Fly Fusion Forums

Good Article For The Bobber Fisherman

shaps21

although I have never fished a bobber and will never fish one, I can see both arguments but to call it the "evolution of the fly fisherman" No, my friend evolution is progress. I dont know the full history of the bobber but it has been around probably for a very, very, very long time and to start using a bobber on a fly line would be a step back in evolution or some kind of reverse evolution. The fly line was designed and is designed to cast the fly, when you attach a bobber you might as well be center pinning.

again to each their own

troll more plz. fly line was never designed to cast a wooly bugger, SJW, and etc. It was not designed to cast sink tips and mono tappered leaders. please don't use them.

although I have never fished a bobber and will never fish one, I can see both arguments but to call it the "evolution of the fly fisherman" No, my friend evolution is progress. I dont know the full history of the bobber but it has been around probably for a very, very, very long time and to start using a bobber on a fly line would be a step back in evolution or some kind of reverse evolution. The fly line was designed and is designed to cast the fly, when you attach a bobber you might as well be center pinning.

again to each their own

But I can say exactly the same thing about streamer fishing. The fly rod never was intended to cast big heavy things, and yet tossing a big ass weighted streamer seems (for reasons totally unclear to me) to be more acceptable than a light plastic bubble. We've even invented bigger, longer rods and super heavy lines to help us bomb those big heavy babies as far as possible. Hell, if you are going to be swinging heavy streamers you might as well be using a spin cast rig, you know, something designed for the job.

So if we are going to stick with a definition that since the fly line is designed to cast a fly, do we then say we are only fly fishing when we use small, unweighted flies, or streamers, or whatever? If so, then that's perfectly ok with me. I suppose we should also include the classic British method of that only targeting fish we can see. No blind casting!

Of course all that makes no sense. Fly fishing is whatever you want it to be, whether you are casting to that rising trout with a #22 BWO, swinging streamers for steelhead with a spey rod, or working a seam with a indi and a stone fly. Not all methods appeal to all people. Nor should they. As I've said above, call it what you want. I'll stick with fun, and be glad that I don't spend a speck of mental time worrying if my method is more pure than someone esle's, or even worse, getting my self esteem mixed up with my fishing methodology.

Now, if I could only learn to stay away from these rather pointless arguments......

• Like 1

I think the comments about the amount of 'bobber' flyfisherman is a bit skewed to be honest. Every year, In my many miles travelling western Canada and USA through various river systems, I will say that I don't find this to be necessarily true. More often than not, I see people dry fly fishing. Maybe its the areas and smaller rivers that I like to go to.

The bow is an easily accesible and good fishery in the heart of a large population. With any large river, most often nymphing is the most effective way to catch fish. For new comers, this presents an ideal situation to enter the sport. How many would continue fishing if they tried dry fly fishing every saturday during mid day? I know a lot of flyfisherman that begin at nymph fishing and progress to other methods. I don't buy that the majority like to stick to indie fishing.

How many people on the Elk pound the nymphs all day long?

The other comments about fish being spooked or move away from indicators, I've had fish steer away from a well drifted #20 BWO dry because it was feeding on emergers etc. I've also had fish destroy my bobber on the bow......Careful how we mention the effectiveness of this method. Pretty generalized comments.

In the end, I share the same thoughts as many on here. I don't get out as much as I used to. If that means fishing at 2pm on a Sunday and feel a need to fiight a fish in the middle of august, I'm going to do what I want and could care less about the guy in the fedora thinks.

• Like 2

In the end, I share the same thoughts as many on here. I don't get out as much as I used to. If that means fishing at 2pm on a Sunday and feel a need to fiight a fish in the middle of august, I'm going to do what I want and could care less about the guy in the fedora thinks.

Oh Oh I somtimes wear a Fedora.....

DSC00489.jpg

• Like 1

I was taught to fly fish fish in the early 60’s by Dad and my Grandpa using a floating or sinking line depending on the water depth and conditions. Back then there where no indicators and single fly was the rule. It really taught you to keep a tight line and stay in contact with the fly. You needed to develop a feel and a bit of a sixth sense. It still is indicator fishing as you are often watching your fly line tip. Times do change, and so do techniques. I find a lot of people I see on the water have a method of fishing that they are comfortable in catch fish and don’t stray a lot, and that’s great.

I occasionally use an indicator, especially in very deep water where a natural drift will not work. They make it easier to watch for strikes especially if you are unfamiliar with classic nymphing techniques, or some of the newer Czech or polish nymphing standards (that are no more than the classic techniques revisited). It’s a great way to get people into fly-fishing and gives you a nice visual focus. I find more sensitivity fishing without one gives me a more natural pretension, but it’s harder and does take practice to get the drift right, it’s not for the impatient.

As far as indicators go the thingamabobber is the nicest although the often overlooked humble yarn indicator is more sensitive especially for smaller streams, its more like fishing a huge dry fly. By the way I once stood on a bridge over the Bow river looking at several fly fishermen drifting nymphs under big indicators and watching the Trout swim aside as the indicator drifted over them. Food for thought, fish do learn.

I love to fish, whether is throwing a delicate dry fly with a classic bamboo rod, Lake fishing for rainbows with one for my modern sticks, swinging a big Intruder with my Spey rod or chasing Lake Trout and Pike with big streamers.

I am a purest, a pure fisherman.

• Like 1

Some folks like to go for walks/floats along/in the river. Some like to cast fly lines. Some like to actually fight some fish (some are glutinous pigs like Rick). Some like to catch certain fish, a certain way. There's lots of space for all these folks. Personally, I love the folks who are out walking and casting acting as fine stewards/conservationists.

• Like 2