Fly Fusion Forums

Anybody Got Any Ideas

Folks,

I'm sure that everyone must get them. From salesmen to third world countries trying to sell you something. It's phone spam and it is really ticking me off.

Other than a called ID, is there anything else where you can get rid of the suckers.

What really does my attention is Fed Govt opening up cell phones to the same kind of abuse. IDIOTS!!!

regards,

Don

Everytime they call have them take you off thel list. By law they legally have to do so.

Only if the call center is in Canada....the Canadian laws have absolutely no power over telemarketers in the US and Caribbean (and anywhere else)...which is why such a huge percentage of these calling centers are now located outside Canada.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

i used to get these 210 calls from Texas, "this is your capt. speaking..." I told them to remove me from their call list and that if they called once more i will press charges and i have not got one since.

or you tell then to go kill themselves as they are not contributing to society....

Tried the Do not call list and all that did is move the calls to somewhere the people don't speak English well.

Generally I've got 2 techniques so far:

1] when they call and I have an connection, I just lay down the phone. After 10 minutes or so, they finally hang up. Figured if I got them, somebody else isn't getting bothered.

2] If the call is for my wife, I generally yell into the phone " She's dead - how many times do I have to tell you she's dead. I killed her." Usually the call just quietly disappears.

But I'm really looking for a revenge solution. Like "you going to perter me, I'm declaring war."

Help!!

Don

Get rid of your phones all together or just answer it and be an ***hole, everytime they something to you just say it right back or give them the Jim Rome manual buzzer aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! Its criminal Im surprized that this isnt illegal or some sort of privacy issue. I dont even try to answer anymore, my phone ringing is just another noise in my house. Its gotten to the point were when the phone rings you know its not for you so why bother!

Hi Don

Man is this frustrating. I've got a couple of suggestions.

1 Most outfits use an autodialer. Some of them are connected when a voice or noise is sensed. When you answer your phone, do so quietly. Then listen. If it's dead silent, then it's an auto dialer. Or just don't say hello at all. If you hear nothing or the chatter of a telemarketing office, hang up. If, in fact, it is a valid caller, they'll call back.

2 What is with these stores that ask for your phone number(or postal code) at the checkout? The cashier tells you that it is only used by that store or company. How the hell does she know, for sure? I just say no.

I kinda feel sorry for these frontline callers. They're just working for a wage. The real gonads are the ones in charge.

Cheers

Honestly, I think the only way you can stop it is to get a new number. A few years ago my wife and I went to a cell provider and did away with our land line, partially because of the number of telemarketers that were calling. Our latest phone numbers are consecutive, and while it's not as bad as it was, she continues to get unsolicted calls and I don't. The only thing we do differently is when ever I'm asked for a phone number at a store, online, etc I give them the number for the disconnected land line. I do give my actual number out when I have to, like when I deal with my bank, the government, etc but that is it.

Folks,

'Less I'm wrong. Your Federal Govt has now allowed telemarketers onto cell phones. And the best part - you pay for the call.

Wife tells me that I can't hunt 'em down and shoot them.

The real question always remains: Why does society allow people who abuse everything to live? Why should the a%%%holes of the world screw it for everyone else. Maybe its a good time to order them off the planet.

Don

Guest tallieho

don your plan to just leave the phone caller ,on the line hanging...not a good idea...i did that once,seems that when the line connects to you & don't hang up.some of these callers can still bill the call to you.I no i never talked to the sob in Tunsunia but i got a long distance call,redirected to me.

Primus or Vonage VOIP.

Comes default with more "features" you can shake a stick at. When I get a telemarketer call.. I say, "you got me at a really bad time, can you call back in 10 minutes?" They always say yes. Then I immediately login to my web portal, click on their number and choose "screen call". I then have a bunch of options.. forward to VM, Ring Busy, forward to another number, etc. I always put them on "virtual ring".. so when they call back, on their end it rings and rings and rings until they decide to hang up.. on my end, the phone doesn't ring at all.

If I'm feeling mischievous I may automatically forward them to each other.. I thought about forwarding them to the Calgary Police number.. but then I decided it's probably best I don't harass the police station that way! :P

Don,

I think if you are with Shaw you can block any particular number...

It is also referred to as Selective Call Rejection Service.

1. Dial *60

2. Dial 3 to turn it on

3. Push # to add a number

4. Dial the 10 digit number

5. Press # after you dialed the number and it will be added to your list

Repeat steps 3 to 5 to add more numbers, you can add up to 32 numbers

P

birchy,

Now that story kinda reminds me of a guy who was getting spam FAXs. He finally found the number where they originated. One Saturday afternoon, he took 3 sheets of paper and taped them into a loop in his FAX machine, dialed the number and pressed send. Well, his FAX machine did - all weekend. Paper and Paper and more paper was sent completely using up all the receivers FAX paper and clogged the FAX memory till it had a service guy call.

Solved the FAX problem. Our business used to get spam FAXs. CRTC solved the issue.

What is a shame though is that we have to go though the effort to get some piece of mind. Seems wrong somehow where I have to build bigger walls to keep the A$$$hole out.

And the worst part - some of the the trouble originated on Ottawa.

regards,

Don

Don,

I think if you are with Shaw you can block any particular number...

It is also referred to as Selective Call Rejection Service.

1. Dial *60

2. Dial 3 to turn it on

3. Push # to add a number

4. Dial the 10 digit number

5. Press # after you dialed the number and it will be added to your list

Repeat steps 3 to 5 to add more numbers, you can add up to 32 numbers

P

I have Shaw and was completely unaware of this feature!

Thanks Peter!

Folks,

I'm sure that everyone must get them. From salesmen to third world countries trying to sell you something. It's phone spam and it is really ticking me off.

Other than a called ID, is there anything else where you can get rid of the suckers.

What really does my attention is Fed Govt opening up cell phones to the same kind of abuse. IDIOTS!!!

regards,

Don

i dropped my house phone altogether 2 years ago and now use only my cell.i get no more than 1 spam call a week on my cell where i was getting 5 to 10 a week on the house phone.the rate plans for the cells have come down alot and with the fav 5 you can call 5 numbers anywhere anytime for no charge.for me it was a solution.

Primus or Vonage VOIP.

Comes default with more "features" you can shake a stick at. When I get a telemarketer call.. I say, "you got me at a really bad time, can you call back in 10 minutes?" They always say yes. Then I immediately login to my web portal, click on their number and choose "screen call". I then have a bunch of options.. forward to VM, Ring Busy, forward to another number, etc. I always put them on "virtual ring".. so when they call back, on their end it rings and rings and rings until they decide to hang up.. on my end, the phone doesn't ring at all.

If I'm feeling mischievous I may automatically forward them to each other.. I thought about forwarding them to the Calgary Police number.. but then I decided it's probably best I don't harass the police station that way! :P

But! The enemy has also learned to use VoIP. Remember the old "This is a warning that your car warranty has expired" fiasco? All done from a single source able to spoof any phone number they wanted. So blocking a number really has little benefit. Now, I haven't played alot of with VoIP so, perhaps you can block the caller by their IP?But, then they get around that with proxies...

I think the whole telecom infrastructure is full of vulnerabilities and there is really little we can do today to prevent phone spam.

andy rooney once said to hit the # pound repeatedly when you have an autodialer calling you. i do that. not sure if it really helps or not. the idea of keeping them on the line and then putting down the phone is a good one too although not sure it will really stop anything but it must be annoying on the other end.

oh yeah andy also said to on mail solicitations to use the prepaid postage envelope to send the solicitation letter back to the sender - i usually write on the ask letter "stop sending me unwanted solicitations or i will never donate to your cause again." i do that regularly and am finding less solicitations by mail too. sometimes i give certain charities breaks (et. kids cancer) but not many.

brndawg,

You've now identified a whole new class of people who should be excluded from air.

Learned a lot about charities when my mom-inlaw was having some real trouble and I was staying with her. They are relentless and uncaring. Picking on someone near 90 with dementia is right up their alley.

Bloodsucking leeches.

Don

Guest Sundancefisher

Turn on the radio to a talk show...place phone in front and leave...so long as it is not a cell :-)

Otherwise...whenever they call just put the phone down after saying explain it all in detail to you.

If they realize they are wasting their time...they will take you off the list.