Fly Fusion Forums

Is It Just Me??

Taco

Is it just me or are the lakes friggin' slow right now? 7-8hrs over 2 days 3 potholes from the prairies to mountains usin' all of my limited stillwater knowhow for a grand total 2 dinks released, 2 quick LDRs and 3-4 short strikes. :$*%&: :$*%&: :$*%&: :$*%&: :$*%&: :$*%&:

Slower than normal but you just have to find the depth the fish are holding at. Sometimes they are sitting right on the bottom and therefore you must present the fly very slowly within a foot of the bottom. Other lakes the fish are holding half way down...you fish the bottom or the top and you won't have much luck. In cold water there often is a short window when the fish get active. Additionally, bright sun and no wave action can also really limit the number of fish moving around.

One lake I fish just significantly picked up yesterday. Water clarity and temperature finally getting to a zone to make the fish active.

We fished deep and slow at a neighborhood lake yesterday. Ok, uber fished deep and slow, and I did after I saw him catch a couple! Got 4 nice fish in the last hour or so. Still not fast and furious, but getting better.......

Slower than normal but you just have to find the depth the fish are holding at. Sometimes they are sitting right on the bottom and therefore you must present the fly very slowly within a foot of the bottom. Other lakes the fish are holding half way down...you fish the bottom or the top and you won't have much luck. In cold water there often is a short window when the fish get active. Additionally, bright sun and no wave action can also really limit the number of fish moving around.

One lake I fish just significantly picked up yesterday. Water clarity and temperature finally getting to a zone to make the fish active.

Cool

Lack of wave action ain't much of a problem down here however whitecaps are. Plus I see a fish finder purchase somewhere in my future...

Taco, I have a strong alligator clip with a small lead weight attached. I clamp it on my fly and drop it down to check depth. Very cheap, very useful tool. Moving around a bit allows you to "map" the bottom until you get a fish finder.

Taco,

Had some interesting times over the past 3 weeks.

Police was OK for one day FOR ME - others did well - a friend got a dozen or so while I floundered around and landed 2.

Manitoba was OK with some landed. Best day was typical with 14 landed between 3.5>7 lbs. Other days it was rain, wind and or rain & wind with hail.

Good meeting you @ Police. Lake fishing does extend the fishing season somewhat.

Don

""I see a fish finder purchase somewhere in my future...""

Such a good decision. Even a cheapy is a great tool at least to tell you depth and show structure and temp!

Don't do it. The fish finder is actually located in your cranium.

Noce Feesh! I almost cheat to catch one or two like that but.............

Don it was good to a voice to the face. It does extend the season but the learnin' curve is steep for a commited small stream OFer but we're havin' fun.

Taco, don't know what it was like further south, but I fished a couple of lakes (one a neighborhood and one a big dugout at a farm). The fish were far more active- and pulling MUCH harder. I think they may actually think spring is coming, though it was only +4 at 11 am where I was on Saturday.