Fly Fusion Forums

Province Wide Temp. Ban On Atv's

http://www.alberta.ca/release.cfm?xID=417155094530F-91EC-B3DB-0D5F8D450C4C721C

http://www.alberta.ca/emergency.cfm

The Alberta government took the rare step Thursday of issuing a provincewide fire ban, and held a news conference to beg people to stay off their ATVs and off-road vehicles this weekend.

Placing a fire ban on the entire province is "a very rare step" that has economic consequences for campgrounds and recreation facilities, said Environment Minister Shannon Phillips.

But the government decided the fire situation is so dire, and the risk so high, that such a ban was necessary.

All open fires, including campfires and charcoal briquettes, are prohibited. However, portable propane fire pits and gas or propane stoves and barbecues designed for cooking or heating are allowed.

Phillips and Oneil Carlier, the minister of agriculture and forestry, told a news conference that off-road vehicles can easily spark fires in dry conditions.

"We're imploring all recreational groups to limit their off-road use this weekend," Phillips said. "No one wants to be the person who causes another fire in this province."

The government stopped short of closing down all access to provincial forests. But the ministers say that remains an option for the future, if necessary.

"Many Albertans have asked, 'What can I do to help?' " Phillips said. "This is something they can do to help."

The fire ban applies to Alberta's Forest Protection Area and all counties, municipal districts and special areas such as provincial parks and recreation areas.

The fire ban does not apply to cities, towns, villages or summer villages or federal lands such as national parks.

The fire ban will remain in place until further notice

Although it states the following I think the wording could be a bit more concise.

It applies to recreational use on public lands, including designated OHV trails, only. (this is the usage that is now restricted)

Wildfire management staff, along with enforcement personnel, including Conservation Officers and Fish and Wildlife Officers, will enforce the temporary OHV recreational restriction immediately. OHVs include all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), four-wheel vehicles, motorcycles and related two-wheel vehicles and amphibious machines.

^^^ I was kind of confused about that as well. Its not very clear and could easily be taken wither way. Played it safe and headed to the moto track this afternoon instead of out to the trails.

This ban is making me somewhat angry. Not only because i had the bike all loaded up and was literately driving down the driveway headed to waiprous when i found out today :angry:

But because i dont see a reason why they have done this. What are they hopping to achieve from this. Are they worried that some OHV are going to start a fire??? Ive been riding dirtbikes for many years know and not once have i heard this happening. The though of it hasn't even occurred to me. What do people think that these vehicles blast fire and sparks out of the exhaust or something :huh: Why are these fire breathing spark creating machines being banned?? Off all the things they could have done to try and reduce the chance of a fire, this is one of the most pointless. Why dont they ban smoking while there at it. Far more likely some moron will chuck a cigaret out the window and start a fire than a OHV starting one. Even further, why dont they ban driving all in general. Again, just as likely if not more so that a car will crash and start a fire than a OHV starting one. Banning OHV is just useless and will achieve nothing other than making those who ride angry, as you can probably see from this post.. Were not the problem and not what any focus should be on when trying to solve this problem.

From my understanding fires can definitely be started from the exhaust pipes ( that are not stock). Some people alter their exhaust systems and they run really hot. Fires have been started from what I 've been told from a few fire fighters that I work with.

This ban was encourage by ohv riders.

"This action comes in response to the request of the Alberta Off-Highway Vehicle Association"

So my thinking would be that if the association is encouraging a ban on themselves than there must be some real concerns with the machines starting a fire and make a horrible situation worse.. But hey you know better than all other riders so go ahead and rip up wiarprous , I just wouldn't want to be the one responsible for starting the next forest fire while going against the ban..

• Like 2

Modified exhaust systems often don't have a spark arrester and that's the primary concern for starting a fire in long, dry grass. Hope there's lots of enforcement out there this weekend handing out hefty fines and confiscating equipment.

The text posted by SilverDoctor is actually the statement that was issued yesterday and is out of date. The first link he posted goes to the current release stating that there is an outright ban. Our 4x4 group had a bunch of guys planning to go out to McLean tomorrow but decided to cancel the trip yesterday when the first release was issued asking people to avoid going out. Anyone who still goes out now there's a ban on is just selfish considering firefighting resources in the province are stretched so thin. Would an OHV start a fire this weekend? Probably not. Is it worth taking that risk in current conditions where we already have over 80,000 people forced from their homes, many who will have no home to return to? Definitely not.

Im just saying that of all the things they could be doing, enforcing this ban shouldn't be at the top of there list or even on it. Know there are going to be more conservation officers out on the trails catching people not following this ban instead of doing other productive tasks. OHV's are required to have spark arrestors; which prevent sparks, flame, or excessive heat from leaving the exhaust and possibly starting a fire. The people that dont have them are already braking the rules, so i highly doubt that a ban on riding will get them to stop. If it is true that the Alberta Off-Highway Vehicle Association did request that this ban be in place than there must be a reason for it and i respect that. I just assumed that some snotty high end government official who knew nothing of the matter made the ban. And im sure you can see why i would me mad about that.

If it is true that the Alberta Off-Highway Vehicle Association did request that this ban be in place than there must be a reason for it and i respect that.

Yes, it's for the EXACT SAME REASON as an hour previous when you said,'Banning OHV is just useless and will achieve nothing other than making those who ride angry...'

So which is it - useless or reasonable?

Is it possible that 'snotty high end government official' knows what they're talking about - and you don't?

• Like 1

Im just saying that of all the things they could be doing, enforcing this ban shouldn't be at the top of there list or even on it.

Could be, but emotions are running pretty high right now and for good reason. Some of it may only be about perception but missing a weekend or two on the trails isn't the end of the world. A bunch of people who were going to hit the trails this weekend have decided to donate the money they would've spent on gas to the Red Cross instead which seems like a pretty decent thing to do.

Yes, it's for the EXACT SAME REASON as an hour previous when you said,'Banning OHV is just useless and will achieve nothing other than making those who ride angry...'

So which is it - useless or reasonable?

Is it possible that 'snotty high end government official' knows what they're talking about - and you don't?

Yes but know im saying that its not some random government official who knows nothing of what there talking about thats making the closure, but rather people who do know what there talking about.

Morning/ So the minister was on the radio.She said she closed the use of OHV'S.Because ofcourse the dryness of the bush.BUT mostly because the OHV community riders asssoc. requested for her to do this. 660 cfr

For those interested in a study released in 2004. Yes the OHV community riders asssoc. requested the closures to be good citizens. Proactive on the behalf of the community, I am hoping the move will also educate, which would be great.

Published September 26, 2012

This study was initiated upon the request of Alberta Environmental Protection to investigate the relationship between all-terrain vehicle (ATVs) and fire ignition within Alberta’s forests. The report summarizes the use of ATVs in Alberta and the specific causes of wildfires associated with these vehicles, describes fire history from 1990 to 2002, reports on other agencies’ strategies to lower the probability of ATV-caused fires in forested areas, and makes recommendations for Alberta.

You can download the report here.

Well, I hope they start enforcing this immediately, as I was out at Bear Pond yesterday and could hear the ATV's and dirt bikes out, as well as a HORDE of Weekend Warriors dragging their mobile homes into Indian Graves. Empty when we arrived at 10:00am, and PACKED when we left at 6:30. Every single one had a toy hauler along with quads and dirt bikes.

Just got off the water at Policemen's Flats just now and there is a guy driving around with his kids on a quad (kids with bike helmets, dad with no helmet) 👍👍

I'd report him but have no idea who to call!!

I'd report him but have no idea who to call!!

From the link in the first post:

"Wildfire management staff, along with enforcement personnel, including Conservation Officers and Fish and Wildlife Officers, will enforce the temporary OHV recreational restriction immediately."

Coulda called RAP.