Fly Fusion Forums

Ever Won One Of Those Draws?

Well, I won a grand prize $1000 shimano gift card from WFN at the fly expo - almost fell off my chair when they called me!

Being a solid fly fisher, I'm faced with apparel and conventional gear to purchase as it only applies to the shimano brand it seems.

What goodies would you buy? I'm not overly intersted in salt water fishing yet, however could venture near the coast to fish for salmon in the rivers.

Fishinlivn,

Got one once for an Orvis rod. Don't really need anymore rods. The stable at that point was over 50 so Orvis allowed me to purchase $1,000 of goods from their catalogue.

Took days to figure our what I needed. Good fun.

Shimano builds quality spin reels. Got some and they work very well.

Enjoy the experience,

Don

• Like 1

Fish...

I make bamboo rods and occasionally collect some.

I've cut the stable down to more workable 30 or so. Am adding two this year. Both 8' - both will have two tips. One rod will be a 2 & 3 tipper whereas the other will be a 1 & 2 tipper. Now to find a one weight line - preferably used.

Regards,

Don

• Like 1

Thanks for the input guys.

I like the idea of purchasing a couple spin/bait setups for friends who do no fly, in case I try to introduce a friend to the addiction!

Apparrel is always nice though,, I must agree!

It is limited, http://fish.shimano.com/ products listed on this site only.

I'm such a noob to the steel chuckin', more so than the fly. I have one shimano rod, the clarus med-hvy for pike action and medium rainbows, but thats all! hmmmm....

They make absolutely the best open face bait casting reels on the market. I have a couple of Shimano reels that are over 15 years old that cast like they are brand new. Drag is even better than the casting, if that is possible. Change the bearings once every few years and done. Now, $1000 will only buy a couple of them, but they are absolutely the best. I would be like a kid in a candy store with a $1000 shimano certificate. Would not waste a penny on a rod (or a spinning reel for that matter, though I know they are good too) or apparel. I don't imagine they will let you buy loomis, though if they did, that's the only thing that would get my attention other than the reels.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been lucky at draws over the years. Won a leather recliner and ottoman, dress watch, Stamps season tickets for a year, a trip for 2 to Carribean, sp?, espresso cappacino machine, and $8600. in a 50/50 draw. I bought my first fly gear with the latter amongst other things. As silvers 86 said, you don't win if you don't enter. Let us know what you decide to spend it on. Paul

I have been lucky at draws over the years. Won a leather recliner and ottoman, dress watch, Stamps season tickets for a year, a trip for 2 to Carribean, sp?, espresso cappacino machine, and $8600. in a 50/50 draw. I bought my first fly gear with the latter amongst other things. As silvers 86 said, you don't win if you don't enter. Let us know what you decide to spend it on. Paul

Hey fishinglivin, so you're like the polar opposite to me.

I am completely unlucky.

At the pub they have a game called Toss the boss.

50/50 coin toss, call it right and the round of drinks is free.

10 rounds of drinks, I lost 9 out of 10 consecutive calls.

Who looses 9 out of 10 times with 50/50 odds.

Hey fishinglivin, so you're like the polar opposite to me.

I am completely unlucky.

At the pub they have a game called Toss the boss.

50/50 coin toss, call it right and the round of drinks is free.

10 rounds of drinks, I lost 9 out of 10 consecutive calls.

Who looses 9 out of 10 times with 50/50 odds.

LOL!!! you have my kind of luck brother!!! That said ive won 2 50/50 draws at kids hockey games :) over a period of the last 10 years :( thats 2 out of about a million, not even a blip lol!! My wife just won 500 on the radio!!! wait a minute, I was supposed to get 100 of that for helping by text :(

• Like 1