Which Party Will You Vote For?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Which Party Will You Vote For?

• PC
    • Wildrose
    • Liberal
    • NDP
    • Alberta Party

The poll reflects that geological location. Calgary and south has always believed that its is the only area capable of anointing the king. Anybody from somewhere else is just plain bad. So now Calgary is flummoxed. It's got 2 righters. What to do?

Smith is working hard spending big bucks. One has to wonder whose pockets all the money is coming from? Cons have a lot less signs. Mean much - maybe shows who is going.

What is obvious is that from Manning>present, fisheries resources in Alberta have suffered. One has to wonder how the right is going to right this problem.

Don

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clive:

Yeah, mandatory does offend some and for sure is controversial. But - if I may be melodramatic for moment - people have fought wars to protect our freedom and have died to preserve our right/duty/privilege to vote. You think people would consider it their duty - the least they could do. But I see what you're saying about forcing people to assume their duty; it is un-authentic at best and at worst does infringe on their rights to be lazy arses.

Yes, we are in complete agreement about the comments on the forum versus votes; it just doesn't jive, especially when I asked people to focus only on how the SRD and our wildlife would be treated. I don't think Wildrose is the answer at all.

Anyhoo, I have no problem stating publicly that I am voting Alberta Party; I know they are small, and my vote probably won't "count", but I have been impressed by their energy and earnestness in trying to listen to Albertan's and draw up sensible policies.

Smitty

First off, I must admit to not reading all of this. It got a little detailed for me, and I'm not eligible to vote any way (because I'm too much of a lazy arse to go get my citizenship). I will say I don't like it when people say they are making a protest vote. Unless you really, really don't see any difference in the choices, a protest vote has never made sense to me.

I was fortunate to be able to go to lunch last week with a client of mine who is from Romania, and lived there until about 10 years ago. We talked politics quite a bit, namely the difference between politics here and what she grew up with. After talking to her, I became more aware of how little the politics here really matter. I mean really, there is just not that much difference from one party to the next. My job is going to stay the same, my taxes won't change much, no matter who is in power, my life is going to remain pretty damn good. But in Romania when my friend was a kid (and there are still lots of examples of this today), politics MATTERED. Like food in the stores mattered. Like machine guns in the street mattered. Like life and death mattered.

There, one person in charge could make literally all the difference. Here? Well, it matters, but the system runs itself in a lot of ways. We aren't in danger of electing a dictatorial party (though my friend harps might think that Harper/Federal PCs are dictators!). In a lot of ways, the system runs itself.

I really don't have a point here. JIts just that lately I've seen a lot of very mean political discussions on stuff that does not seem to matter all that much (though this thread isn't an example of that-the disagreements have been debated with respect). But this thread made me think about my Romanian friend and I felt like spewing pointless rambling. I'll probably delete it later. (Note: Nothing here is directed at any particular poster above!!)

No Rickr! Please don't delete, lol. Seriously, you make an excellent point.

For the most part, you're absolutely correct, the system does run itself. Changes in a stable democracy are incremental. Yet change does happen, especially when it occurs at the leadership level.

As a US example, there is still kowtowing to Wall street, and all the rampant partisanship, yet, this president still managed to get universal health care passed for the first time in the country's history. And yep, looks like the Supreme Court is going to shoot it down (or at least some provisions).

Change is often frustratingly slow, and the changes - when they do come - by the time they filter down to the public level, many many people end up thinking "ya know, that really didn't impact my life on a day to day basis".

But it does, even just a little bit, sometimes we have trouble noticing. Seemingly, the changes are somewhat invisible. Take the relatively simple example of Edmonton finally getting out of the stone age and getting an LRT all the way down to the southside. That actually has impacted me; I can go to Eskimo, Oiler, Teacher's Convention, Sportsmen show, etc etc without having to pay for $12 parking at Northlands. Also, the arena debate; its gone on forever (like the airport debate), but decisions made by people we elected will have a direct impact on the future - good or bad - of downtown Edmonton.

Yours and Clives comments do ring true about alot of the parties having alot in common, and what does it matter who runs the show? Our political spectrum consists of parties "smushed" up in mostly in center, center-right, and center-left leanings. Occassionally, you get parties like the Wildrose and former Reform party that, socially speaking (an issue like gay marriage for instance), do separate themselves by being more "right-wing".

Its tough gig selling democracy sometimes; I know this, because for the first time in my 15 yrs of teaching, I am actually teaching junior high Social Studies (instead of math). Trying to fire up 13 yr olds about an election is...ah,...a little difficult. But c'est la vie; its the natural by-product of living in a great, stable, first-world country, where, relatively speaking, the livin' is pretty easy. We take alot for granted, including the incredible gift of voting; depsite it flaws, its frustrations, its messiness.

My solution (for the students) is somehow try and incorporate lessons about democracy using "software" like Minecraft or Call of Duty, lol. That will engage them!

Smitty

i think we'll see more of this as the wild rose goes through the election process.....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/stor...nse-friday.html

....i don't believe they'll win this election (much like the reform party in the beginning) but in the future you never know....and in herald apr 7 it notes how ms. smith will not discuss her personal view on abortion or conscience rights.....seems odd.....

....citizen initiatives?.....ummm isn't that why we elect people to govern?....state your policies and positions and carry them out during your term.....

Excellent poll smitty. Thanks.

Okay, so only 24 have voted (hardy Gallup stuff), but what I find incredibly confusing is that when there is an "eco-enviro-climate-regulatory-enforcement-habitat-forestry" thread here people tend to want to burn the federal and provincial PCs at the stake. "They don't protect the rivers, forests, riparian areas, etc etc etc...."

Yet given the platforms of the parties, WRP might be considered to be less eco-friendly than the PCs. WRP is way more to the economic right and more social conservatives ... way more so than the PCs. According the party platorms the AB PCs are middle of the road and only slightly to the economic right.

So if find the poll results not consistent with common comments on the forum.

Lordy! Don't tell me you guys think Danielle is a hotty and yer voting with yer hormones? Say it ain't so. :P

Not that I will be voting NDP but

"Mason also committed to declaring the Castle Special Place in southwestern Alberta a protected park."

http://www2.canada.com/story.html?id=6386654

Language warning in this video.

Can you imagine if the WRP made

ad? It would headline news on those..well, you know...those left wing, pinko radio and TV stations. (Sort of a joke... :P )

Good grief.

Endorsed by Allison? One doubts that.

Monday will be interesting.

Guest NamasteMushroom
I'm still a little stunned by this poll. All of you on here regularly claim to be "progressives" and state "it wasn't me that voted for this government" but when the anonymous poll comes out, the right wing lunatic parties are leading by a country mile. No wonder there's never a meaningful discussion on this forum about moving forward with adaptive fisheries management.

Here's some insight for you people who think the PC is so much better than the wildrose: http://www.toryorwildrose.ca/?q=1

Indeed.

I have to agree, I always find it so weird that both federally and provincially the Cons always win in this province by a ridiculous percentage, but I can never find anyone who admits to voting for them????

Indeed.

I have to agree, I always find it so weird that both federally and provincially the Cons always win in this province by a ridiculous percentage, but I can never find anyone who admits to voting for them????

I've voted Tory Provincially and Federally for the last 22 years. Just might do it again this time.

Dryfly your link is done by a bunch of anti Harper folk who don't like Smith(She's a big Harper backer) http://www.ineverthoughtidvotepc.com/

Guest NamasteMushroom
I've voted Tory Provincially and Federally for the last 22 years. Just might do it again this time.

Dryfly your link is done by a bunch of anti Harper folk who don't like Smith(She's a big Harper backer) http://www.ineverthoughtidvotepc.com/

There's one.

....now if I just find someone who admits to voting for Rob Anders.

Guest NamasteMushroom
I am voting for whoever first stops robo calling my house daily.

Even if that party believes in Climate Change?

Say it ain't so, I thought you were one of those 'the world is flat' kind of guys.

Well I'm just going to come right out and say it, I'm your typical apathetic canadian genx'er.

I always vote for the social or eco parties just to be counted. I think Rick nailed it on the head for me, it's sums up in a nutshell how I look at canadian politics. It's a big smoke show as far as I can tell, that's an ignorant statement I know but it's how I feel. I'm a healthy, white, mid 30's, unmarried, childless, tradesperson who has been sucking on the oilsands tit since I was born. My country takes care of me for better or worse. I know this sounds naive but I don't feel like my vote matters or makes any difference; going back to what Clive was mentioning about the "quality" of the votes. I would consider my vote to be of much lower quality than someone like Clive, to use an example, who in my assumptions is a wiser, more well informed, more experienced fellow than myself.

So, after chatting about this for the last few weeks and getting a few opinions about my riding in particular I decided to vote PC. Might as well have cast me in that video. I'm regretting my decision solely based on the fact that I'm ashamed to not be more informed/involved in my government. I feel sick about it actually, and I think this might be the tipping point for me. I do care about my country and it's about time I get involved, it might not be a matter of life or death but it will impact me on the ground level.

Or I may just run into the bush and never come back....

................. someone like Clive, to use an example, who in my assumptions is a wiser, more well informed, more experienced fellow than myself.......................

Don't say stuff like that -- now Clive'll have to get a larger hat. :lol: