Fly Fusion Forums

Net Building

gentlemang

I am thinking about building a net. I can make the template and everything with no issues.

My question is what is the best wood to make a net out of? I was thinking something like cherry or maple.

Looks like a pretty straight forward process to me.

Any recommendations or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

Greg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've built at least two dozen nets and it's a lot of fun. I've used a wide range of woods. For the frames, woods like purple heart, white oak, ash, and walnut are good choices. The critical thing is you need to have very straight grain. For the handles, since you are not bending the wood, anything goes. I've used cherry, walnut, birds eye maple, and even roasted curly maple. The nets shown below have purple heart and ash for the frames, and roasted curly maple for the handle. Anyway, feel free to PM me if you want to discuss details. Terry

2366.jpg

2429.jpg

Terry those are great looking nets. I may PM you when I get to building them if thats ok. I have one project that I need to finish first before I can start the net.

Headscan, thats a good idea and I am actually embarrassed that I didn't even think about doing that after veiwing several on the web.

BBT I will definately look into that book.

Thanks for the tips.

If anyone else has some pictures I would love to see them.

Nice job Terry they look great.How is the handle attached to the rim at the neck?Any special glue or is it screwed?

Just glue -- I've been using a one part waterproof glue like Titebond III. It's good stuff, and the wood will fail before the glue.

There are basically three steps in the net building process -- at least the way I do it. The first is to steam the strips and clamp them to the jig. The next is to glue up the strips and clamp them back in the jig. This photo shows that step. If you want tight glue lines -- critical for a high quality job -- you need lots of clamps and properly shaped clamping cauls to distribute the clamping pressure. I designed the nets on a drafting program (AutoSketch) so I can print full size drawing templates which I use to make the clamping jig and clamping cauls.

0987.jpg

The part of the jig where the frame meets the handle is removable for the last step. The handle is shaped to conform with the curve of the frame, and the frame is then glued to the handle. The first photo in my previous post was taken during this last glue up. The extended part of the frame is trimmed off, and then it's off to the router table. The edges are knocked off with a round over bit, and a groove is made with a slot-cutting bit (to protect the string used for attaching the net bag). Then the holes are drilled for the attachment string. Finally, it's a ton of sanding and putting on the final finish.

• 4 weeks later...
Kind of late to chime in on this one but where do you find the actual net material? By the way those nets look awesome!

Darryl

I sized my nets so they will take off-the-shelf replacement bags from Streamside. A lot of shops sell or can order them, and you can also order them from their website (http://www.streamsidenets.com/canada/)

Terry

• 1 month later...

After reading on this forum... I decided to try this out.

It isnt as simple as one might think.. and takes more time then I expected. But the resulst so far are fantastic!

I used Rosewood and Maple. The frame is VERY sturdy. Going to put a ghost net on it.

I think I am going to build a large boat net next..

P1030820.jpg

P1030822.jpg

P1030824.jpg

P1030828.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Sorry for bringing up an old post but DANG!!! those are some beautiful nets you have all built. Gonna have to look into that book cause I am very interested in looking into this. Outta curiosity what would be te minimum required tools to buld one of these?

Again beautiful nets! Nice work!

Mike