Fly Fusion Forums

Fishing After The Flood Your Predictions

Sorry if I am asking this too soon, but I just landed in town from Ontario for a wedding and I am curious if there is anything within a 3 hour drive that is fishable? Thanks.

From what I have read over the past few days yak pretty much all the rivers are out for a bit yet. There are some lake options you could go explore.

the boat launches should all be in tact so far soo good parking lots are demolished like some have posted but hopefully something will get organized to make some sort f effort to clear and somewhat rebuild them

as for fish rescue it has bin going on already! yesterday fish where saved at glenmore and some places today a group of us from fishtales Flyshop fellow guide Paul cristianson and others contact fishtales or trout unlimited te more the better!!! hopefully we can get more people on board I just kind out via Facebook and such... mass location hunting today while a small group does there best to fish out locations one by one... some gold courses and industrial places have already drained water and chucked the fish wherever......

Does anyone know the manufacturer / name of this interlocking paver at Police? Rooster do you know?

I ask because I'm a landscape architect and I've always thought this product would standup well in a floodway. Answer is solved. It's also permeable which means that it meets requirements for reduced stormwater runoff. Replacing the gravel between the pavers is inexpensive.

photo1_zps10b9560b.jpg

Magnan, if you haven't been down there yourself yet, The part of the grid that was the hardest hit should be showing by tomorrow or the day after. If it lasted that, super impressive...

On another note, went for a run through fish creek. Road and bridges all looked in good shape.

A buddy of mine went fishing downstream of the Bonnybrook treatment plant last night. Chucking big streamers and he snagged something really big. He says it gave a little then broke off. So he packed it in a went home cause of the skeeters.

The mosquito's are going to be awful! Lots of worry about the fish but they will pull through better than anyone figures, they always seem too. There are many mountain creeks with fish that deal with severe flooding just about every year, trout never cease to amaze me with the level of resilience they demonstrate. I think fish will be showing up in odd places all summer though (and for the next few years), lots of beaver dams will be gone, old log jams removed, and creeks that are usually tiny will have attracted migrant fish of all species. Though many of the young and old fish will be gone, there will be some bright spots for the future. Fish communities are way more resilient than human communities when it comes to floods. Though i must admit, Calgarians are about as resilient as anybody, way to pull together Calgary.

• Like 2

Magnan, if you haven't been down there yourself yet, The part of the grid that was the hardest hit should be showing by tomorrow or the day after. If it lasted that, super impressive...

Planning on checking it out soon. I'm keen to see what it looks like considering a lot of asphalt drifted away last week. Went past Pearce Estate Park tonite. It's scoured down to the cobble in the floodway.

post-4330-0-57420000-1372394410_thumb.jpg

recommended a friend Sneek down and check police with the lower flows due to the bridge train event( I'm out of town) looks like it started to wash out unfortunately ever worse the parking lot has several feet of gravel.. the burm did a good job protecting the bank road and start of the launch road but seems I have he'll turn the parking lot into a "high" ground from all te gravel build up! after the train cars hopefully get rescued I'm sure the river will rise back to what it was and more will be lost! looks like most of those bricks are sitting right next to the road! almost like the whole brick carpet flexes bends but eventually wiggles apart from the flows?? just guessing there!! if we had time it might be able to be put back together like lego!!

recommended a friend Sneek down and check police with the lower flows due to the bridge train event( I'm out of town) looks like it started to wash out unfortunately ever worse the parking lot has several feet of gravel.. the burm did a good job protecting the bank road and start of the launch road but seems I have he'll turn the parking lot into a "high" ground from all te gravel build up! after the train cars hopefully get rescued I'm sure the river will rise back to what it was and more will be lost! looks like most of those bricks are sitting right next to the road! almost like the whole brick carpet flexes bends but eventually wiggles apart from the flows?? just guessing there!! if we had time it might be able to be put back together like lego!!

A 1/3 of the road has dropped about 5 ft down , another half of it before the turn around launch & parking lot is still under water.

The gravel in the launch area is pretty deep. Right now the only hope for maybe getting a boat in is too slide it off the road drop into the bottom end of the lagoon.

would definetly work now but when te river drops to fish able levels and lower I don't think that will be a option! all depends on what kind of channel there is! hopefully something similar to glenmore I guess when the water is low.. that's about all we got I think not sure if they will ever rebuild and dig out all te gravel... time will tell.

glenmore a going to be crazy parking lots a awesome like others mentioned with carburn park bein a side channel I think lots of the flow will be on te far side. might be launching similar to mackinnon a on a gravel bar if we can get there

Here is what you see when you pull into Police man's flat as of this afternoon.

1003894_10151712963560729_325142841_n.jp

1014343_10151712963610729_379639459_n.jp1013536_10151712964250729_1064717587_n.j

1011379_10151712964230729_172688495_n.jp

These are the posts that ringed the parking lot, these are as you enter the turn around near the launch

1016194_10151712968300729_1688053944_n.j

more posts looking south

1005275_10151712968570729_1842538409_n.j

Turn around, the launch should be to the right of this picture\1010270_10151712968355729_1764810331_n.j

This is my best guess as to where the launch was

1017454_10151712968730729_1067388997_n.j

Looking upstream at the boulder wall that lined the parking lot

1005415_10151712968745729_1480535481_n.j

looking downstream at the boulder wall

21332_10151712971490729_10706387_n.jpg

Edge of the parking lot, inline with Tungsten's feet are the curbs

1045205_10151712970875729_997336910_n.jp

looking at the parking lot near the garbage can

942065_10151712971010729_74064790_n.jpg

Not sure if this has been mentioned,but Mallard Point is now Mallard Island,the back channel on the Canyon Meadows side of river now begins 100m above the pedestrian bridge,both approach ramps to the bridge are completely washed away,

Vagabond, that's the old channel that it's running through. We'll see if it last when the river gets to 200...

I think we'll also all be in a shock for what is waiting for us in the slow flat above Policemens Flats..drove by there yesterday, and by the way the water is stacking, it's apparent that there is now some sort of island or gravel bar forming in the middle of the (previously) slower slack water....going to be a very interesting river. I also have to say that there is pretty well no feasible way to launch a boat from a trailer at policemens, especially if it keeps dropping. You could maybe tow one through the dead water to the east of the former road, however there has been a berm of crap building up in that little slough that will take some serious effort to get around., and once the water drops any more that won't be feasible. The road at Police looks like it failed due to a poorly sized culvert not allowing enough flow through. The grid seemed to have lasted, however the water ate through the gravel underneath.

Not looking promising.

Does anyone know who actually owns the launch at Police?