Fly Fusion Forums

Keep Your Camera Handy...

That's *hit.I see them "a " holes driveing out there all the time.it doesn't matter if your parked there or driveing in the River fluids can leak out of your vehicle and contaminate the River never mind erosion. I wish they would do something about that so that people couldn't drive down there but then again who wants to park in the parking lot where people are breaking into trucks and cars daily.

Unfortunately, many of these so called jack asses really don't know the impact. The ones that do know are the real jacks. Please don't misunderstand and think I'm defending anyone, quite the contrary.

I had a conversation recently where the people honestly didn't appreciate what they were doing (granted mild infractions but infractions none the less). The discussion went very quickly to how minimal their actions were compared to the big players (cattle/forestry/O&G, etc). I won the day by expressing the fact that "you", as a human individual, have a brain, where a corporation does not. A rancher has been doing the same thing for decades, so may not appreciate what the big deal is now. I also had the ammunition of "concrete" sedimentation that I only recently became aware of myself. That, in itself, is strong argument to help people understand WHY sediment is bad during low flow periods compared to when the rivers do it naturally during high flow spring runoff.

We, as stewards and protectors, need to continue the education and support each other with good arguments for said protection. Do not think that a person, who does not fish (or hunt), understands and appreciates your point of view. Many do not, and convincing them otherwise can be lesson in futility and frustration. Please keep your cool and keep trying to win the good fight.

And this counter position that "other" bigger players are MORE to blame is the most frustrating thought process to listen to! The most confounding thing is that it is very firmly entrenched.

I am anxious to hear of any good information, and how to deliver it, to help with these discussions in the future.

• Like 4

There are always trucks parked next to the river, fly fisherman waiting for hatches late into dark. Shame.

Same thing with Cranston, as soon as they built roads down in the valley, people have been driving right up to eroded river bank. Again fly fisherman....is it really that inconvenient to walk 100 yards from the street parking???

These folks are not elderly or physically incapable of walking the distance, they just don't give 2 chits.

• Like 2

That's *hit.I see them "a " holes driveing out there all the time.it doesn't matter if your parked there or driveing in the River fluids can leak out of your vehicle and contaminate the River never mind erosion. I wish they would do something about that so that people couldn't drive down there but then again who wants to park in the parking lot where people are breaking into trucks and cars daily.

Not much choice but to drive on the beach if your trying to launch a boat at Glenmore....same goes for Police and Mac.

Driving up the river like an a$$hole in your mall crawler SUV just to see how high into the air you can splash water is another matter entirely.

But I spose wealthy citiots need to somehow justify having a snorkel on their Land Rover....I mean...ya never know,if you're on the wrong side of the river and it's 5 minutes til last call at Starbucks.....??

I was at Waiparous last week end, pretty depressing... Tons of tracks across the creek, and had 2 guys cutting our path in their motorbikes and casually going across the creek to continue on their trail. Got pictures of them but there's not much to show... It's a gong show out there.

I was at Waiparous last week end, pretty depressing... Tons of tracks across the creek, and had 2 guys cutting our path in their motorbikes and casually going across the creek to continue on their trail. Got pictures of them but there's not much to show... It's a gong show out there.

There are designated fording points on the trails in Waiparous. The ones we use to cross have bottoms with large rocks that don't stir up silt and aren't in spawning water. The softer crossings on the trails I've used have bridges over them (I know because I helped put one of them in). Driving up and down the creek is illegal and so is crossing at a point that isn't on the trail.

If nothing else post pictures on social media. Shaming helps even if they are not caught.

No, social media shaming doesn't help anyone. Please think twice before you do something like this.

Just google "social media shaming" and you'll find a ton of articles about how quickly it can spiral out of control. Just look at the recent example from Stampede.

It's the 21st century version of being put in the village stocks.

I'll let F&W take care of the social media shaming when they make a bust.

• Like 1

Just google "social media shaming" and you'll find a ton of articles about how quickly it can spiral out of control. Just look at the recent example from Stampede.

Only relevant if you hold their humanity in any regard or believe they have something positive to contribute to the world. Can't say that I do.

There are times when social media is clearly used inappropriately, for bullying and harassment with tragic results (Rehtaeh Parsons). Lots of examples out there, particularly of youth, who have been "shamed" through social media where the tidal wave of vituperative attention is harmful for them and their families. I think these are the cases where everyone would agree that social media shaming is a bad thing. Then there are cases where the social media backlash is more understandable... in case you've been completely offline for the last few days, just google Walter Parsons. Even in these kinds of cases, things often go to far. Do I personally think Walter's lion hunt was reprehensible, and that negative consequences for his business/career as a dentist are understandable -- yup. Do I think he deserves to be physically threatened, and have calls for him to be extradited and hanged -- nope (too far).

For another, closer-to-home but perhaps cloudier example, look at Eddie Parent. He's the fellow dubbed by social media last year as the Ontario "muskie hater" after a youtube video captured him clubbing a muskie and tossing the dead fish back in the water. In the video, there's a heated discussion where he says some not too flattering things about the fish species and what should happen to them. The youtube video and attention it mustered resulted in an arguably deserved fine of $1000 and loss of fishing license for 2 years. Score one for social media! But online comments calling him an "evil monster" and the threats of harm he has subsequently received (like "club him") venture to the other side of acceptable.

We haven't lost all vestiges of the village stock. Still have our right to attend court hearings, and to publish the outcomes of most of them (save when victims rights to privacy are jeopardized or when the offender is a youth). You could argue that the reason for this is so that we have an open and public justice system that people can trust in, but I think the real motivation is just as much for the shaming effects as well. Our new reality is that information (and judgement) now spreads at light speed. Going to take our global culture a while to figure out the balance.

• Like 1

I absoulty agree with you vagabond I would never in a million years say anything about launching a boat there.I have done it my self.I think that signs and other methods may or may not work.What really pisses me off when you see the "a" holes parked a foot off the water standing in the back of there trucks haveing a beer and casting 15 pound buzz bombs.If there's any way to start a petition or something to at least get this a little more notest by city councillors or bylaw lets do it.To me it's just a bunch of lazy asses who can't walk 50 yards from the parking lot to the river then decide holy crap this would be great I can show off in my wifes suv.They are just like a bunch of little kids showing off for anybody who will watch.well I guess that was a rant there was no one out there tonight when I went by.I guess I need a Pepsi and a cigar now I'm all worked up.

I absoulty agree with you vagabond I would never in a million years say anything about launching a boat there.I have done it my self.I think that signs and other methods may or may not work.What really pisses me off when you see the "a" holes parked a foot off the water standing in the back of there trucks haveing a beer and casting 15 pound buzz bombs.If there's any way to start a petition or something to at least get this a little more notest by city councillors or bylaw lets do it.To me it's just a bunch of lazy asses who can't walk 50 yards from the parking lot to the river then decide holy crap this would be great I can show off in my wifes suv.They are just like a bunch of little kids showing off for anybody who will watch.well I guess that was a rant there was no one out there tonight when I went by.I guess I need a Pepsi and a cigar now I'm all worked up.

I'm working on this with my Councillor that I work for at City Hall. See the blog I posted about Bow River 4X4. I'll keep whining about it until my boss is sick of listening to me :)