Fly Fusion Forums

What Two Different Weight Rods Would You Own?

splasher5

If you were to own two different weight rods what would they be? I bought a 7wt ( Bow) and 4wt ( Oldman, Livingston,Crow) Is this a good setup? I think the 7wt might be overkill. Should I drop to a 5/6wt?

Any advice would be great? My exp. level is intermediate.

Cheers

You will be fine with those choices. It does make it a little easier if you start with odd or even wt #'s. (eg ,4,6,8) or (3,5,7) to cover your bases.

I think a 5 wt would be a great "next" rod for you. Use your 7 on the bow when you want to fish streamers or you are fishing in windy conditions etc.

Use the 5 on the bow for your dry's. The 4 and 5 would fill your needs down south on the smaller water.Light weight rods with drys are a pleasure to cast with.

The best advice i could give is-

When someone offer's free advise that is actually what it's worth.

A 7 weight is good for streamers however for the Bow I prefer a 6 weight as an all around rod. If you put in long days having a little less weight is nice as well. As above a 5 weight is nice for dries on the bow or when the wind is high on the crow etc. I'm sure you are fine with what you have but it is always nice to have options.

If you were to own two different weight rods what would they be? I bought a 7wt ( Bow) and 4wt ( Oldman, Livingston,Crow) Is this a good setup? I think the 7wt might be overkill. Should I drop to a 5/6wt?

Any advice would be great? My exp. level is intermediate.

Cheers

This can only be determined by you, all the info above is good and correct but it gets down to where you will spend the majority of your time fishing and the techniques you plan to employ on these waters, otherwise using the proper tool for the job. If you rarely get on the Bow than a 7 is overkill unless you are target Bulls on the mountain streams whereas if you plan to fish in high water and bankpound streamers then its the right tool for the job. If you get the right 7wt you can even use it for bones in the tropics wind permiting. Hope this helps Tight lines!

This can only be determined by you, all the info above is good and correct but it gets down to where you will spend the majority of your time fishing and the techniques you plan to employ on these waters, otherwise using the proper tool for the job. If you rarely get on the Bow than a 7 is overkill unless you are target Bulls on the mountain streams whereas if you plan to fish in high water and bankpound streamers then its the right tool for the job. If you get the right 7wt you can even use it for bones in the tropics wind permiting. Hope this helps Tight lines!

Thanks for the info..I have never gone after Bull Trout.. Would love to but, dont know where to start.Where do guys go? I would mainly be fishing the south Bow with the 7wt (probably go down to a 6wt after reading most posts). I think the 6wt and 4wt would make better sense...Could you fish for bull trout with a 6wt?

I have but you better know how to play a fish properly or you risk snapping your rod or unnecessarily fatiguing the fish...

P

Thanks for the info..I have never gone after Bull Trout.. Would love to but, dont know where to start.Where do guys go? I would mainly be fishing the south Bow with the 7wt (probably go down to a 6wt after reading most posts). I think the 6wt and 4wt would make better sense...Could you fish for bull trout with a 6wt?

• 2 years later...