Fly Fusion Forums

Do You Even Speak To Poachers Anymore?

I've had a few instances (too many) where I was fishing right next to poachers, and the usual "I don't give a f***!" attitude was the norm. They asked why I was using 'that sissy rod' and why I wasn't using bait.

I tried to remain calm and just state facts, but once on the drive home, there was a lot of yelling in my car! I'm passive, and I have no desire to start a confrontation, but it's getting more and more difficult to hold my tongue, especially because of the DILLIGAF attitude.

So, as stated, do you even try and talk to poachers anymore? Or do you just call it in and hope for the best?

-M.

If they look like "accidental" poachers - people who don't know any better - then I'll talk to them. For example, saw a young kid with his parents carrying a rod and a bag of marshmallows toward the river. I mentioned to them that they were only allowed to use artificial lures without any scent on the Bow. The kid looked pretty heartbroken since they didn't have anything else, so I dug out a couple heavier conehead streamers from my fly box and gave them to him.

In the case of guys like you ran into who obviously don't care I wouldn't bother talking to them and just call RAP.

• Like 4

I'm like Chrome, I look at the individual(s) and if they look like they are simply in ignorance of the regs I will give them the heads up. Then depending on the response make a decision to call it in or not. I have got the "Sorry didn't know" and they reel in the line. Also got the "Mind your own #@*+ing business" and made a handy $200.

• Like 3

Report, report, report. Three times I have taken pictures of people holding their illegal catch. "Wow can I get a picture those are great". License plates a couple of times but mostly call in reports. Regulations are given out with fishing licenses, really simple to read even categorized with the lake or stream you are fishing. Let the CEO sort it out, they are better at it. People get mad when caught, better to just observe, record move on and report. Confrontation does no good.

I have chatted with kids and parents a few times.

• Like 3

call it in... the money you get for reward is worth holding your tongue

I really don't get why you should get or expect a reward for reporting a poacher. Isn't it better to turn down the reward and keep the money in place for more enforcment.

I ran into two guys fly fishing on the Bow below the Crowchild Bridge. It was closed which I pointed out. They thought they were in the section that was open, they were from Northern Alberta and had no idea where the WHD headworks were so I told them where Fish Creek was and I hope they had a good day. Discretion is the better part of valor.

• Like 3

I'd just prefer getting a call with the outcome. Esp if the guy was a total d bag and the officer really let him have it.

Often times we are looking at the new private sector privacy of information laws that protect everyone. It is especially true with legal proceedings. The other factor we are looking at is the severe cutbacks in manpower that seldom allow the more social aspects of return contact.

Often times we are looking at the new private sector privacy of information laws that protect everyone. It is especially true with legal proceedings. The other factor we are looking at is the severe cutbacks in manpower that seldom allow the more social aspects of return contact.

True but if you think of The "200 savings" and that they don't need to mention a name, I can't see it being a privacy issue.

Happened to find an appropriate side-link from a man named Lornce... could it be? ;) It was on the outdoorsmenforum.ca weblog, about a similar topic, on July 1-4 weekend/weekday.

Thanks for the replies to this question FFC folks...I will continue yelling in my car, calling in, and I may or may not employ the photo method, (as per) SilverDoctor!

-M.