Fly Fusion Forums

Fighting Butt On 5Wt Rod

what are your opinions on this. Im looking at buying a new rod and am torn on this.

Particularly im looking at the 9'6" 5wt winston bIIIx and the only ones i can find are with a fighting butt.

Honestly i don't see a need for this, i have a 6 wt with no fighting butt and another 4wt bIIIx with no butt and didn't notice a need

fighting butt is useless, should be removed from all fly rod to avoid confusion. it doesn't help you fight the fish.

I would have to disagree with that. The amount of presure you can put on a fish with a simple thumb looped over the fighting butt is amazing let alone having that fighting but dug into you gut.

apparently winston puts fighting butts on its bIIIx from 9'6" 5 wt and up. to get anythign without would have to be made custom for 80 bucks more and a 4 week wait. i just avoided the decision and wait all together and bought me the 9' 5 wt without :numbchuck:

I love having a fighting butt

I put them on all the rods I build i find that it saves your reel when you set your rod on end

ditto: This

I've had customers request them on rods as small as 3wts. Would it be better if we called the 'extension' butts instead of 'fighting' butts?

Colin

I have one on my 7wt and I didn't think I would like it but I never really noticed it. It's my heavy equipment the last few years and I can say after a long day in the drift boat hurling indicator rigs and big streamers and after a dozen or two ridiculously big trout it helps my limp wrist syndrome fighting fish, it help me maintain sufficient leverage by tucking it against my forearm.

• 2 weeks later...

Do most rods allow for an add on fighting butt if it came from the store without?

they are really easy to add on. Fishtales sells fighting but ya all you need is a busted rod piece that will fit in the bottom end. most reel seats u can hear up and remove the lower reelseat cap if not a hacksaw does just fine!! put a bunch on friends and other people's rods the last couple winters

• Like 1