Fly Fusion Forums

2014 8Wt Reel Shootout

As always, find these really funny. The winner is one that leads by 1 point, but there is a ton of subjective topics. Best sounding drag, best reel case (since when does THAT matter?!), reel handle, etc.

Not sure how reel handle design, 'fun to fish' is considered 'performance'. Then again, impressed that they put the Loop so far down considering they're a dealer

Also funny that Canada doesn't compare to the USA under where manufactured...

I doubt if there is a reel on that list that isn't great.

While that may be true,there really isn't a reel on that list that piques my interest,with the possible exception being the Islander?And that's only because 1)The LX 3.8 was on my wish list for a long time,and 2) It's CDN.

Even so,I'd take a Marquis Salmon#1 over any one of them......drag is way overated.

re:bcube's comments....I'd say case design is in fact a legit category,and tend to agree with their findings in that I really like the practicality of my Abel's case...the wrap around reel seat design is very handy.

Fun to fish....of course a reel must be fun to fish,why else are we out there if not for fun?It's not like anybody on this forum is starving and fishing for food.

How do you decide something is fun to fish when compared to others? I can't stand a hardys loud clicker, but others can't get enough. We'd have very different ratings on that kind of stuff

Haha,to each their own I spose?You can't stand it....personally speaking,the sound of a screaming Hardy with a leaping Atlantic on a hellbent run is "THE" soundtrack of flyfishing!

....music to my ears. :)

True, love the click n pawl and the sound it makes for salmon, trout and steelhead. However this is an 8 wt reel shootout and the guys at Yellowstone are probably thinking more about bonefish, permit and tarpon, where palming the spool is less of an option!

One of the best everglades guides specializing in laid up tarpon, Capt. Jeff Legutki, will grab your rod and turn up the drag to a point where you can hardly pull line off of it. A large poon will still be able to rip line off at will. If you want to argue with someone who has 20 years of experience and is very productive, go ahead.

Yes wether they are 3 wt or 12 wt they are designed to be palmed. Palming a rainbow or a 5 lbs bone, sure. However palming a reel when you're hooked up to 80 pounds of red hot tarpon is a great way to break that fish off.

• Like 2

Kevbine the guide I used in Florida was of the same mind when it came to drag he had it so tight I was worried that if I hooked up the fish was going to pull me out of the boat and they are chasing 140lb 6foot Tarpon there. I never did hook up but saw hundreds of Tarpon and a daisy chain the size of a foot ball field with hundreds of tarpon it was pretty amazing the fish just weren't in the mood.

Was in the Keys end of April, we had a couple 100lb range fish to the boat the first day (with 8-12ft 50lb fluoro leaders depending on vis) and the guide's first comment on every fish we hooked was "tighten your drag" for the initial run. As in buried tight.. Also hooked a few Xmas Island GT's a few years ago, and although I could barely strip line off by hand with the drag buried, a decent GT could get it to full thottle in milliseconds and keep it there for what I'm sure was minutes (and took about 20 to reel it all up when I finally got broke off) When you're rigged heavy anyway I wouldn't go any less.

Love the Keys! Hey what guides were you using and what area did you fish? I rented a sketchy flats skiff last year in Islamorada, it was super fun poling it while my girlfriend Deb was at the bow. First day the wind was howling but we came across 40 plus tarpon but never really got a good shot at them. Day two we didn't see a fish for hours until one was coming straight at us, Deb put the fly in the zone, the poon inhaled it, turned and headed for the horizon. She had it on for about five minutes before it broke off and left her shaking with adrenaline… My only shot came with a laid up fish, 80 foot cast in the wind, dropped the fly right on its nose (after quite a few tries), fish turned and followed almost all the way to the boat, and then spooked. Time slows downs and you can hear your heart pounding. Turns out the fly was fouled up. Check your fly regularly, be ready at all times, know your drag, and hire a guide if you can afford it!

Islamorada area. Guide named Jeremy. Solid dude, good boat, had him 5 days. Put us on fish every day. Conditions varied but were good overall, lots of shots, lots of fish spotted. Saw some real slabs. They are definitely more selective than the ones I've encountered in Cuba, smaller flies (2/0 generally) and better presentations definitely required. Definitely keep your flies checked, I had a similar situation with a good cast and presentation, a strong initial follow, then saw my fly was fouled. Pretty tough to not get rattled when you have a wad of good fish heading right for you for sure...