 10 years fo butting heads over this issue and being in the front I have to say that for the past year or so a respect ,mutually,has been apparent.It seems to have been a learned thing. Drift boats and personal water craft is another issue that has seemed to cross over into dispute too often. According to the reg's the shore fisher has the priority. With that said,a boat entering into an already occupied section needs to basically ,and should,move on or not impede the shore fishing. Although many of us think the fish are always on the other side anyway! We at times run into this off the beach areas where schools of Pink and Coho Salmon will hold for some reason.. the beach waders go out too far into the salt water and move the fish out even further...then the people casting from boats(Belly,Pontoon,Dingy,35' cabin cruisers and other)into the schools from an anchored position come too cl;ose to the waders and only catch eaash others lines...the fish move off never to be seen again!! :unsure: After it's all said and done it's discussions like this that actually make a good and positive change and understanding.

I normally "line in" when a drift boat comes to within about 4 cast lengths. Good time to study the water, have a tea and contemplate life. Remember a few minutes watching a boat drift by is still better than being at work. As far as other people go common sense and common courtesy should prevail even if it is not extended.

I'v been using the spey on the bow for about 6 years on the bow things that I have noticed on the bow is: Boats will go where they please either with a spey rod in your hand or single hander lol....If the pilot/Captian/rower has the etiquette he will notice where your casting and give your the room accordingly...if he does'nt he will not simple as that. The jetsleds/seadoos(for you Brian) and or drifters in BC give you ample of room when they can..understadable your not going to pile your boat into bar's/rocks/bears(happens on the Babine) to avoid where the caster is working but within reason.. Now that said yes the water you cover for sure is incresed with the big stick however does that make a difference its still water "YOU" are covering at the moment...same as it would be with the single hander..you still expect the same respect..Just my thoughts

I normally "line in" when a drift boat comes to within about 4 cast lengths. Good time to study the water, have a tea and contemplate life. Remember a few minutes watching a boat drift by is still better than being at work. As far as other people go common sense and common courtesy should prevail even if it is not extended.

Amen to that Doc.

iagree1.gif

• 2 weeks later...

wading anglers always have the right of way. if a boat must pass near the wader, the clients/fishermen on the boat should be the ones pulling in and taking a break from casting/fishing for a minute or two when passing wading anglers. i do alot of floating and wading. if a guide runs his boat through a waders water and allows his clients to continue fishing he is without any manners or respect. if a d.i.y. drift boat owner drifts through a waders water he/she needs to have further eye lead while rowing. just like driving a car, don't look at the hood, look at the road ahead 30 seconds to a minute or two when rowing...... floating through a waders water is an insult to anyone who rows a driftboat and should be treated accordingly. make an attempt to float around waders or at minimum don't fish as you drift through. simple courtesy. if driftboats continue to mow your grass while wading you can always fish the water right under their boat.

Though I am not a spey caster, I find this thread very interesting!! Boats on the water (whatever the variety) should give the people on shore the "right of way" (so to speak)! I am constantly surprised (to the point where I actually yell at the boaters to pull their lines) that the majority of boaters on the Bow, do not!! I hope it isn't any of the folks on this board, nor any of the local guides. I haven't got to the point of throwing rocks, but that's a great idea! Just kidding ;-)

Boaters, please pull your lines so that us shore folk can have some success, as well!

Cheers!

Peter

I actually laughed out loud reading this thread.

Most boaters, there are always exceptions, give a wide berth to wading fishermen regardless of the pole style in their hands. It is the courteous thing to do. But pull their lines out of the water in addition to giving a wide berth ... give your head a shake. Most of them respect that you walked in to the spot you're fishing and are quite prepared to "leave" you some water to fish but if you expect them to take their lines out of the water as they "leave" you some water to fish just ain't going to happen. Most are quite happy to meander down the middle of the river to allow wade fishermen on both sides of the river "their" water. But take their line(s) out of the water as they pass? Give me a break!

For those of you wading fishermen who have encounters with discourteous boaters, believe me, boaters have the similar encounters with those same discourteous boaters. Further to that, boaters also have encounters with discourteous wading fishermen. Just because they're wading doesn't make them exclusive.

For the sake of being devil's advocate, what gives the wading fisherman the 'right-of-way'? Is it because of his mode of transportation? Is it because of a misconception that he expended more energy to get to the spot he's fishing? While most are quite prepared to yield water to the wading fisherman, can some one please tell me why the wading fisherman has the 'right-of way'? It's all public water so what makes the wading fisherman more deserving of the water?

one4adventure ... do you honestly think that if the boaters pull their lines out of the water as they pass your location it is going to enhance your chances of having success? I hate to be the callous soul that breaks this to you but a fishing party in a boat passing, fishing, lines in or out of the water has little to do with your chances for success. If your success is dismal, it's got nothing to do with the boat, the fishers in the boat or the fact that they passed your location.

Guest bigbadbrent
For the sake of being devil's advocate, what gives the wading fisherman the 'right-of-way'? Is it because of his mode of transportation? Is it because of a misconception that he expended more energy to get to the spot he's fishing? While most are quite prepared to yield water to the wading fisherman, can some one please tell me why the wading fisherman has the 'right-of way'? It's all public water so what makes the wading fisherman more deserving of the water?

The wading angler has no where near the amount of water that he is able to cover, compared to a boat. I believe that gives the wading angler the 'right of way', just due to the fact that if the boat wants, it can go where ever the hell it wants, and the wading angler has to make due with what they can get to.

I'm fine with people fishin when they go by me, but if that means they're going to be tossing into the same water as me, or making me wait for them to finish their cast, is bs. People should at least give me casting room to fish...

There is no reason to 'pull in' but you can at least be courteous and fish the other side of the boat in the 1 minute it takes to get by me....I can cast as far as your boat is out there, but i'm not going to try to fish the water you guys have access to, so you might as well fish that, instead of the bank i'm standing on (hell, its 3 minutes max...why not everyone stop and wave and chat, don't have to worry about casting then if you're in a conversation)

The wading angler has no where near the amount of water that he is able to cover, compared to a boat. I believe that gives the wading angler the 'right of way', just due to the fact that if the boat wants, it can go where ever the hell it wants, and the wading angler has to make due with what they can get to.

Continuing the devil's advocacy ... so because the wading angler can't cover as much water as the boater, the wading angler should have the 'right-of-way'? Doesn't he have the same opportunity to be a boating angler as everyone else out there in a boat? Can't he too go where ever the hell he wants except for that which he can't reach because he's not in a boat? Don't boating anglers have to make do with what they can get to as well? Aren't boating anglers also wading anglers from time to time?

Guest bigbadbrent

Just like a pedestrian has the right of way over a car..

He doesn't have the same opportunity as the guys in the boat, he has a very limited range of options and area to cover, while the guy in the boat can just row to the other side if one side is fishing like crap.

If you're trying to convince me that boating anglers have a harder time or even equal opportunity getting to areas, then you're completely failing, they have an infinitely bigger stretch of water then any shore-bound-angler..

How many square miles of water can a boat cover in a day, compared to a walk and wader..

I'm sure boating anglers that are out of the boat wading, would like the same courtesy that us non-boat anglers want

Like i said, i don't expect people to pull in their lines, but i expect them to not fish the water that i am obviously fishing, or at least with out asking. I will go out of my way to tangle you, if you decide to poach my water

Just like a pedestrian has the right of way over a car..

Still devil's advocate ... a pedestrian in Alberta has the 'right-of-way' by legislation. Not so in other jurisdictions. Is there legislation in Alberta giving the wading angler the 'right-of-way'? If not, it is illogical to associate the two. I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I'm just asking for a legitimate reason for the wading angler to have the right-of-way that actually makes sense with something other than emotion and/or perceived opportunity and/or avaliable options. Is the water not public water? Are the fish in the water not the boater's fish as much as they are your's? Is there a clause in the regulations that I have overlooked that cites the wading angler having the 'right-of-way?

Still devil's advocate ... a pedestrian in Alberta has the 'right-of-way' by legislation. Not so in other jurisdictions. Is there legislation in Alberta giving the wading angler the 'right-of-way'? If not, it is illogical to associate the two. I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I'm just asking for a legitimate reason for the wading angler to have the right-of-way that actually makes sense with something other than emotion and/or perceived opportunity and/or avaliable options. Is the water not public water? Are the fish in the water not the boater's fish as much as they are your's? Is there a clause in the regulations that I have overlooked that cites the wading angler having the 'right-of-way?

Pseudo,

i can definitely appreciate what you are saying! It's just what I've been taught for all the reasons, Brent mentioned (I float occasionally, as well and give shore people lots of room, and pull my line, but that's just me)... You are right, if not pulling their lines, then definitely swing to the opposite side (still, this is the exception to the rule, in my exp.). Nobody owns the water, nor the fish in it, but logically, the boaters do get to cover more water (and better water) and us shore folk, have to be happy with what we have, and is more difficult for us to potentially move to another locale. I also agree that we are expected to mirror the courtesy (and I do).

Cheers!

Peter

I'm just asking for a legitimate reason for the wading angler to have the right-of-way that actually makes sense with something other than emotion and/or perceived opportunity and/or avaliable options.

The wader should have the right of way since he/she is the one that is most likely at risk in the given situation. The drift boat should always steer clear of any waders in order to ensure the waders safety.

This topic was touched upon in the FFA forum when discussing jet boats coming close to waders. It is the same reasoning and from what I recall subject to a fine by law.

The wading angler was there 1st. Just as I hope you would not walk up and start fishing in a hole I was fishing in or heaven forbid walk through rising fish in front of me I trust you'll use some common sense and get as far away as possible.

I started to read this thread as a matter of interest to see if other people on this board have similar ideas as myself with regards to river etiquette. First off, let me say that I do float upwards of 10 or 15 times with my pontoon boat. In the last 5 or 6 years, i have passed litterally hundreds if not thousands of wading fishermen and ladies. Not once have I deliberatly encroached on anothers space. Notice I said deliberately. There have been the odd occasion when I have not noticed the people on shore, or when I am fighting a fish and actually trying to get to the shore, that I have drifted close to another angler. I only say this to point out that I am not completely innocent.

As I scrolled down the various posts, it struck me that a lot of people that walk and wade are all for river ettiquette as long as it's the boating crowd that is giving way to them. I even read one post with veiled threats of throwing rocks or deliberately casting at the boaters. That didn't sound all that courteous to me. Granted the one guy that said it was time to start packing rocks qualifyed his statement with a (ha ha just kidding). I know of no quicker way to start a war than having people throwing things at each other.

It seems to me that river ettiquette works (or should work)both ways. It's simply a matter of respect for each other. My default position is to respect everyone until it is proven that that respect is not warranted.

shouldn't it just be a matter of common sence, When i'm in the pontoon i make every effort to stay clear of the walkers even if they are in a hole i like. I will also sometimes when i'm walking let them fish through. I don't think that in all the times i have let a drift boat cast anywhere near where i was fishing i have seen them pull a fish out where i was. I'm usually chatting with them as they float by so i'm not really fishin anyway. For the most part though the boats usually will move out far enough that they are not bothering me. They're usually gone in 30 seconds, so whats the big deal. I don't think anybody has "the right of way" on the river it's just common curtousy. Feel the love brotha's and sista's. It's a big river.

Its not a matter of a boater being different than a wading angler. You are both the same, you are both fishing. You don't fish in another person's water. Where I learned to row a boat on the steelhead rivers on the coast, if the river is not really wide, you typically try and drift behind the bank fisherman if they are waded out far enough to give you room. Now, this would mean that a flyfisher might not have room to backcast for a few seconds, but it is better than disturbing the fish, although i think steelhead are more particular about boats than trout. I have done this a few times on the Bow, but I usually get weird looks, or the guide boat behind me takes the faster current right in front of the bank angler, and then I am directly behind him as I move back into the current. So now I just usually pass on the farthest side. A funny one you run into here on the Bow sometimes is when bank anglers are on both sides. The river is just wide enough that you could consider the water to halfway in the river being the water the bank angler is fishing. In this case, the best thing to do is just pass down the middle of the river as best as possible. And pull your lines. A boat drifts along pretty fast and you are out of the bank anglers water pretty fast. Another thing. An angler with a fish on the line has the right of way over any other fisherman, whether in a boat or on a bank. You can complain that they should know how to control the fish better to keep it out of your water, yadda yadda, but regardless, that person has right of way. Maybe someday when they have handled more fish, then they will be able to, but until then, you should just smile and wave and say good fish.

Pseudo,

First off, let me add my appreciation for your screen name. I love it!

I realize that in playing devil's advocate you are not necessarily espousing your beliefs, but just putting out opinions to spark thought. I can appreciate that.

That said, I've fished a lot of places and I know of no where that the boat has "right of way" over a wader. Many say this is because of mobility. I disagree. I think it is because, as someone said above, the wader was there first. I fish a lot of places that boats can anchor and fish the same water worked by waders. If the boat is in a spot first, the waders (or at least the courteous ones, there are jerk waders around too!) give the boat room. He was there first. In the absence of any clear rules, one would hope common courtesy would suffice.

I also would not expect a drift boat to pull in lines as they passed me. But I would not expect them to drift the exact same water I am fishing either. Don't get within a couple of casts. My bet is that your expectations would be similar.