Fly Fusion Forums

Looking Into A New 5 Weight

To date I have been using my 8 foot 4 weight for my dries on the river. Needless to say it isn't the best rig for what I'm looking to do.

I'm looking at getting a slow/medium action 5 weight to take over as my dedicated dry rod. It would likely be used exclusively for dries/droppers. Any suggestions?

All the older Sage RPL series (RPL, RPL+, RPLxi…though the latter is supposedly a saltwater rod) have a bit slower action than the more recent One and Method (though I understand they are fabulous rods in their own right) might just fit the bill for you. I have an RPL 4 piece 5 weight and love it for the type of fishing you are describing.

That said, there are so many great rods out there now it is hard to go wrong…..if you try a few first and see what feels good in your hands. Lots of people are raving about the Loomis NRX's, which also come in an LP (light presentation) model.

Good luck finding "the one".

• Like 1

My go to Dry fly rod for the Bow is a TFO BVK 8'6" 5wt.

I absolutely love it. Have it paired with an Orvis Access reel and a Rio gold fly line. Casts wonderfully. Handles both the tiny sz 20 midges and the giant foam hoppers/bitches with ease.

Faster action, but light as a feather.

I recently picked up th3 echo boost 5 wt. Have only fished with it twice this year but love it so far. Got it paired with a hardy ultra lite and the scientific anglers textured fly line. I picked mind up from josh and his new shop formerly Westwinds.

I've been doing a bit of pricing out to see where I can get the best value possible (I'm on a bit of a budget). It's faster than I'd like, but I'm looking at the St. Croix Imperial and an Orvis Battenkill from Wholesale. Once I pick up the Trout LT line I should be able to walk out of the store with it all for under $500.

Bought an Orvis Recon 5wt 9' rod......its absolutely brilliant. Worth a cast and a look. Great that it has a bit of backbone for casting on the often breezey/windy Bow and nimble enough for the mountain streams.

• Like 1

Bamboo is a bit out of your price range, however I would suggest that you try out some glass rods if you are looking for something slow that's good for delicate dry fly work. You will have to slow down your stroke, but you might really like it.

I know that fish tales have butter sticks and echo glass. Orvis also recently put out a new glass rod, but I don't know if country pleasures stocks it.

Best of luck in your search, however ensure that you cast the rod before you buy. Shops are more than happy to let you try them. It's also a good idea to bring your current reel to see how the rods balances.

Hardly any of the rods here aren't good bets. I think a lot depends on the water you are fishing. On smaller waters I like shorter bamboo or Fiberglass. on bigger waters especially if there is more wind a faster longer fly rod is really nice for punching through. Try before you buy is always a good thing. I will usually bring my own reel and line but chat with the shop beforehand to make arrangements. Some of the shops at one time had casting days, where you could try a variety of rods.

• Like 1

Fiberglass if you're lookin' for a slow to medium rod, not fussy care wise nor as expensive as cane and a helluva a lot more durable then graphite. Check out the Fiberglass Flyrodders forum and the fiberglass manifesto blogspot

• Like 1

I've got a new 8'6" Kenney e-glass 6wt that will lay out 70'- 80' of line with 2 false casts and I just this morning ordered a Steffen Brothers 8'6" 5/6wt s-glass blank. S-glass is lighter in weight and quicker than e-glass. My graphite rods are slowly working their way to the back of the storage pile