Fly Fusion Forums

Fishing After The Flood Your Predictions

I think we need to be prepared for the worst. Sure, the fish have evolved thru floods but this was one heck of a catastrophic event. I'd wager that the Bow and many other east slope streams had unprecedented mortality. It's going to take several years for many of the rivers to regain sinuosity and fish habitat and the fish to increase to normal levels. Additionally, the possibility of the increased frequency of these events is terrifying. It's tough for a river to continually get hammered by such events and what does this do to spawning habitat....Another issue is the increased pressure on the systems that did not get thumped (i.e. where will all the Bow River anglers relocate to and can these smaller systems handle this pressure?........I know this is a lot of doom and gloom but I think these are things that need to be considered. I'm very curious to see what happens because I think there's going to be some tough times ahead for fish and anglers. I hope I'm wrong.......

• Like 1

Lots of reports of very healthy fish getting caught on the Bow, with no lack of fish.

If anything, this will add spawning territory. The amount of gravel that has been rearranged is insane...

We'll be fine, once we get out there.

Ya, I think it is all toast. Might as well pack up the stuff.

Or better yet you should sell all your stuff,

Ya, thats it. Everybody sell.

Bargain basement prices.

I will even take some of it off your hands.

i was out last night lots of new back channels and clean rocky river bottom to fish and there were fish rising everywhere. There was also GOBS of stonefly shucks and many skittering across the water . The fish are tired not much fight i caught 1 and decided to leave them alone and went on a loooooong walk. Shes going to recover just fine.

Wow. I stated my opinion and try to get people to think from a different perspective and I get some smart ass comments including one from an admin.I guarantee if I replied like that to an admin it wouldn't go over well for me. SJW, do you think belittling me promotes a healthy discussion? I don't.

Wow. I stated my opinion and try to get people to think from a different perspective and I get some smart ass comments including one from an admin.I guarantee if I replied like that to an admin it wouldn't go over well for me. SJW, do you think belittling me promotes a healthy discussion? I don't.

Sarcasm is lost on you apparently.

Although all sarcasm aside. You are going a little far in saying "all is lost" The rivers will survive and the rivers that are still in decent shape wont see much more pressure.If you only fished the bow or other such river, you will either stop fishing it or do it regardless of the state. Ive been out to many other rivers and havent noticed much increase, except for campground availability. It seems people just cant except that this happens every so often and the river survives, this isnt the first and wont be the last.

In 1980 both the South and North Forks of the Toutle River were destroyed by Mount St Helens. At the time, both fisheries people and fisherman saw the devastation and said that the rivers would not recover in their lifetimes.

Based on what the pictures and newreel footage showed, no one disputed this.

Yet, the South Fork did recover within a few years, and the North Fork (later) as well. Spirit Lake did too, as early as 1983 there was life in the lake.

Not to pre 1980 levels, but the fish did come back to the streams.

Hard work by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to control silt and water levels helped, as did the efforts of wildlife groups and other state angencies working hard along side.

Anyway, our river is hurt, but it will recover too. Some may be surprised how fast.

Nature finds a way.....

• Like 1

Sarcasm is lost on you apparently. Although all sarcasm aside. You are going a little far in saying "all is lost" The rivers will survive and the rivers that are still in decent shape wont see much more pressure.If you only fished the bow or other such river, you will either stop fishing it or do it regardless of the state. Ive been out to many other rivers and havent noticed much increase, except for campground availability. It seems people just cant except that this happens every so often and the river survives, this isnt the first and wont be the last.

Sarcasm isn't lost on me it just wasn't appreciated. If you bothered to read my post Sean84 you'd see that I did not say "all is lost". So the reality is that YOU are the one going far is saying something I never stated. What I did state is some concerns that were mocked. For example I stated the the Bow and other East Slope streams likely had unprecedented mortality. I believe this for many reasons. Here's two: 1. the volume of water during the flooding was massive and many fish moved to slower water for refuge. Countless numbers of these fish then became stranded in small pools, the temperatures increased greatly during the time they were stranded, the water warmed, the fish respired and remaining oxygen was quickly consumed leading to a large die off 2. The bed load movement and sedimentation annihilated and suffocated countless YOY fish...........And no this isn't the first and won't be the last flood but what is concerning is the increased frequency that these events are occurring. This is why I wonder these things. A river can and will recover from an isolated event but repeated events may results in a gradual or quick deterioration of what we take for granted.

Sarcasm isn't lost on me it just wasn't appreciated. If you bothered to read my post Sean84 you'd see that I did not say "all is lost". So the reality is that YOU are the one going far is saying something I never stated. What I did state is some concerns that were mocked. For example I stated the the Bow and other East Slope streams likely had unprecedented mortality. I believe this for many reasons. Here's two: 1. the volume of water during the flooding was massive and many fish moved to slower water for refuge. Countless numbers of these fish then became stranded in small pools, the temperatures increased greatly during the time they were stranded, the water warmed, the fish respired and remaining oxygen was quickly consumed leading to a large die off 2. The bed load movement and sedimentation annihilated and suffocated countless YOY fish...........And no this isn't the first and won't be the last flood but what is concerning is the increased frequency that these events are occurring. This is why I wonder these things. A river can and will recover from an isolated event but repeated events may results in a gradual or quick deterioration of what we take for granted.

You are entitled to your opinion, I have had first hand experiance over the last week with many of the popular streams and rivers from banff down to crow along the trunk road and a little farther east minus the closed section. And they have been fishing pretty well some, really well towards the head waters. I have yet to try sheep and highwood. Sheep will be this weekend and im not sure if ill get to the highwood towards the head since the road is out.But untill you try you will never know.

I spent two days on smaller streams last week in southern Alberta. Fishing was pretty good with fat healthy fish caught. My friends had similar luck.

this makes me happy on my face.

• Like 1

Keep in mind the south did not get it as bad as the Highwood/Sheep/Bow drainage, but we are recovering pretty good. The major floods in my own opinion actually help the rivers & fish. They need a good cleaning every once in a while. Let's hope this helps the poor browns get over that disease. I've seen 3 major flood events in my lifetime of fishing and after each one the fishing got significantly better than it was before the floods, in the two to five year period after. Let's see what happens! I think the future is bright myself!

So took a drive today. The launch at 22x has one lane open can easily get a boat in there. Police mans flats is a write off this year unless someone nice does it for free. Mac the gate was open today and people. Pulling boats out which was a good sign. One guy said fishing was ok river is changed a lot. So it sounds encouraging at the least.

So took a drive today. The launch at 22x has one lane open can easily get a boat in there. Police mans flats is a write off this year unless someone nice does it for free. Mac the gate was open today and people. Pulling boats out which was a good sign. One guy said fishing was ok river is changed a lot. So it sounds encouraging at the least.

Police is fine, there is a usable launch there now.... i used it Friday night

I wouldn't consider that a really safe launch at police. Surpsied they haven't blocked the road off cause its so washed out.

No offense, but that statement is ridiculous. Have you even been there? A bobcat rebuilt the road and made a new launch, The only way this launch would be unsafe is if you drove in blindfolded.

• Like 2

Was at Police Sunday morning at 730. The launch is functional and safe.

Saw a couple rigs parked by the road w/empty trailers at that time. It was good to see them there!

We walked and waded (tight tight to that bank whoa ninja style), saw new water and saw fish, many stone schucks, saw live stones too, no caddis.

Saw the shuttle people doing their thing at 1100 when we left, and that felt good too!