Fly Fusion Forums

Duck Recipe

This is how we have done it for years and is Mom's recipe, duck is fatty so it is a bit of a process for a yummy meal. Remove the excess fat and trim, poke the skin all over with a knife but don't pierce the meat or it will dry it out. Boil a pot of water and immerse the duck in boiling water for 10 minutes to render out some of the fat. Pull it out of the water and pat it dry with a cloth. We usually let the bird cool a bit.

Make yourself a rub for the outside, we usually use salt, pepper and paprika and rub the duck inside and out with spices. Put the duck on a rack (to keep it from immersing in it's fat) in a roasting pan breast side up.We will often stuff it with stove top stuffing with a whole head or two of garlic & cut celery pieces. Preheat oven to 450.

Put er in the oven for 15 minutes, lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees. After 45 minutes, remove duck from oven & remove any fat from the pan. Turn the duck over, put it back in the oven for 35 minutes. At the end of the 35 minutes, remove duck from oven, remove any fat that may have accumulated, and carefully turn duck back over so breast side faces up. Cook for another 15 minutes to 20 minutes (total cooking time should add up to about 22 minutes per pound). Careful not to overcook, use a meat thermometer, the temperature should be 175 degrees at the thickest part of the leg.

Hope this helps, now back to making Cabbage rolls for Xmas.

• Like 2

I like to take the breasts, brine them and then spread one side of the breast with herb and garlic cream cheese and some sliced jalapenos roll them up and then cover with a slice of bacon and throw them on the bbq or in the oven. Always works well for snacks or appys

Next time just buy duck breasts with the fat cap left on and try this:

http://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipe/seared-duck-breast-with-roasted-plums-and-celeriac/8480/

I didn't like duck till I did that recipe. The plums are nice, you can swap the celeriac for another starch or tuber if you like.

The real key to this is don't overcook duck!

• Like 1

Here's my best recipe for duck Breast:

Pan fry skin down in real butter with salt pepper on medium heat for a very short time less than a minute per side, then remove let set for five minutes, then thinly slice the breast and enjoy.

The problem most have is over cooking wild game never overcook it, should always be med rare.

Actually another good one for a whole duck is to do it on the BBQ rotisserie. put a small pan or aluminum foil to catch dripping so they won't flair. Duck isn't easy to prepare, but it can be tasty, but like many dishes it's worth the effort (if you want fast food there are may options). Growing up duck along with big game and rabbit graced our table, it helped offset the family budget. I've also had smoked duck and deep fried duck.

My favorite Texas recipe for duck was grilled mesquite plank duck

First make a rub with paprika, cumin, a bit of red pepper, and kosher salt

Use rub liberally inside and out of duck

Heat grill to 400

Place duck on wetted cedar plank (should wet board a few hours in advance) breast side up

Cook until fattest part of leg is 175 (about 30-45 minutes)

Remove from grill, throw duck away, eat plank.

Tungsten's recipe is great as well.

Or you can go to France and eat their domestic duck.

• Like 2

I cook a lot of wild duck.

Recipe 1:

Generously cover duck breast with ground pepper on both sides. Wrap tightly with fatty bacon. Place in preheated barbecue on full heat 4-5 minutes per side. Eat!

Recipe 2:

Pluck chest of duck, breast out meat leaving skin and fat on the breasts. Brine in pickling salt, maple syrup, brown sugar, black pepper and guiness for 12-24 hours. Cold smoke for 3 hours with maple or cherry wood then fry skin side down on low heat until meat is medium to medium well.

Duck has to be a little bit pink in the center or it tastes like bad liver. I sometimes use a meat thermometer and follow the same temperature guidelines as you would when cooking beef. I'm not sure if thats ok with store bought or not but I always do it with wild duck and have never gotten sick.

• Like 1