Fly Fusion Forums

Fishing Cars?

What is everyone using for fishing cars?

What are the pro and cons of the vehicle you use?

I am looking at selling or trading our 2002 Chev. Trailblazer that is fully loaded except leather for a smaller car that would be used for everything except towing my big boat.

Its looking like the price of fuel is only rising so maybe a motorcycle is the way to go.

I never had so much fun getting from one place to another as when I had a bike.

The wife won't let me have a bike.

I rode freestyle bmx for 13 years and she thinks I will die real quick on a bike.

I use whatever work truck that currently parked the the driveway but lately I've been thinkin' I need to build me a Sammi or maybe a FJ. A VW turbo diesel Samurai would 30-40 mpg and go damn near anywhere a side by side could.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

im in a Pathfinder for now but once im done school im going to a Legacy Wagon or a forister. Back to 4 bangers with these gass prices.

P.S. the Legacy wagon can take a boat NO PROB.

Mitsubishi Delica Spacegear L400 - look that up. Import 4x4 turbo diesel van. About 27mpg. We have one here & another in NZ. Great vehicles. Tons of room. Great availability of parts coming in from the coast, though in 2 years no mech issues.

For longer drives we have a VW Jetta Wagon. 50+mpg and you can haul everything you need in the back or tow.

:)

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

i would LOVE a delica, if you get the money the VW body kits are sweet! the assending koi tatoo shop was a sweet decal on theirs

Im using wifes old car, mazda protege. Was serviced properly since new, now has over 250000 and runs like a champ, if rust was not an issue I could run it for couple more years. Pathfinder for backup and boat tow.

I will never get over my VW jetta, 1984 GLI coupe, believe it or not i was 7th owner and had over 800000km on it. Fishing, navex rally, sprint racer, and poker runner, she did it all until some idiot made a u-turn in a one way street and attempted to run over my car. Hands down cheapest and easiest car to fix on your own. One time she shot a sparkplug by silvan lake, i ran her on three cylinders all the way to calgary. She is greatly missed to this day.

Well I am glad to hear that there are quite a few guys driving the subarus. We have been looking at sub's, protege's, and golfs so far and just weren't sure which to go with.

So far the wife is really liking the protege 5 wagons the most but the others aren't far behind. Whatever little car we decide to get will be getting a roof rack system installed and a hitch to tow my tinner or cedar strip row/drift boat that should be refinished by tomorrow night.

I know you guys are complaining about the gas prices and I do as well. But i'd like to see anything other than a real 4x4 travel in the country I have been roaming the last two weeks AND be able to pull a drifter....... out of the water.

There's a lot of cars out there that will pull a drift boat but not many that could pull them out of the water & up the ramp.

I drive a grand cherokee, big V8 gets 14ltr/100k. It will pull anything i own and will cut fresh tracks up the trunk road on april 1st, cost a bundle to fill it but i only use it on weekends for fishing.

I think i'm going to try building a wood gasifier

I have an 08 gmc sierra for those times when I need the 4x4 and power of a big truck. I can tow my 5th wheel and a boat behind it with the truck. I am just looking for options for a smaller rig to save money on gas and insurance when I don't need the big rig.

Hopefully I can get this trailblazer sold for a decent price and get into something smaller before the fishing trips start piling up. There is quite a few trips on my bucket list for this summer.

I know you guys are complaining about the gas prices and I do as well. But i'd like to see anything other than a real 4x4 travel in the country I have been roaming the last two weeks AND be able to pull a drifter....... out of the water.

x2 Those cars are going to have a tough time getting through the mud to the real backwood gems. I drive a ram 1500 6" lift and 35" mud tires. Gas is rough..but she takes me anywhere I need to go!

I have a Honda Fit. Awesome gas mileage (5.4L/100km) and I can haul my pontoon frame around in the car without disassembly. My wife and I both have fits, and will need to get trade one in for something bigger in a few years. However we both really like our cars and I am going to drive mine until it dies.