Fly Fusion Forums

Tippet Rings

O picked some up 2 weeks ago and have used them twice since then. I am really liking them. I like them for 3 main reasons. First It greatly increases the life of your leader. Instead of retying new tippet directly to your leader, you can do it to the rings. Second, if you get a snag and brake off, you only loose a bit of tippet and a fly, not your whole leader. And last, it gives a convenient spot to put your split shots. All in all i am a bug fan of them and am going to be using them for a long time.

I been wanting to try these for a while but so resistant to change. I really think they sound great in practice though. I think I'd be a lot less stressed about snagging if I knew I wasn't losing 2 blood knots of tippet! I'm not sure what the line strength retention is on a blood knot but all I know is I'm most likely losing my 3x and 4x sections on my leader when I snag! I'd be pretty confident that with 2 identical knots that the breaking point would be the weaker line.

I'm skeptic trying out some dries on it. Sure it doesn't break water tension is a bowl of water but, put some current and will see how it floats. Still if I could switch between nymphs to dries with out a bunch a line f*ckery that's a win!

One thought though is...I don't think you'll be sliding indicators over top of these so I'd be switching to thingamabobs too...I don't enjoy thingamabobs,,,

I'm skeptic trying out some dries on it. Sure it doesn't break water tension is a bowl of water but, put some current and will see how it floats. Still if I could switch between nymphs to dries with out a bunch a line f*ckery that's a win!

One thought though is...I don't think you'll be sliding indicators over top of these so I'd be switching to thingamabobs too...I don't enjoy thingamabobs,,,

Never had a problem with dries down to #18 in tandem flies (where I use them, never for singles).

• 1 month later...

I just got them and I was wondering how to do up a nymph rig with them.....I don't nymph much.

I don't nymph much neither,but I've used them swinging tandem wet rigs,or a bugger and wet etc.?

I just tie the ring to end of leader/tippet as per usual,then about 2' of tippet to the (heavier)point fly,and 6" of tippet to the dropper.I use perfection loops to attach the flies to the ring,and snug them up real tight on the ring at 90degrees to each other.