Fly Fusion Forums

Pelicans And Their Natural Predators

I have tried to find information on what is a pelicans natural predator. I know that they move to the Gulf coasts during the winter but I can find only minimal info on any animals that scare them or cause them to "move along" to another area. Eagles are one of their enemies. Crocks maybe?

I do know that a full grown adult can eat up to 6lbs of fish a day and according to the guides in Montana, they will usually go after whitefish and carp down there as they are supposed to be "slower" than trout.

Looking for info to help protect a larger pond with some sort of "scarecrow" type of decoy in order to save the smaller stockers that seem to be vulnerable to the big buggers. At one time, there was a flock of 24 on the water in the spring. That pretty much wiped out two to three years of stocked fish. IMO.

Seeking advice to keep these birds from returning year after year.

Thanks.....FHD

I dont know how much money is in the budget to protect the fish but. You can buy a drone and program it to have facial recognition. The drone sits on a charging pad and monitors the pond through a camera it is programmed to recognize birds. When the birds come within a set perimeter the drone will automatically leave the docking station chase the birds out of the perimeter an then return to station.

• Like 2

Well, technically: "The American white pelican is protected by the provincial Wildlife Act and it is illegal to kill or harass individuals or disturb their nests at any time of the year."

I'd suggest trying passive measures prior to going on the offensive. Maybe delay the stocking till after the typical migration period.

• Like 1

Good points! This lake used to hold some pretty big trout, but has seen a sharp decline this year. The lake has been stocked and has fished well for the past twenty years at least. These birds seem to know this place well now, and do not appear to be as eager to leave with any sort of encouragement. We believe they are foraging at night, but realty have not proven it. Tough call but I do like the idea of putting the stocking off until the Pelly's have moved on. I really like the drone idea but not sure if this would be looked upon favorably. Hopefully they find a solution before next year! Paul, I will send you the contact as promised.

Cheers