• Temple Fork Outfitters
    • St. Croix
    • Fenwick
    • Martin
    • Loop
    • Orvis
    • Don Anderson
    • Gatti

Sages kill everything else out there in my books. The 390XP and 690RPL+ are the two nicest rods they've ever made.

DBT - Sages aren't cheap, but they don't have to be expensive either. I just picked up my eighth - a beautiful custom 1090-4 Xi2 - and at $500 it's the most I've spent on one yet.

There are some great deals on the used market, and with the rate that Sage discontinues rods at, you can frequently find a brand new outstanding rod for $300-400. A lot of guys on here probably got awesome deals on XPs. Custom builds are also a great way to save money. You could buy XP blanks for $150 last year, which means you could put a better-than-factory rod in your mitts for $250-300. When they discontinued the VPS, you could get two piece midweight blanks for $100-120.

• Like 1

Dan Craft. I don't have a whole lot of experience with a ton of different rods, like some of you do, but the guys over at Rodbuilding.org seem to and they highly recommend them.

According to them, world champion fly casters are using them.

Before I started building Dan Crafts, I had a Dragonfly. Thats a bit of a step up.

How about a "It depends" selection?

I have each of the following: Martin, Sage, St Croix, Powell, Scott and an 'I am not quite sure who made it' rods. They all work depending on the type of fishing and how I feel like fishing.

Cheers,

Tim

I own Sage, G-Loomis and TFO rods. I'll take my Sage rod's over any of the other two, or the Scott, Fenwick and Orivs rods that I've tried. In fact I'll take my Sage DS over the pricier G-Loomis GL3.

Any of you G-Loomis fans want to buy a G-Loomis GL3 4-piece 6 wt so that I can replace it with another Sage? :P

Guest bigbadbrent
I've owned 2 TFO's and one Sage. The Sage is useless, casts like a wet noodle. I guess that's what I get for buying a low-end Sage.

The TFO's are great, I'm sure there are many better rods out there but the TFO's suit my needs just fine.

What sage is it? Chances are is just cause the lower end (launchs) are much slower then the TFO's. Once you go to the FLi or VT2, your looking at a hell of a rod, and the Z-axis is unbeatable. Their top rod, the TCR is insanely fast, you need to double or triple overline it, but then it bombs

Guest Rocknbugs

I have a Sage SP+ 6X, G Loomis GL3 4X, G Loomis GLX 6X and a TFO. TFO never gets used its like trying to golf with a rock taped to the end of a tree branch, its the one I let the kids smack against trees and drag through the parking lot. My Sage was the go to rod for a long time until I bought the G Loomis GLX. The GLX is the sweetest rod I have ever casted and is the new go to rod and the GL3 is a 4X and I love it as well, it casts beautifully and is great for dries on the Bow or the Lake so my vote goes towards G Loomis. If TFO did not manufacter rods in Calgary I would be interested to see how many people did not buy them.

PS: Sage was a close second, nothing bad to say about my Sage, I still love it.