Fly Fusion Forums

Net Building

gentlemang

I was at Mitchell lake this fall and I saw an older fellow with his rod bent right over for like ten minutes. Finally I headed over to see what he had on and I helped him land a beautiful 23+ inch brown trout. I took a picture for him and he said he would pick it up the next day and he did. He also gave me a beautiful net he made. It's my favorite net I have he said he makes a bunch of them every year and gives them to friends and stuff. I'll have to take a picture of it sometime when I don't have so much homework.

It's not quite as nice as the nets on here though wow great job!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for bringing up an old post but DANG!!! those are some beautiful nets you have all built. Gonna have to look into that book cause I am very interested in looking into this. Outta curiosity what would be te minimum required tools to buld one of these?

Again beautiful nets! Nice work!

Mike

Hey Mike.. thanks for the props..

Tools required... hmmmm well I am thinking there could be several options. But to make the one you see here, I used:

a router with a 1/4 roundover bit ( you could use a sander to soften the edges.. but for an even top notch job a router is the choice)

a dewalt table saw ( not a big industrial one.. just a small contractor style one)

about 10 C clamps (3")

a jig saw ( to cut out the template on which to mold the strips)

Belt or orbital sander ( I used very hard woods so.. so all the rough sanding was done with a belt sander)

and lots of sand paper 100 through 600 grit.

I really enjoyed the process... although it was alittle frusterating and some trial and error as i snapped 2 or 3 strips while bending them to the form.

would love to see what you come up with if you go ahead with it.. I am not on too much but feel free to PM me if you need some tips or help.

Canadianfish has provided a good basic list of tools that I would see as the bare minimum. As you move up the line in the tool department, it just gets easier to do a really good job. Therefore, let me add some stuff that is in the "nice to have" category (tools are like fly rods -- you can never have enough)

router table -- for rounding over the edges and cutting a slot for the string that holds the net bag

bandsaw -- for cutting out the templates and pre-shaping the handles (i.e. where the net frame joins the handle)

a good carbide tip rip blade for your table saw (minimum 40 teeth) -- for cutting the thin strips for the frame

surface planer -- for reducing the strips to a uniform thickness with a good flat surface each side

drawing program -- like Autosketch, which allows you to design the frame so as to get the exact perimeter and shape you desire, and to print full scale drawings for templates

Hope this helps. Terry

Thanks for the help guys, nothing too fancy needed tool wise. Thinking I will gives this a try as another little hobby. I'm lucky that y job can allow me several months a year off so lots of time to play. Thnk I may give this a try this summer, already have most of the tools and plan on picking up most of the others anyhow.

Once again.

Thanks all.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We built a couple of nets this winter/spring.

I bought ghost nets to put on them but the string is too short to go all the way around.

Does anybody have an idea as to where to buy string. Kite string is too thin and Michael's doesn't have anything other than hemp or cotton which probably wouldn't last that long.

thanks

BK

You can also try one of the camping stores or MEC. That carry lots of different cord & rope. Paracord can be bought a Crown Surplus in Inglewood for a decent price.

Gel spun backing may also work. It is pretty damn strong.

Andrew

The stuff I use was bought at Michael's probably 10 years ago. The last time this subject came up, it didn't appear they carried it anymore but you might find something similar. It's a very heavy black crochet cord (Opera size 5 by Coats). Although it's only about 1mm in diameter, it's plenty strong, and matches closely the material in a C&R mesh bag. Terry

We built a couple of nets this winter/spring.

I bought ghost nets to put on them but the string is too short to go all the way around.

Does anybody have an idea as to where to buy string. Kite string is too thin and Michael's doesn't have anything other than hemp or cotton which probably wouldn't last that long.

thanks

BK

For the string I'd try the black braided ice fishing line that usually comes with tip-ups. ::ice fish:: It is a black, braided synthetic that should be about the right thickness and plenty strong enough.

Thanks guys

As we're using ghost bags, we don't want the string too thin for fear it will cut the rubber.

After I posted yesterday, the lights came on and I went to Brodin's web site. They use 80lb Dacron which is available as planer board line.

Oncwe again thanks for your posts

BK

Tejas Ultra lace is what you want.

post-229-1335533942.jpg post-229-1335533902.jpg

Strong and durable. This lace will outlast the wood frame when installed properly. Michaels sells this stuff but unfortunately only in large (read, expensive) rolls. A small craft shop here in Lethbridge (The Craft Store) sells it by the foot.

You need 3X the circumference of the net hoop...that's a bit generous (and a PITA when starting to lace the net in), but you must have enough and only 2X is not enough.

You can read about installing net bags into a frame in this book here.

Clive

preview_mock_cover_new_jan_26_09_0480_copper_small.jpg

Brunsie,

What is your address - I got a a couple of thousand yards of 110 lb. Dacron line [similar to backing] . It's what I use on my nets. Got mine from BC where it's used to land halibut.

No rot - no stretch.

Cabella's sells a similar product. http://www.cabelas.com/product/2008-Cabela...ch-All+Products

Don