Sign in to follow this  
fishpro

Spey Rod For The Bow

What weight rod is everyone using for swinging streamers on the Bow? I'm thinking of getting a lighter spey for trout fishing.

Do switch rods count? If so, Beulah Switch 5/6

Do switch rods count? If so, Beulah Switch 5/6

Sure! I'm just trying to see what weights most people use.

I like to use a 6/7 and or 7/8 that will toss big nasties...My 6/7 throws a 22.5' 525 grain with medium MOW tips and covers most of my big bugs... However when I'm into tossing dead chickens I'll use the 7/8 with a 25.5' 575 grain with heavy MOW's

i like and use a 11 ft Meiser in a 3 / 4 wt , or 300 to 450 grain , don't need a big stick for these trout

• Like 2

11foot 5wt Z Axis with a Rio AFS 4/5 or Airflow Skagit 325. Slickshooter 35 for running line.

I only have a Sage XP 9'6 6wt and I will occasionally put two #8 streamers on and throw them out. Not the prettiest casting but it works.

These fish aren't steelhead- 7/8 weight is waaayyy overkill for the poor trout in the Bow. Silver Doctors 4/5 weight Meiser sounds like just the ticket.

i like and use a 11 ft Meiser in a 3 / 4 wt , or 300 to 450 grain , don't need a big stick for these trout

exactly!

These fish aren't steelhead- 7/8 weight is waaayyy overkill for the poor trout in the Bow. Silver Doctors 4/5 weight Meiser sounds like just the ticket.

Agreed.

I'm using a 6/7 Beulah but it's the only DH I own.Great for huckn Dungeons,dumbells,coneheads and stuff halfway across the river,but its overkill for any trout that swims the Bow IMHO.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info everyone!! I ended up getting a killer deal on a 12'6" 6wt Z Axis. Might be at the heavy end of what's needed, but should be good for getting some big streamer rigs out there.

Thanks for the info everyone!! I ended up getting a killer deal on a 12'6" 6wt Z Axis. Might be at the heavy end of what's needed, but should be good for getting some big streamer rigs out there.

Your new Z-axis will be fine, now the fun begins. Enjoy.

• Like 1

I really like using my gass 6120 in the winter time on the bow

I LOVE my Meiser 5/6. Dutchie recommended I look at the the Bow River special 12'6" and I am and was NOT disapointed. Now for a few lessons more from Toolman and maybe hire Dutchie for a day learning as well, I will be in good order!

Tight lines

Ralph aka Cgyguy

For what it's worth, I only fished the bow once with a DH stick since I live on the other side of the pond but I used an Echo Dec Hogan #5 and it seemed to do the trick allright....

Ya don't need much more than a 5/6 weight hell I have used my 5 weight for coho on the coast

Although I have never fished the Bow river yet, I would bring my Beulah Platinum Spey 5wt 11'7" with 300 scandi and 300 rage compact with 10ft of versi leaders for it.

Although I have never fished the Bow river yet, I would bring my Beulah Platinum Spey 5wt 11'7" with 300 scandi and 300 rage compact with 10ft of versi leaders for it.

I have the exact same setup and it's my #1 go-to for the Bow...swingn soft hackles. ;)

Love swinging those soft hackles.

• Like 2

I have the exact same setup and it's my #1 go-to for the Bow...swingn soft hackles. ;)

Love swinging those soft hackles.

I guess I have another person to learn from.