Fly Fusion Forums

Fly Rod Holder For Truck Bed

RunnyD

Does anybody know if they make a fly rod holder for a truck bed?

I know they make mounts for the hood and roof of your vehicle which would work I guess, but do they make something specific for the back of pickup? They're also pretty pricey. I thought about hacking something together with magnets and pvc tubes.

Thoughts?

... and go...

Guest bigdirty

Not sure your intentions, but when Im hole hopping using the truck I hang my rod from the rear view and stick the tip out the back window. secure the rod at the window and it works great.

I met a fellow in Montana who built his out of PVC tubes, military ammo boxes, & ordinary roof racks. The tubes were bolted down on the roof rack on the roof & he attached the rear rack to rack like a ladder rack in the box of the pickup. The ammo boxes were then used on the reel end of the rods which he could lock with a padlock. I use to have a picture of because I was going to build the same setup, but I because I sliding window & a cap on my truck I went with a Rod Loft which would let me haul 6 strung up rods, but the most I have done is 4. Works nice because the truck is all blacked out & no one knows they are even there.

Are you looking to build something for high speeds on Deerfoot (110kph) or rambling down the Forestry Trunk Rd(50 KPH)....big difference.

50KPH on the FTR?? Christ that don't happen much...hope like hell at least you'll get a picture.

My intentions are to keep the rod fully intact when jumping from hole to hole down the ftr @ 50kmh. I don't have a rear window but I do have a tonneau cover. If the tonneau cover was metal I'd do this...

Some good suggestions, but I'm gonna get crafty I think.

Taco.....I was referring to myself. The 14" wheels and a '93 Mazda truck can't do much more than that!!

But back to carrying rods....when I hole hop I have a magnetic rod holder that I purchased from Cabela's that I attach on the truck just above the windshield and then slide the reel under my wiper and placing the rod in the holder. I have customized the holder by adding a strap which holds the rods in their groove in the magnetic holder securely.

It may be risky.... but so far no problems. I only use it going to and from my campsite to the fishing spots.

If I could copy and paste links on here I would show you the holder.

• 3 weeks later...