Fly Fusion Forums

I Guess I Have My Wife's Blessing For Tying This Winter..

birchy

get a copy of The Benchside Reference as well

CDock has this one book too that is coil bound.. and the pages flip seperately. The top 3/4 is how to tie the fly, and the bottom 1/4 is how to do the basics.. like the hackle and wings and dubbing and stuff. (I think?)

Is this the one?

CDock has this one book too that is coil bound.. and the pages flip seperately. The top 3/4 is how to tie the fly, and the bottom 1/4 is how to do the basics.. like the hackle and wings and dubbing and stuff. (I think?)

Is this the one?

That's awesome Birchy...what a nice wife you have ;)

I second that....Mike loves this book. I don't know if it's coil bound...I could be wrong. But whatever it is, I guess it's the quintessential guide to fly tying. I wouldn't know....I couldn't tie a fly to save my life - can't even wrap a SJW. But I might be convinced to go to FFT's when Al starts running it again. Just for the beer of course.

Is this the one?

Forgot about that one! That's "The Benchside Introduction To Fly Tying" by Leeson and Schollmeyer, excellent book and a little cheaper than The Fly Tier's Benchside Reference by Leeson and Schollmeyer. The Benchside Introduction is geared to beginners and OFers thinking about gettin' back into tying :lol: The Benchside Reference is more of a expanded book on techniques for all levels of tyers. Both are well worth the money.

Forgot about that one! That's "The Benchside Introduction To Fly Tying" by Leeson and Schollmeyer, excellent book and a little cheaper than The Fly Tier's Benchside Reference by Leeson and Schollmeyer. The Benchside Introduction is geared to beginners and OFers thinking about gettin' back into tying :lol: The Benchside Reference is more of a expanded book on techniques for all levels of tyers. Both are well worth the money.

Cool. You can buy both of them together on Amazon.com for $93.

http://www.amazon.com/Benchside-Introducti...4961557-0822432

I cant afford to buy any books so i just use the internet...thats how i learned...tons of resources out there, just an option..or use both.

Not that I have looked at either of these books but I find the internet to be an excellent resource too. my computer is right next to my fly tying desk so I find the pattern I want and can follow step by step just by pivoting my chair. who knows maybe I will get these books for christmas.

lucky boy,

does she realize tying is addictive and you'll probably end up spending around $500 on a vice, tools and misc other supplies? i'm being conservative. if i added up all my tying things i easily have at least $1000 worth of stuff. but then again, i have been collecting supplies for years

if i can find my box o'crap, i probably have a bunch of extra hair and such if you want some to get you started.

is fly tying tuesdays a guy thing or a select few invities or is it an open thing? i'm always open to learning things and trying out new patterns.

lucky boy,

does she realize tying is addictive and you'll probably end up spending around $500 on a vice, tools and misc other supplies? i'm being conservative. if i added up all my tying things i easily have at least $1000 worth of stuff. but then again, i have been collecting supplies for years

if i can find my box o'crap, i probably have a bunch of extra hair and such if you want some to get you started.

is fly tying tuesdays a guy thing or a select few invities or is it an open thing? i'm always open to learning things and trying out new patterns.

OK....this brings up an interesting question. Sorry for the threadjack here, but if you guys had to estimate, how much would you say your fly tying hobby is worth in supplies? I mean everything that is on your desk. I'd bet that Mike's stuff is worth more than the 46 inch flat screen hanging on our wall. And I ain't joking. How can a flock of feathers possibly be worth a hundred and change?????

hell, i just spent 120.00 just on stuff i needed for tying beaded flies because someone decided the swap was all about beaded flies. initial investments $20.00, i loved it so much i went out and bought a bunch of stuff to make different kinds of beaded flies. they look really pretty.

my estimate was just for hardware, books, tools, eyes and misc thread, chenielle, portible gear bag, boxes and thingy holders

i get 99% of my fur and feathers from a taxidermist who gives it to me for free from his pile of cuttings. but if i had had to buy all of my fur and feathers, based on the size of the pieces. you could add on another $1000.

flyangler Posted Today, 08:28 AM Beware that slippery slope between new tyers and collectors of roadkill.

hey i was just talking to someone about that last night, on my most recent road trip, i saw 2 raccoons on the road and started thinking... that would make an interesting fly pattern, except the hide is too thick to deal with. lol. i then thought to myself. bad though, not going there.

You don't wanna know how much I spend on materials hooks and vices. The FT Bible is a good one to start out on though. It has a nice selection of nymphs and streamers. Keep in mind it's written by a UK angler, so a lot of the pattern have a bit of a UK bias to them. They will still most definitely work here though. Welcome to the dark corner of fly fishing. :)

OK....this brings up an interesting question. Sorry for the threadjack here, but if you guys had to estimate, how much would you say your fly tying hobby is worth in supplies?

I must be between $2-3k. However, if I tallied all the flies I have (not counting the ones I fished, lost, gave away over the years) I have far more $ in flies then that (@ $2/fly)

The best thing about rolling you own is you can twist up patterns you can't buy. That makes those flies priceless. Especially if you are catching fish on them when all those around you aren't.

I must be between $2-3k. However, if I tallied all the flies I have (not counting the ones I fished, lost, gave away over the years) I have far more $ in flies then that (@ $2/fly)

The best thing about rolling you own is you can twist up patterns you can't buy. That makes those flies priceless. Especially if you are catching fish on them when all those around you aren't.

Cost of materials to date $1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.00

Time to learn to tie to date about 48 years.

Feeling I get when taking a wily brown on my own flies, teach someone to tie, or come up with a new pattern... priceless

Materials, tools, lamp,vice et. 1500.00 estimate

3 large boxes with nymphs, streamers, dries with about 150 in each. 1000.00

boxes carried in vest at a given time 1200

total 3700.00

Yikes!!!!!

glad my wife does not read this stuff. Ha Ha

However, I do have a lot of stocked up supplies that are paid for. i like to tie during the winter with the Habs on and a cold one. I plan to wrap 1000 this year so I think it pays off. Some differ on this.

I never factor in time on the argument does it save $$$$ as it is a worthwhile hobby.

Anthing to justify this to myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never factor in time on the argument does it save $$$$ as it is a worthwhile hobby.

I don't factor in time because I love it.

Some people say they don't have the time to tie. I call BS. We all have time. Its our choice what we do with it. Read a book, do home improvements, walk the dog, take pictures, earn brownie points or even go fishing (tough to do on a cold winter night).

So, everyone has time to tie flies (mind you, some more then others). They just choose to do something else (because they don't really enjoy it).

Their loss. ;)