Fly Fusion Forums

Say Is Isn't True!!

Folks,

I fish a lot of stillwaters - some in southern Alberta. Been watching damsels flit here and there with some of them getting it "on". Now there is brown ones and blue ones. Now the browns are females and the blues are males. How come a lot of blues are attached to the blues rather than the browns. Gotta be the Brokeback Mountain effect. You generally see this from Calgay south.

Scary place!!

Don

Folks,

I fish a lot of stillwaters - some in southern Alberta. Been watching damsels flit here and there with some of them getting it "on". Now there is brown ones and blue ones. Now the browns are females and the blues are males. How come a lot of blues are attached to the blues rather than the browns. Gotta be the Brokeback Mountain effect. You generally see this from Calgay south.

Scary place!!

Don

Folks,

Scary place!!

Don

Don,

you may need to get out more. may also want to cancel your subscription to "men in waders" as your view on southern alberta and calgary is getting more skewed every day ( fishing analogies aside) :lol:

generally within a 20k radius of Calgary....I heard them bow river guys when they're done fishin' they like to go home and redecorate just like on TLC...must be all that estrogen that gets flushed everyday... specially prevalent on guys who like to fish downstream of the poo hole

generally within a 20k radius of Calgary....I heard them bow river guys when they're done fishin' they like to go home and redecorate just like on TLC...must be all that estrogen that gets flushed everyday... specially prevalent on guys who like to fish downstream of the poo hole

as opposed to knowing our livestock to well :lol:

So after a long day of doing work in the big city (Don hates the big city) Don decided to go for a beer at a nearby watering hole. Well unknown to him it was a gay bar. So Don walks up to the bar and say’s to the bartender “ I’m so thirsty I could lick the sweat of a cows balls” well the guy sitting next to him steps up and say’s “ MOO MOO Buckaroo” :blink:

Insects employ an incredibly diverse array of tactics to secure access to mates. In some species this has led to alternative mating strategies that involve deception. One form of deception is intraspecific sexual mimicry which has been documented in several species across at least seven different insect orders. Female mimicry by males is believed to be a tactic employed when some males in a population are at a disadvantage in competing for essential food resources or access to receptive females. By mimicking females, these males are able to gain access to territories or nuptial gifts and ultimately to females. In two species of Staphylinid beetles investigators have documented that males who behaviorally, physically, or chemically mimic females can gain access to more vigorous or larger male's territories and in some cases are able to copulate with females attracted to these territories. In other insect species, female mimicry enables males to rob competitors of nuptial gifts that are necessary for successful copulations. This form of mimicry may also serve as a possible post-copulatory mate-guarding tactic. Intraspecific mimicry by females appears to be less common and its adaptive significance remains controversial. In the Lepidopteran family papilionidae there are several species in which numerous female morphs exist sympatrically. The male-like morphs are thought to gain a fitness advantage through decreased levels of harassment by males. A similar theory has been proposed to explain female polymorphism in the coenagrionid damselflies, but evidence in the literature is contradictory.

I, on the other hand, will stay waaaay the hell away from those bugs.

On a side note, I have used Intraspecific mimicry with a lady on a date when we were playing cards and the loser had to drink shots of vodka. She drank them, and I chucked them over my shoulder (we were outside on a picnic) and made a face like I just drank it - it was a tactic that paid dividends. I got to remember the events that followed! There was no mate-guarding to be wary of, and I have since returned to my own territory thereby eliminating the competing male's territory claims.

Insects employ an incredibly diverse array of tactics to secure access to mates. In some species this has led to alternative mating strategies that involve deception. One form of deception is intraspecific sexual mimicry which has been documented in several species across at least seven different insect orders. Female mimicry by males is believed to be a tactic employed when some males in a population are at a disadvantage in competing for essential food resources or access to receptive females. By mimicking females, these males are able to gain access to territories or nuptial gifts and ultimately to females. In two species of Staphylinid beetles investigators have documented that males who behaviorally, physically, or chemically mimic females can gain access to more vigorous or larger male's territories and in some cases are able to copulate with females attracted to these territories. In other insect species, female mimicry enables males to rob competitors of nuptial gifts that are necessary for successful copulations. This form of mimicry may also serve as a possible post-copulatory mate-guarding tactic. Intraspecific mimicry by females appears to be less common and its adaptive significance remains controversial. In the Lepidopteran family papilionidae there are several species in which numerous female morphs exist sympatrically. The male-like morphs are thought to gain a fitness advantage through decreased levels of harassment by males. A similar theory has been proposed to explain female polymorphism in the coenagrionid damselflies, but evidence in the literature is contradictory.

Isn't Colorado State University full of good info? <_<

http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/Entomology/...5/corcoran.html

Jones, if it is your work say so, if it is from another source please list it.

bigboytrout,

Don never goes for a beer in Calgay. You can't tell the bent from the straight bars. Have heard that the "boys" all wear high heels or is that just @ Stampede time.

And Jones - neat stuff - may explain what I've seen.

catch ya'

Don

:lol: :Nice Googling Weedy1.

You didnt really think anyone on this board could have written that did you?

*By mimicking females, these males are able to gain access to territories or nuptial gifts*

Bugs in drag. :D

Mr. Anderson, it could also be them drinking water with birth control pill residues. Maybe someone already said that.

On a side note, I have used Intraspecific mimicry with a lady on a date when we were playing cards and the loser had to drink shots of vodka. She drank them, and I chucked them over my shoulder (we were outside on a picnic) and made a face like I just drank it - it was a tactic that paid dividends. I got to remember the events that followed! There was no mate-guarding to be wary of, and I have since returned to my own territory thereby eliminating the competing male's territory claims.

Glen, glad YOU did well. I on the other had, try this kind of stuff and get told "come on ya wuss get back to workin on that chore list". :P

Wait a minute...

I could have dressed up like a girl in order to "meet" more girls. Really? First off, I don't think I would have been interested in any girls who would have been interested in me dressed like a girl. Doesn't quite match some things I may or may not have imagined from time to time.

Second, I'm going to have to call some old Submarine colleagues of mine. Apparently, they were going about some things all wrong......

DBT, insert googly eyed WTF emoticon here.