Fly Fusion Forums

Orvis Sling Packs

Guest bigdirty

I used the guide sling for over a year. Loved it. Lots of well placed pockets and built for a fisherperson. Lots of room for everything you would need for an extended day trip.

Some things I didn't like about it;

It had soft foam on the back, so when contents of the bag shifted the shape of the bag changed. Which could lead to some discomfort.

Summertime Temps and the strap across the chest led to low airflow around my body. Not something I noticed in the other seasons.

No straps for lashing a rod case or rain coat.

The material in the one I have is not water resistant and soaks up the rain or a dunking. Gets heavy fishing the rainy days.

I have been giving a sage large waist pack a go, and so far I'm loving it. Even more stuff built for fishing and a place for my coat.

• Like 1

Guest bigdirty

Patagonia makes a submersible sling. Big coin. Haven't seen a sage one.

I went with the orvis mainly due to price, but it also seemed more outfitted to fishing. The Patagonia sling would be great for camera gear.

Spent a lot of time wearing these in field testing. They are perfect for day trips and if you have any need for a camera, get the guide sling. You can fit a lot in there, they are mostly comfy (the caveat is if you over load them like we always have), and really easy to use. There's room for lunch, several fly boxes (enter the Tacky), tippet & all other *hit, a water bottle holder that actually holds your larger bottle and doesn't lose it while going bush, and space for your jacket. All while not burning out your shoulders.The caveat is to figure out where to hang your net in a manner that works for you, but hand landing & flipping, or tailing is likely friendlier on the fish anyway. Hope that little bit helps.

• Like 1

I had the previous model the digital camo & liked it a lot, but was always looking for a little more room, so went to the new olive colored guide sling & it's been great so far, except for the net thing as Dave said, which can be an annoyance sometimes.

• Like 1

I recently went from a sling back to a vest. Got tired of always having to unclip the strap, rotate the sling to the front, open a zipper, root around for what I needed, rotate sling to back, do up strap, undo strap, rotate to front again, close zipper because I left it open, rotate to back, do up strap, undo strap, rotate to front again, open zipper, grab floatant because I forgot it, actually remember to close zipper this time, rotate to back, do up strap, fish. I just found that the sling seems like a great idea in theory but in practice it's more of a nuisance. The vest looks a little geeky but I waste way less time looking for things and spend more time fishing.

I recently went from a sling back to a vest. Got tired of always having to unclip the strap, rotate the sling to the front, open a zipper, root around for what I needed, rotate sling to back, do up strap, undo strap, rotate to front again, close zipper because I left it open, rotate to back, do up strap, undo strap, rotate to front again, open zipper, grab floatant because I forgot it, actually remember to close zipper this time, rotate to back, do up strap, fish. I just found that the sling seems like a great idea in theory but in practice it's more of a nuisance. The vest looks a little geeky but I waste way less time looking for things and spend more time fishing.

This is my huge frustration with the sling. The only thing that is readily available is forceps on the front strap, otherwise you need to constantly flip the thing around.

You guys must be doing a hell of a lot of digging. I've been running the same Patagonia sling since the day it came out, and haven't looked back. It's been up and down the trout creeks, to mexico and steelheading. Thing is awesome.

I also only do up the one strap so I don't have to undo anything to swing it around. You'll never see me back to a vest or hip-pack (all of which I've owned).

You guys must be doing a hell of a lot of digging.

Just seems that whatever I'm trying to get out of the sling has always made its way to the very bottom.

I also only do up the one strap so I don't have to undo anything to swing it around.

Tried this and found it shifted around too much on me. I have the same issue with the messenger bag I use for work.

Picked up a Fishpond Vaquero Vest this spring. Quite like it, reminds me of my Old Fison Vest. lots of pockets and room plus I can carry it for the day without sore shoulders.

I've been using a Filson strap vest for 2 seasons and love it. It's not as big as big as a backpack or my old Brady bag but it forces me to carry only the essential and i find there's just enough pockets for me for a day on a creek. I used to take my old Brady shoulder bag when i didn't want to take a full backpack but somehow after a few hours i always got a really sore back by having the weight just on one side and had to use something else.

Guest bigdirty

Lost a water bottle, in the hip pack, today. The orvis water bottle holder has an elastic tie strap that goes around the top of your bottle, smart.

How to use a sling pack 101

Walk to river with pack on.

Get to run/hole/riffle/tail out

Take sling off and put on ground.

Fish.

Hook fish.

Lose said fish.

Cast several more times to rising fish.

Realize you lost fish cause it broke you off.

Bend over to sling pack and put on new fly.

Fish.

Catch fish.

Put sling back on.

Move to next hole/run/riffle/tail out

Repeat as necessary.

• Like 1

I've been using a Filson strap vest for 2 seasons and love it. It's not as big as big as a backpack or my old Brady bag but it forces me to carry only the essential and i find there's just enough pockets for me for a day on a creek. I used to take my old Brady shoulder bag when i didn't want to take a full backpack but somehow after a few hours i always got a really sore back by having the weight just on one side and had to use something else.

I was going to pick up another Filson this year but the price has gone up quite a bit. still think I'll end up with another one at some time though when the employment picture gets better. Have to say its the vest I fished the longest.

So, to throw a wrench in everyone's sling pack and vest love... once you wrap your head around what's happening with this pack you'll really have to mull over what to buy, what to use. This thing is really good for camera folks when ff. The two part pack means you simply can swing the bottom 1/2 of the pack around your waist and get all your stuff without unclipping or zipping. http://www.mindshiftgear.com/products/rotation180-horizon They're about to send up another like-concepted field test demo of a pack based on fly fishing so that might be interesting. And yes, our collection of these packs, bags, and slings is getting outrageous. I think we're in the mid-20s downstairs now.

• Like 1

They're about to send up another like-concepted field test demo of a pack based on fly fishing so that might be interesting.

Glad you mentioned this. I have been mulling around getting a mindshift trail all summer but may hold out a bit longer. I always though fly fishing specific companies charged a premium, however camera companies take this to a whole new level. The weak dollar hasn't helped either.

Any details you can share about the new fly pack (size comparison, features, etc?)

Simms small headwaters over my vest for me. I like it and serves the purpose.

I like pockets for all my minute to minute stuff, camera, radio, flies, floatant, tools, all up front and easy with a vest.

Lunch, jacket and back-up stuff in the pack. Saves all the slingin' and works best for me. Net stays high on the vest clip for easier reach.

My vest is always rigged and ready, in a moment, to go fish. The pack goes on for anything extended.

I love my Patagonia Sling pack - but I would be inclined to say it is a half day pack, you can fit some jerky and a snack but not really big enough for a proper lunch or emergency gear. I use a ultraviolet purifier wand instead of hauling water, It suited me well this summer because most fishing was just a few hours here and there as opposed to full day trips. I love the dry pocket for licences/phone etc. only complaint is my bearspray and knife slide all over the strap whenever you swing the bag forward, gotta find a way to keep them put with the bag. I wear a lanyard so I don't have to swing it forward unless I fubar a leader or need to change flies.

I like that I can just grab it and go, facilitated a lot of little 2 hour outings on the Pipestone after work this summer!