Fly Fusion Forums

Barbed Hooks Now Legal

Jayhad

Before people start pointing fingers at others, try to remember one thing. We ALL kill fish in the pursuit of our passion. No matter how careful we are, sometimes fish will die as a direct result of us catching them. As we become more skilled in handling fish, we tend to kill proportionally less. But since with that increase in skill in handling fish comes from handling lots of fish, we are still killing some. So it is beyond hypocritical to hold someone or any group in contempt because you think their techniques might kill more than you do. Educate, point out different methods, whatever. But keep the contempt out of it. We are all fish killers.

Yes the odd fish might die. But as good fisherman we should all strive to minimize that. And one of the best ways is to minimize how much the fish is handled. Removing a barbless hook is a hell of alot quicker than barbed. NOT taking all the hero pics (listen to your wives and girlfriends - all fish pics look the same). Etc,Etc

I think we should all just cut the hooks off and count the number of pulls you get.....

Don't know if you are serious or not, but there are people certainly advocating that.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/695233521/Hookless-Fly-fishing-Angler-likes-fish-too-much-to-hurt-them.html?pg=all

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/11/07/sports/outdoors-hookless-fly-fishing-is-a-humane-advance.html

Not questioning that b3. If someone would have told me when I was younger that I would release all my fish, I would have laughed at them, so I don't really have any trouble believing that I would be satisfied hookless, in certain situations. And I have a passionate guy in my head. But if I chose to go hookless (or barbless, or pictureless) or whatever more humane technique might arise, I hope I don't start to look down my nose at those who don't slavishly follow my path.

Edit: I did not mean the above as an indictment on any particular person, honestly!

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

are "barbless barbed hooks" (the ones with a swiggle in the metal where the barb should be) legal under old rules? i have seen a few in different tying books but most are a bit older.

... just insane not even you Brian can deny that you have seen people struggle and mishandle fish with a crimped barb... is it about conservation or a extra $20 tip? even if my clients grumble about it next year I'm stickig with what's user friendly tote fish and most time effective when in the net

Good for you. I don't let clients unhook fish on their own on walk and wades, I simply trust myself to treat the fish quickest and fastest even with or without a barb, so I don't have that issue. They are in my net, after all, and unless the fish is a beast I usually unhook, give a quick glance to the client showing the colors or characteristics, and zip off she goes... I usually don't even lift them out of the water but for a brief 2 second glance. 99% of the drifts net the fish and haul those big rubber nets right up into the boat to unhook the fish, whats worse?

On that topic... I guess if you are in a boat and on the oars I can see your point, and sure I'd be barbless in a boat too, more for my own safety.. but yes if clients are the ones unhooking the fish, for sure, barbless all the way as it's better for the fish.

I dont know where the forum clowns have it in their heads that I have anything but the fishes best interests in mind. Anyone who has gone on a trip with me can vouch for my handling and care and passion about the fishes well being. I don't guide for tips, I guide to see enjoyment on peoples faces. Period. Matter of fact there are so many idiots out there guiding now that I have basically left the scene... tired of the way most of the fellows treat the river, their fellow fisherman and guides, and fish themselves.

The point I am making is that the same people struggling to unhook fish and dragging them up on banks and mistreating them now, probably didn't bother to crimp their barbs anyways. What is going to change? In fact, I would have to dig around but wasn't there a few studies that suggested barbless hooks actually caused MORE mortality due to multiple punctures during a battle instead of one?

Just some food for thought.

We can agree to disagree on an issue. So lets keep to the issue instead of personal attacks. There's nothing meaningful to be gained from back and forth sparing unrelated to the issue. If someone has misunderstood or misinterpreted something I've said I'll try my best to clarify my position. Respect for fellow anglers. It can only be good for fish.

• Like 1