• Temple Fork Outfitters
    • St. Croix
    • Fenwick
    • Martin
    • Loop
    • Orvis
    • Don Anderson
    • Gatti

I now live just across the water from Bainbridge Island and can confirm the $40 for a Sage repair. Only difference is, I can call ahead, take a ferry over and be hooked up right away - i.e walk away with my broken tip section. :-)

I'd also recommend the tour of the facility if you're ever in the area. Did that for my birthday this year and it was excellent. Receptionist even sang happy birthday to me over the factory intercom.

I remember a client in BC on the Thompson river. He came up from the US with a battered old fly rod that looked like it had spent time in the back of a pickup. I offered him my clint rod a high end Orvis. He declined, the decals on his rod where gone and some of the thread on the guides where it unwrapped was dabbed with nail polish to keep it in place. One of the eyes was replaced with a paper clip wound with sewing thread. Looked like a Walmart special. The man could cast the tightest loops and hit a dime when I told him where to cast. The fly rod was part of him.

It wasn't the highest end or newest but he loved it and trained himself how to use it. It simply worked for him.

• Like 4

I'd add Gatti to the list. Hard to know which is favorite without owning or fishing at least two different models from each company on the list. My favorite rods are the ones I use for dry fly fishing and for chironimiding; Loomis, Gatti (Italy) and CTS (New Zealand).

• 2 weeks later...