Fly Fusion Forums

What Weight Is Your "all Around" Rod?

birchy

My Bow River rod is a 6 weight.. when I replace it next year with a TiCr X I was going to get another 6 weight, but after watching CDock land a 22" bully with a 2 weight yesterday I think my new Bow River rod will be a 5 weight.

What about you guys?

Guest bigbadbrent

TFO cr-x. 5 weight

been using my 4 as of late (the last 2 months since i broke my 5 weight and havent bothered getting it fixed..) kinda tough in the wind, but i loveee it (the oldest TFO model, casts like a 4 weight, fights fish like a 2 weight..its awesome)

Get a 5 weight man, honestly. A 5 weight just feels so much better then a 6....I love my Cr-x, it's a dream to fish with, and like glenbow said, makes big fish seem even bigger, but still has a lot of backbone to land the boys..guess i should go get it fixed haha

my next rod will be a 5 weight sage Z-axis once spring rolls around...

and, a 5 weight will be better suited for every stream in alberta, while a 6 weight has limited use on rivers like the wood or cataract

TFO 6 wt Deer Creek 12.5 ft. Two handed Spey rod. Have a number of rods between 5 and 9 wt. I would suggest a 6 wt for general dry and nymphing work and a 7 or 8 wt for big streamers and wets. A heavier weight longer rod makes a differance when throwing big flies and fighting big fish.

A tiny rod is great for small streams. Pick the rod that will handle the size of fly, rig and depth and depth you are fishing. I think too often a lot of people get drawn into too light a rod and casting often suffers. If for example you are trying to throw a multi big fly rig with weight and indicator you need the spine in the rod to handle it. Also large streamers with sinking line requires a rod that can handle the weight. A light rod is great for tossing dries to small trout. Pick the rod to handle your fishing method at the time.

We won't even talk about those 24" freight trains that you may hook into and need a decent rod spine to slow down or turn.

My Bow River rod is a 6 weight.. when I replace it next year with a TiCr X I was going to get another 6 weight, but after watching CDock land a 22" bully with a 2 weight yesterday I think my new Bow River rod will be a 5 weight.

What about you guys?

Remember Birchy that Bully was a bit beat up (marks on his head) and was a bit skinny for his length. He just kinda went along for the ride. PM me, I just thought of an offer you can't refuse. ;)

Mine USED TO be an Orvis 3 piece 6 weight. But it's been busted since last fall and I've discovered all that is beautiful about a 5 weight. I fished mostly with Mike's Sage this year and have to say the weight of it and the way it casts a 6 weight line has me hooked. I'm not in such a hurry to get that 6 weight fixed again, but will just in case I ever have the urge to learn how to fish streamers. IMHO, a 5 weight is just what you need for the Bow.

Along with others here, a 5 wt sage sp. Awesome all round. I have a 7 wt VPS for streamers and the recent discontinued 4 wt. XP for dries and down south. I keep telling myself I do not need another rod but we all know how that will turn out in a few years.

IMO get a 5 wt.

TFO "ti" series 5wt 4 piece

Not the spiffiest rod out there but works well for all around stream fishing and have landed a few 5 lb + "tame" rainbows with it. I find it is quite stiff and will throw out heavier flies reasonably well.

5wt tfo and a 6wt. luv the 5. great fun to fight with but it's nice to have the 6 when the wind is a blowin. But it's hardly ever windy here right? 5wt won't fit in my rod holder on the pontoon boat though, so i have to use the 6 when i float.