Fly Fusion Forums

Larger Fly Boxes

bjbailey

Hey All,

I'm looking for a number of larger storage boxes to keep flies in the boat. I'm thinking full binder size or something like that. Anyone have a preferred brand/supplier for these?

Also - on a related note, anyone have a preferred box style for big hair wing patterns (hoppers, stimmies, etc.)? I hate it when my deer wings get flattened due to the box lid over time.

Thanks for your input.

Brandon

Bailey,

I recently was in the same boat as you, but boxes like Cliff's are priced so high it's insulting, it's a plastic box with foam made in China..... $70.00 HAHA. I headed to Micheal's bought one of their "scrapbooking page storage" and 5 sheets of 1/4 foam for $15. 25 minutes of my time, a little cutting foam and some contact cement and I have a massive fly box.... I'll try to put up pics tonight

• Like 1

Tfo has one not sure of the price or quality haven't seen it in person

http://templeforkoutfitters.ca/accessories/86-tfo-fly-boxes-clear

Wayne

Thanks for pointing this out Wayne. I'd seen other TFO ones in many of the shops but hadn't come across the new larger version on TFO's website. Anyone have any reviews of these? I can't say I usually buy TFO boxes...

Also - on a related note, anyone have a preferred box style for big hair wing patterns (hoppers, stimmies, etc.)? I hate it when my

deer wings get flattened due to the box lid over time.

Thanks for your input.

Brandon

I got tired of my flies getting wet and rusted so I started looking at watertight boxes.Of course if it's a watertight "flybox" it's wayyyy overpriced,but I found an alternative.Plano watertight camera/cellphone case I bought at Cambodian Tire for 10 bucks or so(?),then glued in some craft foam....voila.Plenty big(8x4x2??)to keep your larger flies from getting squished,watertight so they don't rust,floats if you drop it in river.....less than 15 bucks even if you buy actual flybox replacement foams at any flyshop to stick in it.Compared to watertight,brandname flyboxes,they are half the price and twice the size. ;)

What Jayad and Grinr need to do is meet at the closest craft store. Meet in the ruler aisle and find a mm ruler. Then find a small table and whip out there dicks and settle this little spat once and for all.

My only advice to Grinr on this one would be to refrain from wading balls deep at least three hours pryor to this meeting.

• Like 1

Also - on a related note, anyone have a preferred box style for big hair wing patterns (hoppers, stimmies, etc.)? I hate it when my deer wings get flattened due to the box lid over time.

I have a few old cigar boxes I lined with foam that have held up pretty good and keep flies from getting "flattened"

Ive got a cliffs and a MFC boat box , while sure there a little pricey so are flies so its a good investment. At the price of flies my boat boxes are worth just about the same as my boat lol.

For the investment you cant beat the MFC boxes. (Montana Fly Company)