Fly Fusion Forums

Worms On The Bow P.s This May Suck!

Fishing worms on the Bow is a very productive and enjoyable way to fish. There are hundreds of variations including bobbers, leaders, worms, nymphing styles, presentation etc . Feel free to share a story about your rig.

I went on the Bow to my favourite park and walk spot to swing some new minnows I made in the winter - didn't do that well probably (maybe) because there was a young angler there. He was nimphing worms, we had a chat, he was so proud to show me all of his flies he'd been tying. When I seen his worm hooks I said they were real eye catchers. That style of hook, he reluctantly said, got one small rainbow in the eye earlier, but he was proud of his hand tied flies, and insisted I try one. It looked like he had hundreds. So I tied one behind my minnow, swung the flies thru the pool and hooked a small rainbow in the mouth and into the eye, just like I said would happen. This style of hook should be banned from the river. I felt so bad I called it a day and walked back to the truck with my head low. Turned on FFC to report this type of hook. On the pic below, the bottom hook is the one in question. The top two are ones I use and have never had a problem with.

post-3881-1332797099.jpeg

How's your rig look?

Use pliers to straighten your worm out giving it a tight bend at the hook gap so no trout get injured when they are starving.

I went on the Bow to my favourite park and walk spot to swing some new minnows I made

post-3881-1332797099.jpeg

How's your rig look?

Use pliers to straighten your worm out giving it a tight bend at the hook gap so no trout get injured when they are starving.

that's called english bait hook. I only use that hook to tie my worm. Never have problem hooking into fish's eye.

I'm surprised every time i look into the worm bins at fly shops and theres always that bait hook.

Myself I've gouged a few eyes out with that hook when it first came out and have switched to a small gape streamer hook ever since.

we've talked about this before and i can't remember who posted it but someone makes a better hook then the bait hook.Not sure who makes it.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

never had that eye problem with those hooks, but i do seconds the swiming nymph hook for most flies as it does really give the effect of movement or thrashing for something to grab onto in the case of stone flies. But i still and will use that hook for worms as it works very well.

Was out fishing today -met some members from FFC - proud - all of us had worms on our rigs somewhere. No one had one of the worms in question (earlier discussed). It was an excellent day -hooked one twenty plus brown trout I thought on the minnow, but when I got home the hook was straightened on the worm hook. My fish must have eaten the worm.

post-3881-1332978867.jpeg

remember: use 2X strong hooks or it will look worse than this. Check your hooks

With all the work some fly fishermen have done developing their best worm -hats off to you - its a lot of work. I'm a minnow pro - can't remember what a sanjuan worm from the bow looks like alive.

Anyone have a pic of a sanjuan worm or earthworm live? All pics welcome.

not sure if the fish eat the worm all year long- but why do all anglers have it on their line? I believe they do eat it, saddened to think the fish get hurt while sucking on my worm.

can't remember what a sanjuan worm from the bow looks like alive.

Anyone have a pic of a sanjuan worm or earthworm live? All pics welcome.

Here is a video, hope you will accept that as evidence too.

at 1:37

Cheers.

Rocks are rocks whether they are wet or dry... try and keep them in the water.

Fished those "english style" bait hooks for a while and had a few nasty hook ups.. Check out the Daiichi 1870's

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

just slayed a pod of white fish on the hook in question and did not eyeball a single one, did FH one in the belly with the dropper nymph off it though.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

yah, i think i was late on the foul'd fish and the dropper pulled accross its belly...oh well, if it dies its just pike food lol

Like to say thanks for all the members that contributed to this thred about the worm and the worm in question. Maybe I just had bad luck? I enjoyed discussing the worm in the Bow. I'm heading out on Sunday to screen the river on what the live worm looks like. Might take me days! Will post a pic when I find one, or does a member have one to share? We all like watching our fish swim away back to their prime spot in the river.

I went out on Sunday - no worms - where are they? Found this stonefly in the river under the rocks - wings and all! The water level came up two feet since two weeks ago when I was looking in the same place under rocks that were dry. These sanjuan worms must live deep in the middle of the river - I wasn't going to drown trying to find one - or is there really a red worm in the river? I challenge you members to screen the river and show the team a live worm.

post-3881-1333407685.jpeg

Anybody have ideas on proper screening of bugs on the river?