Fly Fusion Forums

Fly Reel Not Seating Well With Rod (Wiggling After Tightening)

Hi guys,

Just got a new 8 wt rod for a trip coming up. When I put the reel on the rod and tightened things up, I noticed that the reel still has some side to side wiggle - It seems the slot at the top of the handle is a bit wider than the reel connecting metal. Any solutions or familiarity with such an issue? Not exactly sure how to proceed so any advice would be much appreciated. I tried re-insering several times so I'm thinking this is a mismatch rather than a break in type issue? The reel is a Lamson Konic II 4 and the rod is a Greys GS. The Greys is definitely on the starter end of the spectrum but I've had no problems with my other Greys so hope that's not the issue. Also of note, there is only one locking nut with the rod. That kind of surprised me but is likely beside the point as to why I have the wiggling going on. Kind of annoying though, not sure why that's where Greys decided to save a bit of money.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Matt

I had a similar problem on my St Croix 3wt. Ignored the issue until I was floating the Yak back in October. Then the reel seated completed detached itself from the rod. Luckily my buddy had duct tape on board so I could continue to fish. I sent the rod back to St Croix who fixed it for $20.

Stew

Thanks for the replies all and good to know, Taco. For some reason I assumed the wiggling would cause more movement in the nut thus causing it to start to unthread. In any event, I'm glad it's nothing too insurmountable given I leave Boxing Day. I'll be sure to post a report when I get back!

A permanent repair can be done with shim stock and epoxy.

Get some 0.005" brass from Princess Auto. Cut a piece of shim stock 50% wider that the reel foot. Shape to size, with a felt pen, mark cut line and trim to shape. Test fit BEFORE gluing. You may need two pieces.

Using 5 minute epoxy, glue down the shim.

Heat will remove the shim if needed.

Cut shim stock with scissors - not your fly tying ones and to save your marriage, not your wife's sewing scissors.

Works fine.

Don

• Like 1