Fly Fusion Forums

New Zealand Update Part 4

Glenbow

Hi guys,

Here's a few more pics of my last days fishing on the S Island. After a day of all kinds of weather, I finally landed the fish I came for - and 8lb Brown on a caddis larva on 5x tippet! It was a spectacular fight, I watched the take and set the hook and the fight was on! He immediately bolted all the way across the river into the current & deep water on the far bank. I had to run with him downstream to keep him under some control, but with 5x it is a risky game at best. These big boys are STRONG! I had to maintain a lot of side pressure & keep changing his head direction to keep him from bolting & snapping off. I was positively shaking when I landed him & got him into the net. After breaking off so many big rainbows on the N Island, I tried everything to keep that from happening to this big boy. It was a big day for me. It rained most of the day & was howling wind & I often had to wait for a lull in the wind for a cast - an errant cast often results in a departed fish so every cast counted. I find that tremendously different to the bulk of fishing we do at home. I think that if you spent any amount of time in NZ you would end up a far more technically developed angler. At least that is true for me. Also, casting 15-18 feet of leader with a dry & a dropper into the wind is much harder than I thought it would be, being used to 9-11 feet. I strongly recommend anyone coming over to practice with those long leaders for accurate casts. I often put the cast exactly where I wanted it only to find the fly 6 feet ahead of where I planned it! That is just where my brain is still used to expecting the fly to land because of not being used to the extended leader length. It is the trip of a lifetime, and I will definitely come back again as soon as I can. Enjoy the photos!

Oreti.jpg

MAtaura1.jpg

Mataura.jpg

MatauraRiverFishing.jpg

Oreticast.jpg

Hook-up!

Oretihookup.jpg

The One I came For - 8lb Brown

Bigbrown.jpg

Bigbrown1.jpg

Bigbrown2.jpg

Bigbrown3.jpg