Fly Fusion Forums

One Less Grizz

Yeah I would have done the same thing except go bear hunting in the first place. They weren't there to kill grizzlies just black bears, how noble. This reminds me of an old saying... sometimes when you play with the bull... well you know the rest.

• Like 1

3 guys out on a Monday night... looking to shoot a black bear and instead shoot a Griz...

They look like real proud hunters.

But they are alive... there is a shortage of young "adults' and too many bears anyways.

Or they could just be full of BS and were really Grizzly hunting. We will never know.

Also I hope they dont get to keep the Grizzly, it should go with the COs to prevent such events.

Yeah I would have done the same thing except go bear hunting in the first place. They weren't there to kill grizzlies just black bears, how noble. This reminds me of an old saying... sometimes when you play with the bull... well you know the rest.

But it's okay to stab a fish with a hook, pull it through the water, hold it up breathless for a picture and send it on its way to be caught again? A little hypocritical? There is no shortage of black bears, hence anyone can shoot 2 on a general tag without a draw, the same can't be said about bull trout or cutties.

PS I am not a bearhunter, but see no problem with someone excerising their right to legally hunt black bears.

Or they could just be full of BS and were really Grizzly hunting. We will never know.

Also I hope they dont get to keep the Grizzly, it should go with the COs to prevent such events.

Shooting the bear in the head seems like it would be in self defence of a charging bear. They will not be allowed to keep the carcass. I can't believe the amount of people questioning these kids actions, reading the comments from the Suns website made me sick. Seems to me like they were good kids, and the one friend made a hell of a shot to save his friends life. I would rather my kids be out hunting in the woods then drinking in a parking lot. The people that put that grizz's life ahead of those 3 young adults need to give their head a shake.

Shooting the bear in the head seems like it would be in self defence of a charging bear. They will not be allowed to keep the carcass. I can't believe the amount of people questioning these kids actions, reading the comments from the Suns website made me sick. Seems to me like they were good kids, and the one friend made a hell of a shot to save his friends life. I would rather my kids be out hunting in the woods then drinking in a parking lot. The people that put that grizz's life ahead of those 3 young adults need to give their head a shake.

100% agree.

But it's okay to stab a fish with a hook, pull it through the water, hold it up breathless for a picture and send it on its way to be caught again? A little hypocritical? There is no shortage of black bears, hence anyone can shoot 2 on a general tag without a draw, the same can't be said about bull trout or cutties.

PS I am not a bearhunter, but see no problem with someone excerising their right to legally hunt black bears.

Yes, I admit I like to harass trout and I do struggle with the ethics of if at times. I don't however kill wildlife for for food or just for the THRILL of it.

Three young adults looking to kill bears for fun get charged by a grizzly where he lives/hunts for his well being. Hmmmm... I'm sad for the bear.

I quit hunting when I was 22 or so. I really only bird hunted, and I hated cleaning them. I was certainly brought up that you always ate what you shot, so since I didn't want to clean the birds anymore, I quit.

I don't really understand why anyone would shoot a bear. I have a really, really good friend who does it. He is a super guy, someone who would always have your back, notmatter what. I've told him before that I didn't get it. He tried to explain to me why he loves it so much and I still didn't get it. But I do know that he has the same passion for hunting bears that I have for fishing. To me, it is a very, very slippery slope if I start passing moral judgements on his chosen activity. The truth is that if hook mortality is even 1%, then I will kill more trout this year than he will kill bears in his entire life.

So who has the moral high ground here? Neither of us. Both of our chosen passions result in the death(s) of the objects of those passions. There are people just as opposed to us fishing as they are to hunting bears, or anything else for that matter. They see no difference between these activities. While as I said before, I don't understand the thrill in hunting big game, in the big scheme of things I guess I don't see much difference either. The picture of the boys standing with the dead bear isn't all that different from the hundred or so pictures of me proudly holding some big fish. No doubt that somewhere along the line, one of those fish died after I released it.

I am truly sorry a grizzly bear was killed. But I can't bring myself to pass judgement on those boys. I am far more happy that they survived.

I guess one thing Rick is there currently are (lets say) a few hundred thousand trout in the bow - millions of trout (and other fish) in Alberta and only 600 or so Grizzlies (maybe not an accurate number but few enough to be concerned - yeah call me an ecowennie, I guess)... Plus the majority don't eat griz!! Those are my issues. Why hunt something that needs too recover it's numbers (yes I know that vehicles [trains & cars] kill bears too!! All the more reason to protect them) and you can't eat - purely sport (or lack of sport IMO)!!

P

Nick, maybe you can comment (or not)... What's with the whole "baiting thing"?! Doesn't seem very sporting to me (not debating, just making my own comment/observation) - kind of like chumming for sharks...

P

first you cant hunt grizz, just black bear. secondly, you can and most do eat the meat off a black bear. At the very least you eat the hams, the bear i shot i eat all the meat, that you could realistically eat.

Not my type of hunting, to sit and wait for one to come in, but from my understanding the only real way to get them to come in with some sort of consistency. That is how i got mine, was baiting with popcorn and beavers. When we did shoot ours, we where asked buy a family member to take care of a few problems bears on there section west of Cremona, there neighbors, left for the summer and in there wake left lots of bird feed many bags of it on the back deck for the birdies, the short sighted city people did not realized that it would bring in bears as well. Like i said i shot it so i best eat too. I think more people should kill there own food and see the process just once so they do know where there food comes from.

I much perfer spot and stock deer hunting, elk or moose my self much to jittery to sit in a stand for more than 15 mins.

I guess one thing Rick is there currently are (lets say) a few hundred thousand trout in the bow - millions of trout (and other fish) in Alberta and only 600 or so Grizzlies (maybe not an accurate number but few enough to be concerned - yeah call me an ecowennie, I guess)... Plus the majority don't eat griz!! Those are my issues. Why hunt something that needs too recover it's numbers (yes I know that vehicles [trains & cars] kill bears too!! All the more reason to protect them) and you can't eat - purely sport (or lack of sport IMO)!!P

Peter, you are on a slippery slope my friend. So from your quoted comment I'll assume you wont be fishing bullies this year. there are a fraction of bull trout that once was and we don't eat them

Pete, I knew somebody was going to argue the numbers side. I won't say it's not relevant, because it is. But if we as fishermen followed the same logic, we would have stopped all fishing in any waters that holds bull trout once they became protected. A certain percentage of bull trout released will certainly die. So in order to protect them, we can't fish for them or any other fish in Bull trout water. Which is pretty much all flowing water in Alberta.

EDit: shoot, jayhad beat me to it.

Jason & Rick,

I'd be for a total moratorium on bullies... One thing I'll add, though, is one doesn't technically "bait" a hook for bully trout, but some do... Also, can't really H & R a bear now can you?!

P