Fly Fusion Forums

Its Boatman Season So Heres A Little Beauty!

BigFoamy

dead drift, strip, swing, this fly does it all, just sayin. you can leave the legs longer or angle them towards the head for a more natural look but it doesnt seem to matter. Even though this isnt tied using it, I really like Super Fine Dubbing for this pattern, you can get it really tight and slick looking. These bugs are not hairy or say "buggy" as some.

Nice fly Murray. I imagine the Police fish enjoyed it. Try some foam ones on the surface for more visual fun

Thanks Rob, I always intend on using a floating version but the sinking one works so well that I just stay with it. One day I'll use a floating setup.

Murray

Sorry guys, just got in from a day of playing with snow, trees and Grand Daughters. The fly is really simple to tie. Yes, there is a bead on it. The first ones I tied had a tungsten bead, they are expensive and they stop the fly from moving naturally in the currents so I changed to a glass bead and sinking line. I'd be happy to post a step by step but I only type with one finger, so maybe tomorrow. In my opinion, two things make this fly so effective. The midge flex shell back in Summer Duck colour, and the poxy over top of the midge flex.

I tie them in size 12, 14 and 16. All three sizes work well.

Ok guys, here is a step by step that I had written the other day for Troutlover.

I used a sinking line but a floating line should work just as well. Give it a try, what the heck, if it doesn't work for you you're just out a little bit of peacock herl.

Ok, let's try this.

Size 12 or 14 or 16 nymph hook

Black or orange glass bead

Two strands of pearl crystal flash or similar for the tail extending rearward about the hook gape width

Next, tie on 1/8 inch midge flex, Summer Duck colour works best. This is the shell back to be stretched forward over the body material later.

Tie in four strands of peacock herl at the shell back tie in point, wrap the herl around the tieing thread and wrap the herl forward to the bead head. Tie off the herl and remove the excess.

Tie in black biot legs on each side, extending back to the end of the tail.

Pull the midge flex forward and tie off and trim.

The last step is to apply a small bead of Clear Cure Goo. Over the shell back and thread wraps. Activate the clear cure goo with a UV light.

Murray

• Like 1

Thanks Rob, I always intend on using a floating version but the sinking one works so well that I just stay with it. One day I'll use a floating setup.Murray

Murray, try fishing a floating one a few feet behind a bead headed one. About as much fun as you can have with the jig action.

It's an easy tie but I can't claim the pattern, the original pattern was from a book I bought at Country Pleasures. I think it was called flys of Souther Alberta and South Eastern BC by Neil Jennings. The pattern was by a fellow that used to work there. His name was Darren. Over the years a couple of changes resulted in the fly I posted. I like it because I think it looks like a bug. The fish are the ultimate Judges though.

Murray

The fly did make it in the picture, its laying in the sand, in the water under the fish :) I just noticed that while showing someone these pics lol!! was thinking at the time, "darn, i didn't get the fly in that pic" green bead and wings! Now that I see it I dont know how I ever didn't!