Fly Fusion Forums

Fall Jacket

Spurly

Looking to purchase a Jacket for this time of year, more of a shell, will have base layers underneath.

Mostly for still water fishing, on the pontoon boat.needs to be waterproof, and wind proof, with a hood.

What are most of you using, or what would be a good recommendation.I am a couple hrs from Calgary, so selection is poor in my area.

Thanx in advance.

Have looked at the Simms wind jacket, but with exchange and shipping, it gets a bit expensive.

Looking to purchase a Jacket for this time of year, more of a shell, will have base layers underneath.

Mostly for still water fishing, on the pontoon boat.needs to be waterproof, and wind proof, with a hood.

What are most of you using, or what would be a good recommendation.I am a couple hrs from Calgary, so selection is poor in my area.

Thanx in advance.

Have looked at the Simms wind jacket, but with exchange and shipping, it gets a bit expensive.

What is your budget? Will you plan to do any winter fishing?

Do you already have a good gortex shell?

They're not cheap, and there not a shell, but I wear my Patagonia nano religiously, especially the hooded one. Perfect fishing jacket, fall layer or can wear to work. Stuff in a pack easily when it warms up.

Funny to think of it now, but that's easily the best $$ I've ever spent on a jacket. Thing is 4 years old and still wear it daily

The shelled nano would meet all your requirements, and look way less dorky then the Simms Bulkley

• Like 1

As a guide I get asked that question quite a bit.

Also we are all admitted gear heads so this is the prosedure I go though. Tell clients

a) What do I need it for ( I already have 2 of everything )

B) What do I want it to be able to do ( gear is a tool and there is no perfect tool for everything )

c) What am I willing to pay ( more versitile the tool the higher the price )

d) Brand there is lots to chose from. ( do your research not always the highest price. )

e) Living in tourist haven here are a couple of my fav online sites ( the last hunt , live out there , altitude sports. They are all Canadian )

Look for a wading jacket, they are a good bet as they're more than a shell. Simms, Frog Toggs, Patagonia, Loop, Snowbee and other brands offer some great products with lots of pocket's and a nice water/weatherproof shell and lined inner. I have a couple I like for cool fall wading including a Simms and a Readhead.

For flexibility and reliability in multiple conditions, a good gortex shell is hard to beat. My favourite is Patagonia---I am sure they are still good. My shell has lasted over 7 years of all-season use. Unfortunately, it was $550. Gortex is not my first choice for a summer/spring downpour (straight up rain gear is your best choice), but it will still keep you warm and dry.

For a downpour Gore-Tex is my only choice. Gore-Tex waders will keep the river out so they'll handle a downpour easily enough.

My wife is a field biologist. She spends 12 weeks a year hiking through the bush.

If you need to wear a jacket all day, Goretex is the best for all around gear. This can happen in late summer or early spring.

For late spring/summer, where I will probably will not wear a jacket for the most of the day, and if you just need to have rain gear for a 1 hour or 2 hour rain contingency, a straight-up rain jacket works just as well as Goretex to keep you dry, generally has a smaller packing footprint, and is a fraction of the price of goretex.

http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/rainwear.html

I carry a Northface rain shell rolled tight in the back of my vest for most trips, with some layers I can shuck. Then a Wading Jacket for cooler days. Only time I forgot my rain shell -> it rained. Go figure. Had to make do with a borrowed space blanket (also a good thing to carry).

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up buying a Simms wind stopper hoody for a shell, but will still buy a warmer jacket as well. Looking at the Simms Bulkey, if somebody has better suggestions let me know please.

The Windstopper hoody is pretty good for fall and spring especially since the wind is what gets to you the most. Instead of getting the Bulkley jacket I'd look at picking up an insulated mid-layer to wear underneath the Windstopper hoody unless you need something waterproof. I've mostly been wearing Arcteryx insulation layers because I can also wear them around town and Arcteryx is based in Burnaby. When you call Arcteryx customer service a real live person in Burnaby picks up the phone (not even a menu system!) and helps you without having to transfer you to five other people. If you need to send something back for repair under their lifetime warranty you don't have to deal with cross-border shipping either. Take a look at the Atom series for synthetic insulation or the Thorium series if you want down.