Fly Fusion Forums

mickeymitchell

How much $ do you want to spend? For your application you must consider a quality reel (don't cheap out), but it must balance your rod nicely, as well. Take your rod to a couple shops and cast some reels loaded up. If you have a limited budget, you can always look at a preowned reel ( after doing some research).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Anyone use the reddington rise reels? Any issues? Made an impulse buy the other day and not much out there for info regrding them. $200 was more than I wanted to spend but got sucked in with the lifetime warranty. Was going to get the president reel but not a ton of backing can go o these, maybe 30 yds the specs say. I overline my rod with a 7 weight line so I wouldn't get hardly any backing on that reel. Thanks for your replies

Get a Lamson Konics or Guru... Same drags as their $500-600 dollar reels

I'll 2nd that,have a Konic 2.0 on its 3rd 5wt rod over 5yrs of hard use and it works good as new.

Think I paid $110-120ish for it new 6 years ago this May?

Fwiw,it's also been punished by several Atlantic salmon when I broke the handle off an old Hardy few years ago,including a scorching 20lb bright hen that damn near spooled that lil reel 3x before being subdued,so I'm perty sure it'll handle any trout that swims in AB. ;)