Fly Fusion Forums

A Question Of Etiquette

kritofr

I realize that in playing devil's advocate you are not necessarily espousing your beliefs, but just putting out opinions to spark thought. I can appreciate that.

Thanks rickr. My point was and is that no one has the legal "right of way". It is a courtesy extended by most and rudely ignored by others both in boats and wading the banks. If a boat extends the courtesy it's because the pilot chooses to respect your presence. Those idiots who don't extend the courtesy are not breaking any laws and legally have every right to float right through "your" water. So rather than getting livid or contemplating throwing rocks or purposely attempting a tangle or shouting profanities at the boaters, let the idiot pass and don't allow them to ruin your day. Obviously they could care less that they just floated through "your" water so while you may be ticked, it's only your day you're wasting on fretting.

I spend over a hundred days a year in a drift boat on the Bow River and at least that many wading her banks. In the many years I have been doing this, not once has a wading angler thanked me for making special effort to "leave" him "his" water. Not a nod of the head or a tip of the hat. Not even when I'm obviously straining at the oars to make distance between my boat and the wading angler has any wading angler ever thanked me for the extra effort I made to show him the courtesy. Maybe it's a general expectation of wading fishermen that the water in front of them is "their" water and because of that no acknowledgement for the courtesy is necessary. By contrast I couldn't begin to count the number of times I've been thanked by other boaters for changing my course. Courtesy is a two-way street.

all i know is if someboddy had the balls to throw rocks at my boat they would be in for a good ass kickin! lol

*lol* ... I was thinking exactly the same thing. And the three guys in my boat wouldn't be slowed down by waders. *lol* Think about it. The guy behind the oars likely spends over a hundred days a year manually rowing a boat up and down the river and all winter on a rowing machine keeping in shape. Do you really want to throw rocks at this guy? *lol*

the boaters do get to cover more water (and better water) and us shore folk, have to be happy with what we have

one4adventure ... just one more thought before I leave this. Have you ever noticed that, in general, wading fishers wade out into the water as far as they can and cast to the middle of the stream while the boats, the ones with the bent rods, position themselves parallel to the bank and fish to the shore? Better water? You're standing in it!

I just try and give everybody their space and that's all I expect from anyone else.

That said, this season I'm going back to wearing my trademark orange wading jacket and fishin' hat, as a warning beacon for the drifters. That way the oarsman will see me from a mile away and he can give me a wide berth, as I plan on casting my fly all the way across the Fa#King Bow River too the opposite bank, with my Loop Blueline 15' 11wt.... :lol:

There may be a possibility of a low flying 700grain Shooting head, with 15' of T-14 attached, coming out of the bushes and passing overhead, especailly in low light conditions..... :ph34r:

pseudo, you may be correct, as i know of no written law in regards to passing waders. Although it more than likely is a written law in the Canadian Shipping Act or Canadian Shipping Regulations. That would make it federal law and a criminal offence...... i'll look into it sometime, but not soon.

however, it is curtesy and tradition to give the active wading fisherman his water. It has a lot to do with the fact he was there first so what gives you the right morally or legally to float through, on top of, or too close to his water. others are right on this if you where also wading would you hop into the river and wade the same distance from that angler?

i have also guided in the past and still float alot. i also wade alot. so i know sometimes rowers are inexperienced or inattentive or both and mistakenly they come to close for comfort invading the waders "personsal fishing space". a simple i'm sorry works. but if the captain is directing or allowing his sports to continue fishing to the waders bank he is an ignornant or he continues to do so because there is no written law preventing him or his from fishing which ever water they please no matter if it is already occupied.

when people loose curtesy and the "unwritten rule" it forces written law upon us.

other than that if a cast happened to go way further than a wader expected it to he couldn't be convicted of assault or anything in written law either. remember there was no intent to hit the people on the boat, it just happens sometimes when you suddenly have get timing or a good double haul and you didn't even see the boat, just like they didn't see you......

one4adventure ... just one more thought before I leave this. Have you ever noticed that, in general, wading fishers wade out into the water as far as they can and cast to the middle of the stream while the boats, the ones with the bent rods, position themselves parallel to the bank and fish to the shore? Better water? You're standing in it!

I hear yeah... "Better water" is all relative - as is being in a relationship and urning to be single lol

Great discussion, with few feathers actually ruffled (or rocks thrown! ;-)

Cheers!

Peter

The wading angler was there 1st. Just as I hope you would not walk up and start fishing in a hole I was fishing in or heaven forbid walk through rising fish in front of me I trust you'll use some common sense and get as far away as possible.

Johna,

Like this doesn't happen every day on the Bow... talk about ff etiquitte! Sheesh!! ;-)

P

"personal fishing space" is like standing in a line. some lines have alot of people and are crowded, you accept it, your personal space shrinks accordingly. some lines are only a few people long, your personal space grows. when i'm fishing my personal space grows as it should. and it grows bigger when i encounter arrogant, "there's no rules" type of people who float and espeacial fish through my personal fishing space. get it? or do we need laws or regs on this? i wouldn't mind if there where no fishing from boat regs like on many bc rivers on the boat. after all isn't a driftboat the wheelchair of fly fishing?

and please don't breath on my neck when you are behind me in the line at the bank. people like you scare me, you get so close i think you want to do illegal things to innocent people. you know who you are. i know your reply will be "but it's not illegal to stand uncomfortably close to people........"

Of course if you don't fish from a boat, you wouldn't mind no fishing from a boat regulations. The Bow is plenty big enough for boats and bankfisherman. Lets not use BC as a model to follow for sportfishing regulations.