Fly Fusion Forums

Fly Fishing Hacks...?

RunnyD

Bead organizers for fly tying stuff and flies. Found at micheals and the like. Couldn't be more perfect for hooks, beads, flys etc.

I love this thread. I'm cheap and a minor hoarder so nothing is more satisfying than repurposing. I've got lots more, just need to think about it a bit.

• Like 1

Tie your own leaders. Chip in with some of your fishin buds and purchase some fluor in different sizes. Make tons of leaders and save $$. There are lots of recipes online, from czech set up to standard... find out what works for you and make your own custom leaders.

pline.jpg

• Like 3

I've been too busy buying bonafide overpriced fly fishing gizmos this past 6 months to get to the hack stage. I'm sure that will come, as I love a good hack. Can't wait to find some time to build my tonneau cover rod holder.

• Like 1

Glad I'm not the only one shopping at Michaels,haha.....some tying materials plus storage drawer cabinet from there....and custom tie all of my own tapered Maxima leaders as well,anything from 4-18' long,trout to salmon,35 lb butts down to 8lb tippet,20-4 etc,superior IMHO to any factory tapers and all for under a buck each.

Also,I'm a bit of an amateur hack at splicing/welding custom Spey lines and home brewed MOW tips.

I carry an empty exact knife at times. Put the hook of the fly where the blade goes and tighten it . Nice as a third had while you tie a leader on to the eye or are otherwise engaged so you don't drop the fly (put the handle in a pocket). In a pinch it makes a nice stream-side vice.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can't take credit for this one, Don A or Lornce offered it up to me (sorry, don't remember which, but tks either way).

Use a guitar string (smallest) to make a bobbin threader. For my part, I added a loop and dipped it in "liquid electrical tape" several times for a handle. The liquid tape is handy for lots of things. Princess Auto carries it.

5335cc82-8a82-4818-82ee-ffb8250984ea_zps

• Like 3

I haven't actually tried this, but I'm wondering if it would work. My wife likes to craft stuff and she said she saw a tip for sharpening scissors by cutting really fine grit sandpaper. I've been meaning to try it with an older pair of tying scissors, and if it works, I'd also like to see if it also works on nippers since I hate buying new ones and end up gnawing off my tag ends (with the nippers or my teeth) instead of cutting them clean. If someone else beats me to it, please post your results!!