Fly Fusion Forums

Good News For Cutties!

Now to see how this impacts anglers and makes any difference whatsoever in preserving the species. Excerpt from the link:

"As a result, for individuals of aquatic species listed as extirpated, endangered or threatened, steps taken to help protect and recover them include

• prohibitions against
    • killing, harming, harassing, capturing or taking an individual;
    • possessing, collecting, buying, selling or trading an individual or any of its parts or derivatives; and
    • damaging or destroying the residence of one or more individuals;
  • the preparation of a recovery strategy and one or more action plans; and
  • the identification, to the extent possible, and legal protection of critical habitat."

So, no more cutty fishing? No more ATV's along the east slopes? How will this translate into change.

negative, just threatened under COSEWIC, not SARA listed

I'm all for not fishing in the headwaters where there are pure strain.. hopefully this can push some meaningful enforcement onto the ATV users as well.. Considering they're looking at ones that are >99% pure, I doubt 0.01% of the anglers in AB have even caught one.

• Like 5

Now to see how this impacts anglers and makes any difference whatsoever in preserving the species. Excerpt from the link:

"As a result, for individuals of aquatic species listed as extirpated, endangered or threatened, steps taken to help protect and recover them include

• prohibitions against
    • killing, harming, harassing, capturing or taking an individual;
    • possessing, collecting, buying, selling or trading an individual or any of its parts or derivatives; and
    • damaging or destroying the residence of one or more individuals;
  • the preparation of a recovery strategy and one or more action plans; and
  • the identification, to the extent possible, and legal protection of critical habitat."

So, no more cutty fishing? No more ATV's along the east slopes? How will this translate into change.

"killing, harming, harassing, capturing or taking an individual"

Sounds like no cutty fishing to me!!

If it saves a species, isn't that worthwhile?

For sure, but will it make a difference? I am genuinely very interested in what this means (not just trying to bring out the negative responses). It would appear as though genetic introgression is the main threat at this point in time, that is going to be a very tricky issue to address and has very little to do with habitat protection or the like. Protection of fish habitat is good, we are just going to have to see if this helps out our cutthroat trout.

This definitely is an announcement that defines the all encompassing and overarching components described within. Compliance and administration will rationalize a proactive approach to the issue. The resulting legislation will further focus the efforts of those effected and serve to define and strategize a process that will create substantial steps, which will be taken to achieve the desired end point. The obfuscation is paramount and points to an initiative that will cause a maximum benefit to all involved.

• Like 1

This definitely is an announcement that defines the all encompassing and overarching components described within. Compliance and administration will rationalize a proactive approach to the issue. The resulting legislation will further focus the efforts of those effected and serve to define and strategize a process that will create substantial steps, which will be taken to achieve the desired end point. The obfuscation is paramount and points to an initiative that will cause a maximum benefit to all involved.

Hmmm.

"killing, harming, harassing, capturing or taking an individual"

Sounds like no cutty fishing to me!!

I was wondering the same thing myself. I think it is safe to say there is now a zero limit in place. Less clear is whether targeting cutties and doing c&r constitutes "harassing" and "capturing". I think the argument could be made that it does.

I'm cautiously optimistic but without additional funding for enforcement this will be no more than a bunch of hot air. Quads already break the law regularly out there, so adding more laws/protection will do very little without the means to enforce them.

And my next question is whether the Feds now have some stronger responsibility around enforcement.

It looks like the SARA federal recovery strategy largely adopts the provincial strategy put in place. Page 22 of the federal strategy notes that catch and release angling is permitted: http://www.sararegistry.gc.ca/virtual_sara/files/plans/rs_truite_fardee_wstslp_cutthroat_trout_0314_e.pdf

The strategy (pdf 92) also indicates thatbsportfishing regs should be evaluated.

It is worth a skim through, but doesn't go into great detail regarding specifics.

• Like 2

It looks like the SARA federal recovery strategy largely adopts the provincial strategy put in place. Page 22 of the federal strategy notes that catch and release angling is permitted: http://www.sararegistry.gc.ca/virtual_sara/files/plans/rs_truite_fardee_wstslp_cutthroat_trout_0314_e.pdf

The strategy (pdf 92) also indicates thatbsportfishing regs should be evaluated.

It is worth a skim through, but doesn't go into great detail regarding specifics.

That strategy document predates the Nov 20th order, so my thoughts are that there may be a whole new ballgame underway. Maybe not though... obfuscate for the win!

Obfuscate for the win indeed!

I canvassed a couple of our environment people at work yesterday as to what this means - they are happy to chat SARA with anyone who will listen: my newfound lamens understanding of SARA is that after a species is listed as threatened, a recovery strategy is required under section 37-46, as well as an action plan under section 47-55, and a critical habitat order under S 58(as well as a whole bunch of other stuff). I think this means all the pieces are supposed to be complementary. I did a quick Google search, but couldn't find the "action plan" piece.

Hopefully the order gives a bit more teeth in protecting the headwaters from burning new ohv trails and clear cutting right next to critical streams (i.e. Hidden creek!)

I agree with this legislation. I think that if shutting down fly fishing and any other form of recreation in these headwater streams where these fish exist is required, then so be it. It has reached a point now that all possible means must be undertaken to ensure the survival of the few native cutthroat trout populations still existing in the province.

• Like 1

Potentially another small bit of good news:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/alberta/ottawa-declares-proposed-alberta-coal-mine-site-endangered-trout-habitat/article27571074/

Looks like the impacts of some of these projects are finally going to be fairly questioned. I know several people who have worked their asses off for years on this. I can only imagine their level of elation over the news that has come out this week.

I think that if shutting down fly fishing and any other form of recreation in these headwater streams where these fish exist is required, then so be it.

Ugh, I want to agree with you but I can't. Complete shutdowns (not like the temporary closures last summer) can be a slippery slope that produces all sorts of other unintended consequences.

• Like 1

Ugh, I want to agree with you but I can't. Complete shutdowns (not like the temporary closures last summer) can be a slippery slope that produces all sorts of other unintended consequences.

Well, at least when they do a temporary closure, they'll think twice about how they do it. Last years 'open for fishing' map was pretty well an outline of pure strain westslopes.

It's my understanding that policy makers and fishery professionals believe it a net benefit to have anglers "on the water". We as a group, can provide intimate knowledge of the fishery and can serve as a watchdog to encourage good behavior and report transgressions when required. Speaking with the above on this, I was given no indication this would affect the fishing regulations for 2016. What it will provide is some much needed clarity for all user groups and industry operating in close proximity to threatened native fish.

Our Bull Trout in the South Saskatchewan drainage are now under consideration for the same "threatened" status by DFO. The survey regarding this was posted here I believe. Further information on this and other issues affecting our native fish (and non-natives too!) can be found on the Oldman River Chapter, TU's Facebook page. I spend most of my social media time there now so if anyone has any questions or would like to offer assistance, please contact me through the page or the chapter.

Time to feel positive about the direction of your fishery gang! I, for one, truly believe the corner has been turned.

-Winston

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Kudos to those who made this happen, I really hope that this does mean more protection for the fisheries of the East Slopes. That said, I think this may just the start of the battle. I recently listened to an episode of Quirks and Quarks where the host was interviewing a scientist who was lamenting the fact that the SARA has done very little to protect any species of animal, once listed, from further population declines. The scientist then cited the example of the porbeagle shark population that is declining but is still being fished commercially. If you go to the Suzuki foundation's website they are also pretty critical of SARA saying that the only animal it has protected are the snails in the Banff hotsprings. On the other hand, the DFO cites the SARA and the porbeagle shark as a sucess story. I'm not sure who to believe, but either way the bottom line is the political will has to be there to actually make use of this legislation and to give it some teeth, so to speak.

• Like 1